Talk

Advanced search

to think that if you need the road clear of parked cars to do tree work, you need to TELL people?

(11 Posts)
CristinaaarghdellAaarghPizza Fri 21-Oct-11 10:30:55

There is a massive tree on the pavement outside my house which I asked the council to cut back because the branches are really low and bang me in the face and it's just getting too big and hanging over my garden.

They have just turned up and come to my door.
Council bloke: We've come to cut back the tree but there's cars parked under it.
Me: Yes, there are.
Council bloke: Can you get them moved?
Me: No, I don't know who they belong to.
Council bloke: Well we can't cut the tree with the cars there.
Me: Why don't you put up a sign asking people not to park there on the day you want to do it?
Council bloke: That never works

WTF?? I live in the middle of town near the station on one of the few roads where there is free parking. So there are always cars parked there unless you arrive very early in the morning, in the evening or at the weekend. I pointed this out and he said 'well we don't work those hours'.

Great, so this means that the tree is never going to be pruned? AIBU to think that is a fucking stupid attitude? angry

Should I ring the council?

TheSkiingGardener Fri 21-Oct-11 10:33:48

Yes. We have the council cut the trees near us. They put notices on the cars. I would ask them to provide you with cones to put out the night before, or ask where will provide you with them

Get cross!

altinkum Fri 21-Oct-11 10:34:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

altinkum Fri 21-Oct-11 10:36:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CristinaaarghdellAaarghPizza Fri 21-Oct-11 10:39:23

It doesn't have a TPO on it. Surely the council have a duty to maintain trees on council land anyway, it's not up to me to get them to do it? I am happy to put notes on people's cars or put cones out or something.

Turning up randomly and expecting a street which is a few minutes' walk from the High Street and the station to be empty of cars is a bit of a long shot

PattySimcox Fri 21-Oct-11 10:40:18

YANBU although encourage them to hang around, you know how much MNers like leering at tree surgeons grin

CristinaaarghdellAaarghPizza Fri 21-Oct-11 10:49:29

Hmm ... well despite his dire mutterings, he is up a ladder cutting down branches confused

Patty - they are not remotely hunky. Very disappointing grin

EllaDee Fri 21-Oct-11 11:17:16

I would love to be all 'grr, idiots' at the council, but have to admit mine is one of those cars for which a note left on the bonnet might well not work. blush We got notes saying there would be a street fair and to move cars - unfortunately, I don't always drive often and didn't go back to my car for about three weeks, so missed both the fair and the order to move the car. Nothing bad happened but I did feel guilty and do try to check it more often now!

limitedperiodonly Fri 21-Oct-11 11:34:31

It's easy to stop people parking there.

My council puts up signs warning of a suspension about a week before the date and any car left there on the day gets towed.

CristinaaarghdellAaarghPizza Fri 21-Oct-11 12:34:24

That's what they used to do when I lived in that there London but they don't seem to do things the same way round here. Ella - even you would have been fine - these people don't live here, they're just parking while they go to work.

Anyway, they have lightly trimmed the tree. I'm not sure if that's it or if they're going to come back at some unearthly time of the morning. At least the bloody thing won't poke me in the eye when I walk past now smile

EllaDee Fri 21-Oct-11 13:01:14

Well, I'm glad they've at least got a bit of it trimmed.

You could always be cheeky and put notes on cars saying 'we've been warned by the tree surgeon this tree is deeply unstable and liable to drop branches at any moment'. grin

Come to think, you might get a lovely clear street for a few days ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now