Talk

Advanced search

For going to a family wedding by myself?

(7 Posts)
finnmum Thu 20-Oct-11 14:05:59

My cousin is getting married back home in Lapland (I haven't been home for a year), I thought it would be cheaper(as DP just got laid off) and more relaxed for me to travel to her wedding without DDs(6 and 3), it would only be a weekend's stay. They'd be happy to stay home with DP.

BUT: Now I feel silent pressure from the family (mum mostly who hasn't seen the kids in half a year and is turning 60 that week although not celebrating) that I should think about bringing the girls. I know that it would be so much cheaper for me to get my mum a flight here which she of course would not accept! Also, I start thinking how much fun the girls would have if I took them out of school and spent a few days in the snowy Lapland, but on the other hand I'm worried I'd be dragging them all the way up there so that the extented family would be happy (used to do that for years). Could someone please tell me that weddings are not fun for kids and I should think about my little family and not provide a service to the extended one:DD Seriously, any advice welcome!!!

duvetdayplease Thu 20-Oct-11 14:10:55

YANBU not to take the kids on money grounds, but I think it's inevitable this will be disappointing for grandparents etc.

IMO kids quite like weddings as long as there are other kids there.

But your children are invited, not obligated so it's up to you.

DorisIsTheDarkDestroyer Thu 20-Oct-11 14:11:55

Depends on the kind of wedding, my dd's 6,4 (and 2) would love a wedding seeing the bride dressede up and being fussed over by family.

How close a relations wedding is it??

FWIW we're flying to scotland for my mum's 60 next month as a surprise (no party) as she adores her GC's and seeing them all together we hope would be a nice treat (dsis's DC's live near her). It will be a faff for us taking them out of school and pricey but she loves having her family altogether.

That's my mum tho' yours may be different although it doesn't sound it..

TanteRose Thu 20-Oct-11 14:12:50

I did that for my brother's wedding a few years ago - DCs were 6 and 7 yrs.

It was fab! A real break for me - you should go and have a relaxed time.

DorisIsTheDarkDestroyer Thu 20-Oct-11 14:13:55

i think Yaabit U, it depends on how tight the family finances REALLY are ( as you used more relaxed for you as a reason as well).

finnmum Thu 20-Oct-11 15:21:47

Lol @ 'relaxed', got me! No seriously, it's a full day travel up there (tube, plane, another plane, taxi and coach in that ordersmile) so I always end up dead beat with the girls (luckily they are too young to worry about schedules etc so they seem to be fine). Then on the phone I'm cranky to DP for "always travelling with the kids alone"blush.

finnmum Thu 20-Oct-11 15:26:37

Also, confession: SAHM for almost 7 years I kind of wanted to escape for the weekendgrin. But thanks for the valid points, I do understand the girls would probably like all the wedding fuss, have to think again..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now