Talk

Advanced search

to slap the Tesco man around the head with a pack of Donuts because he was a git and has upset me?

(41 Posts)
ZombiesAteYourCervix Thu 20-Oct-11 12:00:46

DD (13, AS) went on an expedition to Tesco yesterday to get me some shopping.

She noticed on the bus on the way back her reciept was wrong and instead of charging her 50p for a pack of donuts it had charged her £3 for a body spray.

I've just been back to deal with it and the bloody smug manager type didn't believe me. He didn't believe that DD hadn't scanned a body spray and insinuated that she had lied about it to me.

DD doesn't do lying.

And if she had thought about doing a swapsy thing at the self-scanning thing why would she do it for a measly body spray? why not a bottle of vodka?

Anyway she didn't and wouldn't.

So after quibbling about it he went off to find a £3 body spray to prove his point but came back to say 'oh that's odd, we don't have any body sprays for £3'. He still insisted that DD was at fault, but begrudgingly refunded her £3

It was a Big Deal for her to go on the bus and get a list of shopping. The donuts were a reward for going.

Git has upset me.

catgirl1976 Thu 20-Oct-11 12:02:41

YANBU. Slap him round the head. What happened to "the customer is always right". Hope you and DD enjoy the donuts

neverever Thu 20-Oct-11 12:03:28

Yabu to slap him I would want to stick them somewhere else! Ignore him just some horrible man on a power trip.

LemonPeel Thu 20-Oct-11 12:03:54

YANBU - sounds a jobsworth wanker to me.

LemonPeel Thu 20-Oct-11 12:04:55

Actually, if you had the pack from the doughbuts you could have proved a point. because there would not be doughnuts on the receipt would there?

RedOnion Thu 20-Oct-11 12:05:43

Sounds like a complete cock but not worth wasting a pack of donuts on his cocklike head.

Mandy2003 Thu 20-Oct-11 12:05:57

I would think that a redundant body spray barcode on their system had been re-used for the pack of donuts. Used to happen occasionally on the EPOS system I used, and that was just in a small shop with about 4000 stock items.

I think the chances of it happening in Tescos with all their stock is quite great. I hope your DD has been reassured that she didn't do anything wrong?

blackoutthesun Thu 20-Oct-11 12:06:06

yes lets go and slap people who are trying to do their jobs hmm

belledechocchipcookie Thu 20-Oct-11 12:07:10

Could you take the packaging from the doughnuts back and scan it again? If it comes up at £3 then you know there's a problem. I'm fairly sure there's a thread on here about Twatsco overcharging because the item scans incorrectly.

kelly2000 Thu 20-Oct-11 12:07:40

Complain to Tesco's about the manager.

ZombiesAteYourCervix Thu 20-Oct-11 12:08:11

Mandy - Thankyou. I shall tell DD that.

blackout - i feel that when someone is not doing their job and being a git and upsetting me then yes, they deserve a slapping.

Notquitegrownup Thu 20-Oct-11 12:08:36

Ignore smug tescos man and say well done to dd for doing the shopping and double well done for checking her receipt. Useful lesson learned for future.

(PS our local shop refunds you twice the difference if they make a mistake . . .!)

ZombiesAteYourCervix Thu 20-Oct-11 12:09:14

I offered him the packet, I even scattered sugar all over his desk, but he declined. I should have insisted

belledechocchipcookie Thu 20-Oct-11 12:10:08

I'd contact head office, he sounds like an arsehole.

ZombiesAteYourCervix Thu 20-Oct-11 12:10:34

I did however invest in a half price bottle of wine for later to soothe my upset.

MrsVoltar Thu 20-Oct-11 12:11:41

I don't think he was actually 'doing his job' blackoutthesun he was being unhelpful.
Tesco's seem to have a motto of 'never apologise for mistakes'

I frequently find mistakes in my receipt and after them taking ages to sort it out say they say something like 'thats it sorted then' with no apology whatsoever.

Tescos are crap.

PierceDeere Thu 20-Oct-11 12:18:58

I have to go to Tesco later.

I shall make a point of farting to register my displeasure on your DD's behalf.

LesserOfTwoWeevils Thu 20-Oct-11 12:20:40

YANBU, you should let DD do the slapping.

RCToday Thu 20-Oct-11 12:23:40

I accidentally flashed at a tesco man last week

It wasn't a pretty sight

Perhaps they have suffered enough grin

LemonPeel Thu 20-Oct-11 12:23:52

pmsl Pierce

KatieMortician Thu 20-Oct-11 12:27:57

Maybe he was seeking revenge for that time when... you know... you accidentally.... and cocked up the name change...

I won't say any more but just be very careful Pierce.

Flossie69 Thu 20-Oct-11 12:28:37

I have a son who is 12 and has AS. He would not be anywhere near ready yet to go and do a shop at Tesco's by himself, let alone on a bus, so just wanted to say a HUGE well done to your DD. Hope this incident has not knocked her confidence, and she is happy to do it again grin

NinkyNonker Thu 20-Oct-11 12:31:06

YABU, but only for risking damaging donuts. He sounds like a total jobsworth.

DesperatelySeekingPomBears Thu 20-Oct-11 12:36:52

YABabitU.

I used to work in Tesco and you'd be amazed how many times people try this on especially with high value items. Why would your daughter have substituted a body spray and not a bottle of Vodka? Probably because she's 13 and a body spray is more appealing at that age and the manager would know this.

The fact that your daughte has AS is of no concern to the manager. He was rectifying a problem with your receipt. You got the money back. He's done his job. He was probably cynical because this is the 57th time this week that someone has done this to him and the others weren't being honest like your daughter.

However he should have apologised, I do agree about that. But bear in mind he's not just a Tesco manager, he's a person and like the rest of us will have the occasional bad day, especially if he's had to deal with a string of customers talking to him like shit. It can be very demoralising working in retail.

But yay you got your £2.50 back so all's good, enjoy the donuts.

purplemurple Thu 20-Oct-11 12:42:37

I hope you got "double the difference" back. Well done to your dd, hope it hasn't knocked her confidence too much.

Tesco store is my closest shop, so I pop in everyday for paper, milk etc. We are on a tight budget so I tend to stock up on items when they are on offer, rice, pasta, sauces and the BOGOF's, My gripe is that I can guarantee that I will have been overcharged for at least one item most times. When I go to the customer service desk, they make you feel like a shoplifter. Get your prices right and you won't have to give me double the difference, simple.

Last month the new Fifa 11 game was on offer reduced from £39.99 to £25 if bought alongside another game (xmas pressies). I picked a game that was labelled at £18 totalling £43 however when I checked my reciept they had cherged £25 for fifa and £30 for the other game. so £55. Jeez the catsbum face she had pulled, she wasn't having any of it insiisting that I had got the fifa game for £25 so it was right. Finally she got it, double the diff refunded so got £24 back costing me £31 for fifa and a lego game smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now