Talk

Advanced search

to think dh should not come home drunk the evening before a long journey

(23 Posts)
GeorgeEliot Fri 21-Oct-11 20:59:33

Tomorrow he has a 4 hour car journey with the dc and the dog to visit family (I am staying at home because i have to work).

he is slurring his words, clearly drunk. he left London on the train at 7 and only went out for a drink after work with his boss, so he must really have been caning it.

Madinitials Fri 21-Oct-11 21:16:03

YANBU. I would be very annoyed, especially since he is driving your DC too. What time is he setting off tomorrow?

GeorgeEliot Fri 21-Oct-11 21:18:01

he is planning to leave at 11.

Just heard the details, 2 of them put away 2 bottles of wine costing £70 apiece, on an empty stomach.

twats.

Scoundrel Fri 21-Oct-11 21:22:43

It's 13 hours until he's planning on driving, if his liver is normal it should take one hour per each unit of alcohol to break down and a bottle of wine is approximately 10 units. So long as he drinks plenty of water and gets decent night's sleep he should be fine.

GeorgeEliot Fri 21-Oct-11 21:34:42

Have figured out that in the morning he will be sober, yes, but he will also be hungover -- which will make him grumpy and bad-tempered with the dc. And I won't be there to smooth things over.

He gets very angry if, say there's a traffic jam - and will be worse if he's tired and hungover.

WaitingForMe Fri 21-Oct-11 21:35:28

I'm with Scoundrel, it's not like he has an early start.

SazZaVoom Fri 21-Oct-11 21:38:21

Well, as you said you won't have to deal with the fallout, so just ignore it. No point getting stressed, especially now after the deed is done, so to speak.

I am sure his DC will inform him if he is a grumpy sod tomorrow.

2rebecca Fri 21-Oct-11 21:41:17

It sounds as though you are trying to sort out his problems and life for him. People get ratty with kids on long car journeys even if they aren't hung over.
He sounds stupid but he'll learn, be glad you aren't going with him.

squeakyfreakytoy Fri 21-Oct-11 21:43:08

YABU.. he drank one bottle of wine, and has 14 hours yet before he drives. He will be fine.

peeriebear Fri 21-Oct-11 21:44:24

£70 apiece?! shock

GeorgeEliot Fri 21-Oct-11 21:46:36

Ok thanks for all the voices of reason. Just pureed myself a glass of wine and made him some mint tea and going to try and relax.

You are right 2rebecca though, he is stupid - he's also over 50 so i don't think he will ever learn.

GeorgeEliot Fri 21-Oct-11 21:47:12

yes peerie luckily the boss was paying so it will all go on expenses

TotemPole Fri 21-Oct-11 21:47:47

I'm shock at £70 for a bottle of wine too. And it's not as though they took time to savour the taste.

GeorgeEliot Fri 21-Oct-11 21:49:12

yes, such a waste.

DoMeDon Fri 21-Oct-11 21:55:19

YABU - he made a choice, he's an adult. Waste is a relative term and you sound a bit jealous - have some of my 3 for £12 wine wink

halcyondays Fri 21-Oct-11 22:33:05

Well, he will be the one that has to suffer the hangover, if he has one. I'd be more shocked at the cost of the wine tbh.

2rebecca Fri 21-Oct-11 22:46:43

I meant he may learn not to do it the night before travelling 4h with kids, suspect that is less frequent. If the boss was paying he may have thought it was a shame to miss the chance of a free piss up on nice wine. Can see his point on that one. I'd have just put off the car journey until the afternoon. 11 is a silly time to leave on a Sat anyway, the roads will be busiest for the subsequent 4 hours. As it's just family I would have phoned and put off travelling until 2 or 3.

Soups Fri 21-Oct-11 22:52:05

Since 7pm he's had one bottle of wine, not leaving until 11 for just a 4 hour drive.

yabu

maras2 Fri 21-Oct-11 23:00:55

Not worried about the driving tomorrow but WTF is that wine made from ?

Soups Fri 21-Oct-11 23:01:58

grapes? grin

maras2 Fri 21-Oct-11 23:10:48

Golden grapes ?

FrightNight Fri 21-Oct-11 23:17:56

OP I sympathise my H (D suspended) has done much the same. I'm a bit fucking fucked off with being the presumed accountable adult in these situations. It's not that I don't want H to go out and enjoy himself, so much as I would appreciate it's on the cards with a reasonable expectation of concluding condition.

Right now the weekends shaping up real well for H.

GeorgeEliot Sat 22-Oct-11 08:53:55

Frightnight so agree. don't resent him having an alcohol-fuelled good time occasionally, but the whole family has to deal with the consequences the next day, which is usually effectively written off as he spends most of it moaning, sleeping or yelling at the dc.

1 bottle is relatively little for dh so I'm not worried about the driving now, just sick and tired of the slurred words, stupid text messages and general anger and aggression which usually accompanies it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now