Talk

Advanced search

To think we don't need to see gruesome pictures of Gaddafi's dead body on television?

(8 Posts)
wannaBe Thu 20-Oct-11 21:32:57

I do realize that the world at large requires proof before believing that he's dead.

But from what I've heard the pictures on the news/on the front pages of the papers are pretty awful.

Do we really need to see that? really?

There's already a thread on this!

southeastastra Thu 20-Oct-11 21:36:35

it amazes me that we can fight wars for years and years yet never ever see death or the real reality of wars

and we moan when we see a dead body

dear lord

Secrecy Thu 20-Oct-11 21:38:18

If parading war criminals on television is wrong, then this must be too. But I do also agree that war is war and we must not shy away from what that means.

Sapphirefling Thu 20-Oct-11 21:39:21

I'd have preferred not to have seen the body of a family member blown up in an IRA bomb made with semtex sold by Gaddafis regime.
Switch the television off and don't buy papaers if you can't cope with the reality of the horrors. For those who live with the aftermath, I hope these pictures bring a sense of justice.

EdithWeston Thu 20-Oct-11 21:41:40

The watershed is there to protect children, and I think coverage went too far.

I am also very uneasy about pix being on front pages, and therefore on display and readily visible. The same consequences could be shown with inside page photos, and post-watershed (well caveated) transmissions. Even though I think showing the parading of corpses (and in this case something which may be a snuff movie) is wrong, the detriment could be mitigated significantly by taking simple steps to limit exposure to the under 18s.

Secrecy Thu 20-Oct-11 21:43:14

Immense sympathies, Sapphire.

squeakyfreakytoy Thu 20-Oct-11 22:43:25

Many millions of children, the world over, grow up seeing a man being tortured by crucifiction on a wooden cross as one of their earliest pictures. If you are a practising catholic, chances are that in your house will be this image for your child to see on a daily basis.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now