Talk

Advanced search

To be taking existential advice from baloo bear in the Jungle Book?

(17 Posts)
grumblinalong Fri 21-Oct-11 10:30:35

Honestly, every time I hear that 'Bare Necessities' song (which is ALOT at the moment because of the Sainsbury's advert & DS2 making me youtube disney songs all the effing time) I find myself singing along and getting a bit teary at how bloody right the bear is blush.

Bloody 'Circle of life' gets me going too. Especially if I hold DD (16 weeks) up under the armpits like the monkey does with the lion cub. Am I being weird and hormonally unreasonable to be so affected by these songs? Or does anyone else find themselves agreeing with them? Feel free to tell me its not normal & AIBU & I need helpgrin

faverolles Fri 21-Oct-11 10:33:32

Yes, Bare Necessities, we appear to live our lives according to that song.
He was a wise, wise bear. Live within your means and learn from your mistakes.

Whatmeworry Fri 21-Oct-11 10:33:50

I think the Jungle Book is probably all the advice you need in life smile

TheTenantOfWildfellHall Fri 21-Oct-11 10:35:38

Circle of Life kills me.

Sidge Fri 21-Oct-11 10:36:39

Hakuna Matata is pretty spot-on too.

Wise words from that warthog and his little meerkat friend.

grumblinalong Fri 21-Oct-11 10:41:24

I know. I particularly like the 'If you pick a paw paw or a prickly pear learn to use a claw paw & next time beware' or something along those lines. Advice I should have listened to a long time ago.

faverolles If you're managing to live your life according to that song I applaud you. I know I should be happy with the bare necessities & I don't NEED an ipad. It's hard though, capitalism is a persuasive bitch.

TheTenantOfWildfellHall Fri 21-Oct-11 10:42:41

Hakuna Matata is a problem free philosophy we also like to follow...

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 21-Oct-11 10:43:22

Our family tune is Monty Python's 'Always Look on the Bright Side of Life'. Smaller family members especially enjoying the line... 'life's a piece of shit, when you look at it'... for some bizarre reason.

mumblechum1 Fri 21-Oct-11 10:44:24

I love Bear Necessities because it was our late DS1s favourite song.

grumblinalong Fri 21-Oct-11 10:44:41

Just watched Hakuna Matata - the poor young smelly warthog...

grumblinalong Fri 21-Oct-11 10:46:22

mumblechum1 So so sorry sad I hope this thread hasn't caused you more upset. It's an excellent choice for a favourite song.

TheTenantOfWildfellHall Fri 21-Oct-11 10:54:12

I would also be a bit upset if my friends never stood downwind from me.

Hassled Fri 21-Oct-11 11:05:10

I've been looking up Disney songs (really need to go find a life) to see if I could be inspired with a mantra to get me through the days.
And nothing. Zilch.

But I did learn that A Whole New World was voted best Disney song. Number 2 was Beauty and the Beast, 3 is Circle of Life.

mumblechum1 Fri 21-Oct-11 11:07:18

grumbling, not at all, it's 12 years ago now so no longer raw. Lovely to remember him laughing along with it. smile

Hassled Fri 21-Oct-11 11:09:06

mumblechum - Bear Necessities is such a great song. A lovely memory for you.

grumblinalong Fri 21-Oct-11 11:21:23

Hassled-no inspirational mantra? What kind are you looking for? Maybe you should go for heavy artillery and look into buddism.

SuePurblybiltFromBitsofCorpses Fri 21-Oct-11 11:28:31

A whole new world? Bah.

Bear Necessities contains excellent advice. What's the best advice in 'a whole new world'? Don't look down?

I often base choices on advice from AA Milne and Dr Seuss though, I may not be the best judge

Mumble, I'm sorry for your loss sad but what a nice memory.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now