Talk

Advanced search

to complain more loudly...

(18 Posts)
JjandtheBeanlovesUnicorns Thu 20-Oct-11 09:05:46

We've been really lucky and have been allocated a 3 bedroom private let house through a housing charity after being in a hostel for 6mnths, we've been here three months...

In our first week we were asked to write down any issues we discovered ready for a inspection from our housing officer.

-no hot tap in the kitchen
-front door window smashed (before we moved in)
-front door seal knackered often takes several attempts to shut.
-seal around back doors also knackered.
-one tap in the downstairs loo not working other either blasts water everywhere or doesn't work.
-cooker isn't fixed into the unit so when you open the door it slides forward
-hob wobbles A LOT its very risky having a pan on it!

And also not the LL's issue but we share a front garden with our neighbours and there is an ever expanding pile of rubbish, now added a mattress!!

Anyway the LL visited a month after the list went in, fixed the kitchen tap, said if it happens again this is what to do, ummm I'm not a plumber I won't be touching it,

Filed (sp) down the metal latch on the front door and noticed the glass, said are you bothered, well yes, it makes us look rough for a start and its freezing in the hall!

2mnths later and nothing, now its frosty the seals around the doors have totally disitergrated and the missing glass means downstairs is cold, the halls open onto diner/kitchen/stairs and upstairs hall so its driving us mad, I've put a curtain up but it will only do so much! And the cooker is really worrying me, I was told just not to use it hmm I ring HO once a week and LL is ignoring contact.

WBU to make more fuss?
Also who do I contact re. Neighbours rubbish tip overlapping our path? Tried talking to them but there's a bit of a language barrier.

JjandtheBeanlovesUnicorns Thu 20-Oct-11 09:07:41

Forgot to say, whatever he did the the front door made no difference, I still have to shut it 5+ times and hold myself against so it will lock, it won't stay shut unless locked...

Atwaroverscrabble Thu 20-Oct-11 09:10:42

Start ringing every day! Become a nuisance and they will get it sortrd. Also send a letter every 2-3 days by recorded delivery mentioning your calls etc and keep copies!

Environmental health at the council re the rubbish.

MumblingAndBloodyRagDoll Thu 20-Oct-11 09:11:42

You have to phone them today...the local authority....and the landlord and dont stop calling daily till you have a date for repairs for each problem. What was wrong with the tap exactly?

DoMeDon Thu 20-Oct-11 09:12:44

YANBU at all. I would speak to HO and explain that there is a child protection issue re safety due to the cooker/glass, that you need to be able to feed your children and keep them safe. I would also contact the council re the rubbish. Do you know what your naighbour's first language is? You could use t'internet to translate a nice version of a 'get your rubbish sorted' type message.

MumblingAndBloodyRagDoll Thu 20-Oct-11 09:12:49

The rubbish needs reporting to the council...its a health hazard. No use speaking to neighbours imo as people who are happy to dump crap in veiw of everyone else, wont usually be helpful.

Dawndonna Thu 20-Oct-11 09:14:23

If the housing authority are managing it, they are responsible for the maintainance. They also have a legal duty to ensure the place is safe, which the cooker isn't, and neither is broken glass. You need to remind them of their legal duties and tell them if they don't get their finger out they will be hearing from a solicitor.

HipHopOpotomus Thu 20-Oct-11 09:16:16

Yes keep at them - complain daily.
The LL will be paid over the odds rent by HA and should make these repairs asap.

Re the rubbish can you not report it as flytipping? Where I live I can do this online.

BoastingByStealth Thu 20-Oct-11 09:18:37

The squeaky wheel gets the oil!

Contact council environmental health about rubbish. Take photos of everything.

Keep a log of calls, damage, repairs.

Contact your local MP about everything. They will advise you to get int ouch with housing Standards Officer, and will liase with them on your behalf.

Keep squeaking!

JjandtheBeanlovesUnicorns Thu 20-Oct-11 09:19:15

I have to say I'm relieved, we've been told by friends to lump it and be grateful we have a house!

I've just had enough there's all chunks of glass around the edge of the window and ds bumped the door yesterday carrying his school bits in and later me and dd got glass in our foot,

I have no idea what's wrong with the tap, the LL started explaining to undo this and that and I was extremely confused! Its working now, but slowly. The downstairs loos taps not working isn't the end of the world, but a nusiance all the same! Housing charity or not I'm still parting with £650pcm!

DoMeDon Thu 20-Oct-11 09:28:57

That's like some posters on here telling OP's they should be grateful their partner swishes the hoover round once a month as their partner does no housework. Your friend's may be in difficult housing situations but that doesn;t make your situation acceptable.

BoastingByStealth Thu 20-Oct-11 09:38:30

If all else fails, email story and pics to Dominic Littlewood at the BBC.

screamingbohemian Thu 20-Oct-11 09:44:29

Let me get this straight, you have no window glass in your front door? And your friends think you should lump it????

No doubt the landlord feels the same way and that's why he's being an arse. But that's ridiculous, everyone deserves decent housing.

You could also go to Citizens Advice Bureau and find out your legal options?

Of course you can't have a broken window in the winter! Sheesh what's wrong with people.

AKMD Thu 20-Oct-11 09:45:11

Take photos of your injuries too. Phone, phone, phone, first thing in the morning and at 3pm to check what progress has been made that day.

Where on earth do you live? £650pcm for a HA 3-bed is a hue amount of money! Could you not go private by yourselves?

TotemPole Thu 20-Oct-11 09:46:49

You could also contact Shelter to ask for advice. They should be able to tell you what your rights are.

JjandtheBeanlovesUnicorns Thu 20-Oct-11 10:11:42

Its a private let that a housing charity rent for us, if that makes sense. Its all quite complicated because they dragged there heels for 6mnths then suddenly grabbed whatever was availble, somewhere we've never lived or know anyone either,

Re. Front door there is a single pane left, however cracked badly, and has a hole, bit of ice and shut roughly, which we have to do, and that's gone, the outer pane is gone all together, was double glazed.

I've rang my ho and she's going to write a letter on my behalf. I'm so scared of rocking the boat, were really settled here and despite the issues intend to extend our contract. LL was keen too, hope it isn't because he sees young family and housing charity and assumes he can treat us badly! She's stating in the letter he has 5 days to come and asses the issues or we will take it further. Fingers crossed.

--crying on the phone must have worked, hormonal whimp that I am--

ballstoit Thu 20-Oct-11 10:20:51

Take a look at Your Rights as a Tenant which explains your right to get repairs necessary for safety carried out yourself and deduct the cost from your rent.

Get 3 quotes, write to landlord enclosing the quotes and stating that if the work is not carried out within 21 days you will instruct the cheapest quote and deduct the cost from your rent. I would also explain that your child has been injured and that you wish to ensure the future safety of yourself and your children.

I wrote a similar letter to my landlord as the glass was smashed in our front porch and the stair carpet was frayed in several places. I didn't have to carry out the repairs myself, the letter prompted my landlord to get her finger out and do it herself.

JjandtheBeanlovesUnicorns Thu 20-Oct-11 20:45:59

Thank you balls, I will go and look at that more thoroughly now.

LL rang this afternoon and I got dp to take the call. Funny how he was so obliging when its a man he's talking to... Dp just said its not good enough end of, he said he'll ring back. I won't wait though, I'll prepare a letter --for when-- incase he doesn't ring back.

Thank you all for the advice and help, much appreciated smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now