Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

am I, was I?

(34 Posts)
MrsMoosickle Thu 20-Oct-11 19:37:47

In Tesco cafe, watched a young couple with a 6 month baby open at least 20 little UHT sachets of milk and pour them into their baby's bottle. I couldn't stand it and so eventually said that I had a carton of baby milk they could have. Was told to fuck off. Eeek. I sat back down and my DH now annoyed at me for interfering and creating a scene!

Was I, did I?

Thats the last.

Mrs M

MurderBloodstabsandgore Thu 20-Oct-11 19:41:27

That'll learn you to stick you beak in..... grin

You were being nice, I guess, but you said you 'couldn't stand it' so I bet you came across like an interfering cow.

Sorry.

You should have held it in, like I did when I saw a 3MO choking on a McDonald's chip.

alarkaspree Thu 20-Oct-11 19:42:33

Cow's milk isn't supposed to be a main drink for under ones, but I don't think 20 UHT sachets as a one-off emergency measure would do the baby any harm.

However, I don't see anything unreasonable in offering them a carton of proper baby milk, you were just trying to be helpful. Did they really literally tell you to fuck off? How horrible.

TheFeministsZombieBride Thu 20-Oct-11 19:43:05

I don't think you were BU. Could the baby have been older though and just looked small? Jeez I would have had to sit on my hands not to say/do something in that situation.

DuchessofMalfi Thu 20-Oct-11 19:44:31

Perhaps the baby likes the UHT milk cartons grin. Completely tongue in cheek btw!

MangoMonster Thu 20-Oct-11 19:45:10

YABU, forget it though, not worth worrying about.

girliefriend Thu 20-Oct-11 19:45:18

I would have felt the same but would have been too scared of confrontation to say anything! yanbu.

However if I saw a 3mo chocking on a chip I might see if they needed any help!!

LesserOfTwoWeevils Thu 20-Oct-11 19:45:34

YANBU and they were horrible. I don't think much of your DH's attitude either.

MangoMonster Thu 20-Oct-11 19:45:51

I meant YANBU!!!

picnicbasketcase Thu 20-Oct-11 19:46:38

Maybe they thought UHT milk was okay because it was longlife and heat treated, so different to normal milk? confused I don't think YWBU, they certainly were BU for telling you to fuck off though.

LaurieFairyCake Thu 20-Oct-11 19:48:49

Maybe they had no money and were embarrassed.

They 'overused' the free UHT milk right?

Mandy2003 Thu 20-Oct-11 19:49:28

Oooh they could have filled the baby's bottle with Coke!

Seriously, tho, when did people start to think it was acceptable to tell someone who genuinely offered help to fuck off? Do they learn it at school? From their parents? I've never seen it on TV programmes which are supposed to be the source of most social attitudes and behaviour confused

altinkum Thu 20-Oct-11 19:49:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DogsBeastFiend Thu 20-Oct-11 19:51:15

Told you to fuck off? Literally? shock

How rude!

NinkyNonker Thu 20-Oct-11 19:51:48

YANBU OP, that'll teach you for trying to do something nice.

ChippingInToThePumpkinLantern Thu 20-Oct-11 19:52:39

I'd have done the same and probably given them a mouthful back when they told me to fuck off.

Rude prats.

Don't let it stop you helping other people.

MrsMoosickle Thu 20-Oct-11 19:55:04

The Mother actually said fuck off, just like that. I was mortified! Tesco cafe lady came over once they had gone and asked if I was alright....she saw it unfold and said she wouldn't have said anything to them.

DH - Pah, what can I say.......

banana87 Thu 20-Oct-11 20:01:06

YWNBU. What a cow bag. And shame shame shame on them for what they were doing angry

ballstoit Thu 20-Oct-11 20:02:09

YANBU. You were being kind, she was rude in response. Try not to let it put you off being kind to someone else in future.

xmyboys Thu 20-Oct-11 20:08:02

No YANBU, poor and disgusting behaviour!!

I admit to doing this (opening many uht containers to fill dc bottle) blush
It was however in a parkland cafe which did not sell real milk and I had a crying dc.
I did offer to pay but she said it was ok, still blush as other people may not have realised? Or understood?

ImperialBlether Thu 20-Oct-11 20:13:40

Had they bought a drink for themselves? Just wondering at the logic of buying a cup of coffee but then pouring free milk into a bottle. Just buy the bloody carton, ffs, and do without the coffee!

storminabuttercup Thu 20-Oct-11 20:14:30

What a rude woman, I think I would have offered too, and tbh would have probably had an invisible cats bum face thinking they should have just bought a pre made carton.

Suppose it depends how u asked, but if you did it nicely ywnbu!

It seems unlikely that they couldn't afford the milk in a carton as they were obv buying coffees or whatever? So had some money!

Aislingorla Thu 20-Oct-11 20:16:15

And that's why breast feeding is great, free and on tap.

MrsMoosickle Thu 20-Oct-11 20:24:40

Ha, well as the BF mother of my own 2 year old I could have offered that I guess...

The father had chips and gravy and the Maw had chips with a roll...so don't reckon cash was really the issue.

Don't think I asked to help in a judgey way, I certainly didn't mean too. DH said i did though, he told me to stay where I was but honestly, I couldn't!

Och, who the feck knows....I was shocked though

ImperialBlether Thu 20-Oct-11 20:25:06

You have to keep up a reasonable diet though, Aisling, if you breastfeed. This couple clearly didn't have the money to do that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now