Talk

Advanced search

to think I shouldn't have to request a MW visit when I come home from hospital after giving birth???

(22 Posts)
feelingratheroverwhelmed Fri 21-Oct-11 21:39:32

Just curious how long others have waited for the follow-up visit?

I came home on wednesday, expected to see someone yesterday. Called today, and got the impression they were doing me a favour by offering to send someone tomorrow if I wanted (clearly there were no plans in place for me to be visited).

I've got stitches due to come out tomorrow at the very least, never mind how my and DS are getting on generally. Is this normal or do I just live in a really crap area?

(After DS1 I came home on a saturday and was visited on a sunday)

AgentZigzag Fri 21-Oct-11 21:41:53

I would have expected them to be offering to come round, it does sound a bit odd you've had to chase them.

What's your care been like throughout your pregnancy?

PomBearAtTheGatesOfDoom Fri 21-Oct-11 21:42:33

Where I live, the midwife comes for ten days after getting home - with my fourth and fifth babies, they would ask if I wanted a visit the next day and if not, leave it a day but come the following day. After ten days or "when they are satisfied all is well" they 'sign over' mother and baby to the health visitor who does the visits (I forget the exact schedule) until the last one when the child is 3.5-4 for preschool. It does sound a bit crap that you had to ask, but some areas do seem to be totally unable to cope with the numbers of newborns and lack of midwives (or so the papers would have us believe). I think it can definitely depend on where you live.

littleducks Fri 21-Oct-11 21:44:14

Was this not discussed when you were discharged? I thought everyone was visited at home after a baby shock tbh, second time round I didn't really need many visits (midwife came twice compared to daily for 10 days with dd)but it was nice to know there was someone there and available

MillyR Fri 21-Oct-11 21:45:03

I seem to remember that visits are less frequent the second time around.

ENormaSnob Fri 21-Oct-11 21:47:42

At my trust we visit the day after discharge.

Further visits are then arranged according to individual requirements.

gordyslovesheep Fri 21-Oct-11 21:47:53

I had 10,7 and 10 days - it's normal I thought to have daily aftercare - especially with a section of stitches - how odd.

fivegomadindorset Fri 21-Oct-11 21:48:11

Our PCT have a 5 and 10 day policy, they will come and vist on the fifth day and the tenth day after you have had the baby, my community midwives thought different and came everyday but your PCT may have the same policy.

TonksmarriedaWerewolf Fri 21-Oct-11 21:49:26

2 years ago i came out of hosp on the Thurs after having DC3. I took him shopping on my own on the Friday. MW turned up at home and was very unimpressed to discover i wasn't there!

I've always had the visits for 10 days then signed over to HV.

YANBU

feelingratheroverwhelmed Fri 21-Oct-11 21:51:50

The MW care is quite patchy round here TBH. My MW was changed for my last couple of visits as they changed the system and I realised today I didn't have her contact details as they are on the front of my notes which I no longer have, bugger.
Basically, I wasn't too surprised that I had to chase them today!

wigglesrock Fri 21-Oct-11 21:52:47

With my first two I had a visit day 1, 2, 3, then day 5 for heel prick then two more visits before day 10 where I was signed over to HV.

I had my third 8 months ago and still had a visit on day 1 and day 2, day 3 then heel prick test. Further visits were arranged as and when I needed them, but they rang every day or so to say hello and see if I wanted them to call. The HV visits have been a little more patchy this time.

JugsMcGee Fri 21-Oct-11 21:54:11

I was visited on day 3 and then I went back to the community hospital for checks on days 5, 7 and 10, when I was discharged to the HV.

Were they not going to see you at all?

feelingratheroverwhelmed Fri 21-Oct-11 21:56:33

No it wasn't discussed at discharged. This time I fear I was a victim of being a second time mum who didn;t really need much help / information imparting to them ( please see my breastfeeding rant thread!). I didn't ask as as I said, I assumed it was the same as before when you get visited the day after. All I asked about was when my stitches were due to come out.

Luckily I don't really feel I need to see them (apart from the stitches of course), though I would like DS weighed as we have had lots of feeding challenges so want to make sure we are on track. Also, I possibly would have gone out today had I not thought that they may come since they didn't bother yesterday.

feelingratheroverwhelmed Fri 21-Oct-11 21:58:34

Jugs the way the woman on the phone was talking certainly implied I wasn't on any lists and there were no plans. I could be wrong, of course, but that's how it seemed.

ddubsgirl Fri 21-Oct-11 21:59:02

when i had my twins the mv didnt know and asked why we had 2 of everything lol so just pointed at the carry cot and said thats why lol i think here they vist up to 7/10 after baby is born

MotherOfHobbit Fri 21-Oct-11 22:18:44

The HVs for my area were attached to a different hospital to the one I gave birth in. I ended up playing telephone tag to get an HV at all.
(People from area A said I was now B's responsibility and they'd sent the paperwork; people from area B said they had no record & couldn't do anything).
Very unimpressed.

scrivette Fri 21-Oct-11 22:29:52

I was supposed to have a visit the day after I was discharged but the quite frankly useless midwife forgot.

I should also have received visits on day five and ten.

worraliberty Fri 21-Oct-11 22:32:39

I got very few visits with my DS2 and hardly any with DS3 which was bliss

It meant I could lay in, in the mornings without them disturbing me.

MeconiumHappens Fri 21-Oct-11 23:13:47

You live in a patchy area! Standard around here is day after discharge, day 3/4 to weigh baby, day 5/6 for heel prick, day 10 for discharge and any you need in between for things like feeding support, checking jaundice etc. Sounds like theres been a missing link somewhere!

golemmings Fri 21-Oct-11 23:34:10

Both times I have had mw visit the day after discharge and again when dc was 10 days after which I was transferred to the hv. It was enough for me. We have a new hv regime so I get 2 visits now - hearing test and weighing and then 3 subsequent visits n one for weaning, one at 2 years and one inbetween. Before we had one home visit and if you wanted a hv, you went to the clinic.

AbyCat Sat 22-Oct-11 00:05:07

Ha ha ha, I didn't even get one proper home visit after my c-section with my first baby. Discharged from hospital the day after the section, & then got a call 2 days later to say that as it was a weekend & bank holiday, could we come into a totally different hospital for a check up, as they didn't have enough midwives for home visits. Then I had to go in again 4 days later for stitches to be removed. Oh, and then someone turned up on day 12 at home, but we were out, & it was a bit late by then for any useful help.
On the other hand, we got to know our HV straight away, & she's been brilliant over the past few months, always willing to come over if we ever needed her.

feelingratheroverwhelmed Sat 22-Oct-11 20:39:43

Aby that's awful! It's amazing how different things are in different areas.
I got a visit today, and the MW is going to flag up that something was clearly missed as they only got my information this morning. Apparantly if they'd have been told yesterday when I called that I was waiting for a visit they could / would have sent someone out straight away as there was a spare MW and I'm only 5 mins up the road.

But hey ho. I now have to go to the clinic next friday for my follow up visit, and I'll be contacted and visited by a HV within a couple of weeks. So you don't get much round here anyway!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now