Talk

Advanced search

To take an enormous bunch of flowers or box of chocolates round to my Drs surgery?

(22 Posts)
DedalusDigglesPocketWatch Fri 21-Oct-11 16:25:46

For doing their job and actually caring about the patients?

I went in today (they squeezed me in an appointment) as I had a coil put in under a general anasthetic on Wednesday and since yesterday I have been very unwell.

The out of hours Dr told me it could be flu, perforated womb or meningitis, but that they might need to do more tests so best I see my gp today.

The nurse did a thorough examination (ruling out some very nasty possibilities) and has sent me home with two boxes of AB's for an infection, which should have been picked up 18hrs ago by a fully qualified Dr.

The reception staff were lovely and sorted me my drugs out there rather than make me go to the nearest pharmacy.

I am so grateful!

DoingMyVeryBest Fri 21-Oct-11 16:30:03

I say do it! It can never hurt to say thank you, even if they are just doing their jobs.

Might wait till you're feeling a bit better though...

herbietea Fri 21-Oct-11 16:32:11

Message withdrawn

ajandjjmum Fri 21-Oct-11 16:33:52

Maybe your reception staff could be recruited to train most of the others in this country! grin

Hope you feel better soon.

DedalusDigglesPocketWatch Fri 21-Oct-11 16:34:00

Think I will go in on Monday, must be the worst day of the week for them!

colken Fri 21-Oct-11 16:35:41

Don't take wine, though. When my mother was leaving hospital after a stroke, her husband took in enough for the twenty or so Stroke staff to have a bottle each. He was 90 something so they accepted it all gracefully with the quiet intention of having raffle prizes etc (but they told me).

littlemonkeybix Fri 21-Oct-11 16:39:07

Do it... it's all too easy for people to complain about everything, so recieving 1 "thank you" is like recieving 100 "thank you"s.

What a lovely bunch they sound. grin

do it thanks

Bellavita Fri 21-Oct-11 16:40:56

Oh no, you poor thing. Hope the abs work quickly.

It would be a lovely gesture.

Proudnscary Fri 21-Oct-11 16:42:49

Sure if you're got £50-£60 to spare, go for it

eaglewings Fri 21-Oct-11 16:43:46

Wine might be ok, friends dh who is a dr brought home a bottle given to him by happy patient. She opened while she was cooking and they finished it over the meal.

As it was so nice they looked it up on google, it was worth over £100!

Potted plants also good as they last longer in the surgery

fuckityfuckfuckfuck Fri 21-Oct-11 16:44:49

£50-60?? Dunno where you're shopping, you could easily do it for a tenner, and I think it's a lovely idea smile

moonshineandspellbooks Fri 21-Oct-11 16:48:03

Do it. You'll make their day. smile

Sorry to hear you've been feeling rotten though and hope you feel loads better soon.

I had a period of illness last year and was treated so well I wrote a letter to say thank you. That was well received, too.

whattodoo Fri 21-Oct-11 17:01:43

I'm sure they'll be chuffed to pieces at the gesture. It needn't be anything grand,(tins of roses, heroes etc are on offer in most places at mo) and a cheerful card.

WonkyCadonkey Fri 21-Oct-11 19:24:48

I worked in a GP surgery for nearly 9 years and was truly touched every time a patient took the time to say thank you for two reasons, one because it was my job, it didn't feel like I needed thanking, it's just what I did, I really genuinely loved looking after patients, I really did care and just wanted to do the best for them, and two because nowadays everyone is so eager to complain and shout and be aggressive that it was nice to see the lovely side of life too smile I'm sure your surgery would be as happy with a thank you card as anything thing else, I've been know to cry at thank you cards blush but if you do want to buy something, something simple like cake to scoff on a Monday morning would be wonderful. You really don't have to go crazy money wise, I'm not for one second suggesting you do this, but years ago one patient brought us freshly baked, homemade, still warm shortbread and that was heaven smile, still talked about to this day lol. But whatever you do, don't do it until you feel 100% better! Take care, and hope you feel better soon! smile

jeee Fri 21-Oct-11 19:28:08

I think that it's worth trying to write a letter of commendation for every letter of complaint that you make. It's easy to get into the habit of writing when something is wrong, but forget to say something positive.

And actually, nice though flowers or chocolates might be, I think a letter thanking everyone would be just as welcome.

DedalusDigglesPocketWatch Fri 21-Oct-11 19:32:36

Ooh yes, cake, how could I have forgotten cake?! grin

wicketkeeper Fri 21-Oct-11 19:37:38

I took a box of choc's to the doctor who realised there was something wrong with DH when he went for a routine blood pressure test - she thought he looked pale, took bloods, and he was in the hospital within the hour. Turned out he had bowel cancer which was caught so early he didn't need chemo/radiotherapy.

mrsravelstein Fri 21-Oct-11 19:38:58

i took chocolates and a thank you note into my gp's surgery when we moved out of the area a few months ago - he and staff had been really lovely all the years we'd been there. new surgery is shite, i miss my old GP (he happened to be spectacularly handsome too, always a bonus. well actually not always a bonus, especially if you're going in with mastitis and look like crap. but i digress)

JoandMax Fri 21-Oct-11 19:44:03

Yes, do it! Its always nice to be thanked and feel like somebody appreciates you

JsOtherHalf Fri 21-Oct-11 21:09:00

There are a lot of tins of chocolates out early for christmas at very reasonable prices , I think I saw some for around £5 this week?

WaitingForMe Fri 21-Oct-11 21:23:18

Ages back my car broke down just before an interview. I got a lift there but had to get a taxi back to the station. I got chatting to the driver and he picked up that the train was a really inconvenient way to get home and asked me why I was taking that route. He then insisted on driving me home for the fare to the station.

It was freezing cold (Jan '10) and he saved me 40 minutes on a platform in the snow. It was a fairly small thing to him but to a broke student it meant so much. I wrote a letter of thanks to the firm not even knowing his name. I felt a bit silly but needed to do something.

Five months later it was summer, I was in my new job and needed to call a cab. He turned up. He remembered me. He said how touched he was by my letter. I couldn't believe my little letter mattered so much.

Do it. Always do it smile

happydotcom Fri 21-Oct-11 21:28:05

Do it!

I've yet to meet a nice dr's receptionist so yes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now