Talk

Advanced search

To feel humiliated by this GP?

(72 Posts)
zebradebra Thu 20-Oct-11 09:07:39

Went to one of the GP's in our practice yesterday as i have had a few between periods bleeds. I have had abnormal smear's in the past. AIBU in thinking what happened next is wrong?

He said "well you need to be tested for gonorrhoea and chlamydia oh and while your there ask the nurse to do a smear test.

He then gave me a print out to hand to the receptionist with test for gonorrhoea and chlamydia clearly visable.

Sorry, but i just feel a little humiliated by that.

is it routine to test for STI'S when you have abnormal bleeding?

worraliberty Thu 20-Oct-11 09:10:06

Yes it is routine

I know you feel embarrassed by it but honestly to them, it's nothing more than a normal process of elimination.

squeakyfreakytoy Thu 20-Oct-11 09:10:06

I had to have those tests when I went for IVF, it is routine as far as I know. Nothing humiliating.

teensistearaway Thu 20-Oct-11 09:10:15

I was tested for STIs when i went with same symtoms. It turned out to be nothing and the symtoms went away within a couple of months.
I was treated with alot more dignity than that though! I would submit a written complaint.

worraliberty Thu 20-Oct-11 09:11:28

A written complaint why? What did they do wrong? confused

catsareevil Thu 20-Oct-11 09:11:30

Its routine.

aldiwhore Thu 20-Oct-11 09:12:30

Its humiliating for you because (I assume) it makes you feel judged, like you look like the sort of person who'll have STI's! Well, anyone can have them, and many (clean living) people have them too. Its routine and your GP will not have judged you... I find their matter of fact approach a lot better than a long chat about sexual activity.

YAB(a little) U! Hope you get it sorted soon though, and I do understand the embarassment.

SardineQueen Thu 20-Oct-11 09:14:03

You get tested for all that stuff when you are pregnant too.

They are not passing judgement on whether you look like the sort to have the clap, or whatever it is you are thinking. They are simply carrying out the usual tests to eliminate common causes of symptoms like yours.

zebradebra Thu 20-Oct-11 09:15:16

Ok thanks. Glad to know its routine. But, i agree i should have been treated with more dignity! Not got the time for written complaint. Would have made time if not routine to test for sti's!!

EllaDee Thu 20-Oct-11 09:15:45

I think it is fairly normal, but he might have said so! Sometimes they do a campaign when they know one or other STI is rife in the area - nothing for you to be ashamed of, but I can see it would feel bad.

DoMeDon Thu 20-Oct-11 09:15:47

Whay do you feel humiilated by? The suggestion that you a nice clean living kinda girl may have a dirty STI?

It is routine and YABU.

VivaLeBeaver Thu 20-Oct-11 09:16:11

Yes it's routine and nothing to be humiliated about. At least they told you what they're testing for. I had the same but gp didn't tell be what the swabs were for, just muttered he was taking a swab. But I knew what he was testing for.

Now i could have argued that I didn't need testing, that I've been married for 12 years, etc. However, hand on heart I can't know for 100% that dh hasn't been playing about. Even if I do think it's very unlikely.

SardineQueen Thu 20-Oct-11 09:16:30

Would you rather that they sat people down and questioned them about how many sexual partners they had had before deciding whether they were a bit of a goer and needed tests?

How is that going to help people who have only ever been with their OH but unknown to them their OH has given them something?

Plus loads of people lie to the doctor (precisely as they don't want feel like they will be judged) and so any kind of screening would miss people who actually had these infections.

So all in all, it is right that they send people who present with these symptoms for these tests.

worraliberty Thu 20-Oct-11 09:17:39

In what way could your GP have made it more dignified?

The 'matter of fact routine' way you were treated is surely the best way is it not?

If you'd been treated like the tests were unusual and they don't give them to everyone, surely you really would have felt 'judged'?

To them, this is no different to handing you a blood test form and that's the way it should be imo.

squeakyfreakytoy Thu 20-Oct-11 09:18:12

Why on earth is someone suggesting she write a letter of complaint???

zebradebra Thu 20-Oct-11 09:18:57

Maybe if he had had a conversation with me and asked for my history then i could have saved the NHS some money and time, as i could have assured him i didnt have any sti's . Then he could have concentrated on test's i need.

I think also, he had had been more tactful then i wouldnt have felt judged. His mannor was awful and i think the judgement came from him!

marriedinwhite Thu 20-Oct-11 09:20:17

It could have been communicated very much better and with a little more sensitivity. "I'm going to give you a form for tests for sti's, it's a matter of routine for all ladies with your symptoms - the reception staff know that so please don't feel embarassed when you give them the form". He or she could also have popped the form in an envelope.

squeakyfreakytoy Thu 20-Oct-11 09:22:16

Unless you are a virgin, then there is no way of knowing what you have got without being tested. You were not being judged. STI's are not fussy about who they attach themselves to you know!

DoMeDon Thu 20-Oct-11 09:25:49

Why do people seem to need everything sugar coated and fluffy? Why should GP take extra time to reassure OP that he doesn't think she's a slaaag with dirty STI's?

Some women get STI's from their cheating husbands. Some women get them when the condom breaks. Some women go for years not knowing they have them.

Questioning OP would not definatley mean she didn't need the test. If you are in a sexual relationship there is a chance you could have an STI. Even if you're not in one now, you could have caught one long ago. STI's are on the increase and they need to be tackled.

VivaLeBeaver Thu 20-Oct-11 09:25:55

You wouldn't have been able to assure him that you don't have any stis, not unless youve never had sex.

Maisiethemorningsidecat Thu 20-Oct-11 09:26:09

Is it the abnormal smears that would make them suggest STI tests? Just wondering as I had bleeding inbetween periods, and I wasn't tested for anything.

VivaLeBeaver Thu 20-Oct-11 09:27:23

I don't think he needed to treat you with more dignity but he could possibly have explained why the test needed doing a it better. Just a quick " we need to test for xy and z as this is routine to rule out any infection which could be causing it"

duckdodgers Thu 20-Oct-11 09:30:01

I think you are being a bit sensitive really, its a GP, hes not judging you, you will just be another patient to him. and as for just "assuring" him you dont have any STIs - taking your word for it, dont be so ridicolous, medicine doesnt work like that! Why should he jsut take your word - he needs conclusive i.e negative test results that it is niot an STI that is causing it, a process of elimination in working out what is wrong.

Written complaint? Bonkers!!! Ok he handed you a bit of paper with it "clearly visible" - you could fold it up or something if you were that bothered!

VivaLeBeaver Thu 20-Oct-11 09:35:17

The tests needed to be clearly visible on the it of paper as I imagine the receptionist needed to input the test requests on the system so the nurse knew what tests needed doing.

So putting it in an envelope would make no difference.

zebradebra Thu 20-Oct-11 09:36:18

I was not happy with the fact he seemed to prioritise testing for STI's above the smear test tbh. Especially given my history. I needed coloscopy a few years ago.

I think i am being a little precious. But, he was extremely tactless.
Thanks for your replies!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now