Talk

Advanced search

to have not understood a blardy word of what Robert Peston just said ?

(13 Posts)
UnlikelyAmazonian Thu 20-Oct-11 22:24:52

I think he was talking about 1930's Depression frocks but he can't have been. I was really listening but lost the will to live understand.

He must be truly knackered though so I don't blame him for finding a tangent and hurtling down it in his bed socks

EdithWeston Thu 20-Oct-11 22:27:20

He was taking about the legacy of 1930s hyperinflation in Germany, and why that has led to an enduring view in Germany about some forms of bank/Government involvement.

It's potentially very serious - the Euro bailout fund increase has not been decided upon.

UnlikelyAmazonian Thu 20-Oct-11 22:54:16

Thanks Edith. Will look at what he said on iplayer. Maybe the overall desperate state of it all makes one's brain zone out and hearing go on the blink. Blasted euro.

EdithWeston Thu 20-Oct-11 23:01:13

Actually, I thought I'd understood him perfectly (which I suppose I might have done whilst actually watching) but when it came to typing, only about half of it had stuck!

One thing which resonated was how much of an enormous amount the banks are going to lose as they will have to write off debts. Something to set against the usual bank bashing you see on MN. Without them taking a big hit, we're all up shit creek.

UnlikelyAmazonian Thu 20-Oct-11 23:08:20

Yes. Ouch.

all my money is with santander. dodgy.

In this era it's like being a minnow with a wad of bread but no idea which riverbank hole to bung it in...or, given the circling sharks, whether to just eat the lot.

bibbitybobbitybloodyaxe Thu 20-Oct-11 23:11:45

Oh he's impossible to listen to. Dh (tv journalist but nowhere near as high profile grin) simply cannot believe Peston has the job he has. He speaks weirdly, strange emphasis on certain words, odd timing, thinks he's it etc. I just mentally switch off when he appears, can never understand a thing he says.

scottishmummy Thu 20-Oct-11 23:19:10

I like peston,hear him on radio a lot he's sharp

edam Thu 20-Oct-11 23:25:31

The banks are going to lose millions because they made shit decisions. Yet again. And yet again the taxpayer will have to bail them out - either directly or indirectly.

IMO there hasn't been enough banker bashing. Certainly not the sort of wholescale, radical reforms that are needed in response to such an enormous crisis and such fuckwittery that is crashing the entire world economy. Twice. They get a bit of minor name-calling and, um, that's about it.

Meglet Thu 20-Oct-11 23:44:35

I was distracted by his gary numan dyed hair tonight blush. <<shallow>>

I follow him on twitter and sometimes understand what he's on about.

scottishmummy Thu 20-Oct-11 23:46:56

Peston been at the just for men gel.def

Adversecamber Fri 21-Oct-11 08:31:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EdithWeston Fri 21-Oct-11 08:34:54

edam - I think you misunderstand the proposed role for the banks on this one. Both in terms of what they would do in this rescue package, and ignoring the role of Governments in bond-issuing.

Bennifer Fri 21-Oct-11 09:32:37

One thing that I thought he got wrong - wasn't the hyperinflation in Germany in the 1920s, not 30s. I could be wrong though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now