Talk

Advanced search

to have just cried my eyes out at Stickman!

(55 Posts)
bringinghomethebacon Thu 20-Oct-11 20:58:35

Just read it for the first time, am so glad he found his stick family again! Am completely weeping over it, the terrible thing is next week we are booked to go and see both the Railway Children at the theatre next Friday (was pysched up for the Daddy my Daddy bit) AND Stickman on the Sunday, and so just bought the book in preparation and I didn't realise there was an equally tragic missing father plotline. Please God, don't let my children ever lose their Daddy ! (from the 6 year old me who misses her Daddy sad RIP)

Apologies, this probably shouldn't have been in AIBU but it is rather trivial for bereavement topic.....

Am now watching the 1970 Railway Children film on Youtube and having another good cry!

SecretNutellaFix Thu 20-Oct-11 21:00:10

Whatever you do- DO NOT read Goodbye Mog.blush

SecretNutellaFix Thu 20-Oct-11 21:00:56

I know what you mean about missing family though- My dad died 22 years ago at the end of next month and I still miss him.

kunahero Thu 20-Oct-11 21:01:42

my dw cries at the mention of goodbye mog. she doesnt even have to read it.

SuePurblybiltFromBitsofCorpses Thu 20-Oct-11 21:03:30

I cried this week (at work blush) at the Dr Seuss 'Oh the places you'll go'.

AFingerofFudge Thu 20-Oct-11 21:03:44

Oh poor you...we'll always miss our mummy's and daddy's even when we're grown up ourselves. I miss my mum who died when I was 15. I bought our kids "Love you Forever" book last Christmas, didn't read it through properly beforehand just thought it looked sweet, and then became a snivelling wreck on the floor reading it to my 3 DS's on Christmas evening! Beautiful weird book, but only read it when you have a warehouse of tissues in stock. grin

Pinner35 Thu 20-Oct-11 21:03:49

The first time I read Stickman, I had to stop reading at the part where he was on the fire (I read ahead to make sure it wasn't a tragic ending!)

I feel your pain OP.

GypsyMoth Thu 20-Oct-11 21:08:13

I made ds a stickman birthday cake...... It was identical to the front book cover! Was v easy and made everyone smile!

aldiwhore Thu 20-Oct-11 21:08:26

Aw bless OP... but it does have a happy ending!!!!!!!!!! (no apologies for over use of !!!!!)

bringinghomethebacon Thu 20-Oct-11 21:14:02

Oh goodness FingerofFudge, have just googled Love you Forever and listened to it narrated. So so beautiful and true. Luckily the American narrator's voice was a bit grating so hasn't reduced me to a complete mess. I so hope my children are grown up before they lose us. Nutella - 24 years since I lost my Dad - having my own children made me really miss him in a different way and now my mum is dying - hence the emotion tonight I suppose. I should probably buy Goodbye Mog to help prepare the children for Granny. We have a lot of the other Mog books so I am sure my DD will be devasted!

bringinghomethebacon Thu 20-Oct-11 21:16:55

Fab Tiffany! How did you make the expressive sticky face?!

Yes thank goodness Aldiwhore!

GuillotinedMaryLacey Thu 20-Oct-11 21:17:36

Stickman makes me howl, I can't believe how sad it is.

GypsyMoth Thu 20-Oct-11 21:19:05

I just used icing! And I think White choc buttons! Ds had no problems eating him up!

ScaredBear Thu 20-Oct-11 21:20:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

benandhollyandgaston Thu 20-Oct-11 21:22:07

Love you forever had me catatonic with weeping when I was pregnant with dd2.

Has anyone read the one about the daddy bear who gives his baby bear the moon? Think it's called can't you sleep little bear, or simlilar.

I got 3/4 of the wAy through it thinking 'well it's won all these awards but it's crap' then WEPT like a total dick at the end. It's not Luke anything really happens, it just reminded me of how you feel when you first hold your newborn and you'd give them anything, including the moon.

Iggly Thu 20-Oct-11 21:26:40

Are you all reading a different version of stickman to me? confused

I'm pregnant and hormonal (got teary when the the tv didn't work) but stickman does not make me cry. Stick Dad gets to meet father Xmas and is reunited with his family at the end. DS likes to point out the stick mummy, daddy and children smile

bringinghomethebacon Thu 20-Oct-11 21:29:48

Funnily enough cant you sleep little bear does nothing for me, not sure why not! Iggly, it's just that the stick children and the stick lady love have been missing their father for so long, and they must be sure that he's dead and never coming back, and stick lady is putting a brave face on it, and then he walks in, with father christmas no less when they had given up all hope ! Makes me howl!

"Daddy. My Daddy!" always makes me a bit teary too.

So far Stickman has never made me cry. It might next time we read it.

Guess How Much I Love You always has my lip wobbling a bit.

But it's the first line of Peter Pan that breaks my heart now. "All children, except one, grow up."

bringinghomethebacon Thu 20-Oct-11 21:53:55

Oh yes Peter Pan! Did you know that JM Barrie gifted all the royalty rights of the book and the play to the Great Ormond Street Hospital? For all the poorly children that might never grow up [really need a very unmumsnetting heart emotion here]

Iggly Thu 20-Oct-11 22:29:03

grin bacon I think because I know Stick Daddy is coming home, I don't get upset.

TeaCider Thu 20-Oct-11 22:33:49

I have had to compose myself when reading 'Peepo'. Oh the page where the baby is looking into the mirror with the rainbow rim and sees his Mummy and Daddy in his uniform...sob.

Tuppenyrice Thu 20-Oct-11 22:48:32

Peepo is my favourite. And the baby looks just like my youngest...
<sobs>

snowybun Thu 20-Oct-11 22:57:35

the bit where it says it won't feel like christmas without their stick dad. I made the mistake of reading this to my son before christmas last year when my Dad had been given just weeks to livesad. I'm glad to say my Dad is still with us but still can't read it without going back in memories.

Tommy Thu 20-Oct-11 23:00:40

I love Stickman!
After last Christmas, DS2 was being a bit mean and telling DS3 that Father christmas didn't exist. DS3 got Stickman and said "Look - he IS real - he's there with Stickman"
Awwwww grin

LordOfTheFlies Thu 20-Oct-11 23:06:35

The one about Big and Small makes me weep buckets (it's posted in breavement so alot of people must choose it for readings for their DCs)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now