Talk

Advanced search

i think whistling is just fucking attention seeking

(45 Posts)
AnnetteProfit Thu 20-Oct-11 12:52:38

shut up you annoying nob end.

EllaDee Thu 20-Oct-11 12:54:29

grin

You're not on a train typing this so your seatmate can see, by any chance?

(I agree it's antisocial and screechy most of the time)

mistressploppy Thu 20-Oct-11 12:55:49

Are you venting?

Do you know any operatic arias you could launch into by way of reply?

pleasethanks Thu 20-Oct-11 12:55:49

Oh I hate it too. That and men jangling change in their pockets.

ElectricSoftParade Thu 20-Oct-11 12:56:06

YANBU. It is on par with humming. Shut up or sing. Easy.

Tortington Thu 20-Oct-11 12:57:24

whistling wanker

ScaredBear Thu 20-Oct-11 12:59:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Nichua0885 Thu 20-Oct-11 13:05:10

YABU lol although it is funny. If someone wants to whistle they have every right.

LesserOfTwoWeevils Thu 20-Oct-11 13:06:16

My DD learned to whistle at four and would stroll round the mall alternately whistling and complaining that everyone was looking at her.

Ormirian Thu 20-Oct-11 13:06:59

Just 'cos you can't <sticks tongue out at OP>

I am an excellent whistler of course.

EllaDee Thu 20-Oct-11 13:07:02

pleasethanks - oh god, that is so annoying, jingling change! We know you've got it love, and we know you're not allowed to fiddle with your willy in public over age 2 and this is the nearest substitute ... but FFS stop it!

I remember at school one year we had prize day and the twit they got in to give out the prizes jingled his change in his pocket the whole time he spoke - so fucking rude.

AnnetteProfit Thu 20-Oct-11 13:08:12

i can whistle
just chosse not to when behind omeoen in a supermercado

somebloke123 Thu 20-Oct-11 13:15:49

Yes bloody annoying I agree.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOGcM1Ci8mw

LaurieFairyCake Thu 20-Oct-11 13:17:57

Really oddly there's a man who walks past my house whistling every night for a couple of minutes.

Then it suddenly stops but no door has opened or shut hmm

where did he GO ???

<slightly perturbed>

SunRaysthruClouds Thu 20-Oct-11 13:19:33

Sorry to disagree but the other day I as on the train and some young thing had an ipod plugged in and was singing along. And her singing was so bad I wanted to jump off the train while it was moving.

So whistling's not so bad! In fact I would have welcomed anything whistled in tune.

(Of course there's always those smug 'look at me whistling cos my life is so good I haven't a care in the world aren't I lucky' types. I don't like them)

BlathersFright Thu 20-Oct-11 13:19:44

I absolutely loath whistling. Horrible, horrible noise that makes me want to hurt someone angry

limitedperiodonly Thu 20-Oct-11 13:28:17

I hate those whistlers who clearly want to mutter: 'nice tits' but are too cowardly even for that.

I worked with a change jingler too. He used to stand directly behind seated women to do it.

We used to sing a burst of Windmills of Your Mind: 'Keys that jingle in your pocket, words that jangle in your head...'

But the subtle approach didn't work so in the end we'd turn round and shout: 'get your cock out of my face.' That worked.

Francagoestohollywood Thu 20-Oct-11 13:36:00

I like hearing people whistling songs, they are usually in a good mood. What's not to like?
Unless obviously some bad whistler whistles in your ear all day long...

BangersNGash Thu 20-Oct-11 13:40:02

whistling is the sign of an empty mind

cyb Thu 20-Oct-11 13:41:38

I love whistling
AND singing

AND best of all DANCING

Annette you are a grumpy old bag

picnicbasketcase Thu 20-Oct-11 13:42:47

In tune and vaguely musical - not too awful

Tuneless, hissy, air between teeth whistling - kill kill kill.

<gavel>

LavenderScream Thu 20-Oct-11 13:44:43

I have never heard someone whistling, if you mean an actual tune, who the hell whistles tunes on trains?

Laurie - shock at ghost whistler.

5Foot5 Thu 20-Oct-11 13:48:59

I like whistling. And I whistle sometimes. And hum. It is because I am basically a happy little soul and that is how it comes out.

I think you whistling-haters a bunch of miseries! Try humming or whistling a little tune of your own and it might cheer you up a bit.

I am sure I heard somewhere that whistling is dying out anyway. Not nearly so many people do it as used to and the blame for this was placed on the fact that it is easier for people to listen to music while they are out and about e.g. radios and iPods I suppose so they have stopped making their own background noise.

I would rather hear someone whistke then hear that annoying hissy noise you get from someones earphones when they leak noise out.

Xiaoxiong Thu 20-Oct-11 13:50:24

Last night two teenagers on the train (in the ^silent carriage^) were chanting the words of a rap song, rhythmlessly in a monotone and pausing every few lines because one or the other would forget the next word. The silent furious indignation from the carriage full of commuters was palpable.

Mind you, if they had been whistling I think someone would have leapt up and beaten them over the head with the Evening Standard.

Xiaoxiong Thu 20-Oct-11 13:50:39

Italics fail blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now