Talk

Advanced search

To want a steam cleaner mop thing??

(24 Posts)
HairyBeaver Thu 20-Oct-11 08:44:01

I've seen them on the TV and they look fab. Are they? Anyone ever used one and are they worth the money?

valiumredhead Thu 20-Oct-11 08:46:46

Mine was shit - doesn't even turn on. A friend's broke after a year. I would get one from Argos or somewhere you know will take it back if there are any problems.

Melindaaa Thu 20-Oct-11 08:49:47

Love, love, love mine. The first one did only last probably nine months, but was worth every penny.

No buckets of water, quick to dry, takes seconds to heat up.

CailinDana Thu 20-Oct-11 08:50:40

I have the lakeland one and it's a bit shit to be honest. The little plastic plug thing for the water container is ridiculously fiddly and kept falling out. It got lost after two uses and now the hole is stuffed with paper. The wipey pad thing (technical term) doesn't stick well and gets rolled up while you're trying to drag the blooming thing across the floor. This may be because I have shit uneven floors - might be better once the lovely new flooring is in (whenever that may be - looking at you DH). However in spite of that I do find it quite useful. I hate buckets and mops and used to avoid cleaning the floor at all costs. The fact that it uses steam means you don't get water slopping everywhere and it dries really fast. The floor won't be pristine but I don't really care about that!

miniwedge Thu 20-Oct-11 08:51:37

DO NOT DO IT!!! I did based on all the threads on here....... and then I started my own thread complete with ritual burning.

valiumredhead Thu 20-Oct-11 08:53:03

I have an E Cloth mop from Lakeland - no buckets! grin

MrsBradleyCooper Thu 20-Oct-11 08:54:52

I have the Bissell one and it's quite good. I've heard bad things about the Lakeland one.
TBH it's like most things - if you want it to work well I think you need to get one of the £349.99 ones.....sad

Ilovemypinkflowerywellies Thu 20-Oct-11 08:54:56

Loving mine too it's the Black and Decker one

valiumredhead Thu 20-Oct-11 08:57:24

I have a big POLTI one but it's not an every day one.

Joolyjoolyjoo Thu 20-Oct-11 08:57:31

I've got the Black and Decker one for work. I was expecting miracles, but it's just ok. Slightly underwhelmed, but possibly because I believed the hype.

HairyBeaver Thu 20-Oct-11 08:58:19

Mmmmm mixed reviews... So your floors arn't sparkling clean after one use? sad

mumblechum1 Thu 20-Oct-11 09:01:39

I bought one a few weeks ago and was a bit pissed off that after I'd bougt it I had to spend another £13 on the water softening crystals, and it certainly doesn't give the kitchen floor a really good clean. I'd say it's the equivalent of wiping over the floor with a damp cloth, as opposed to a really good scrub with a scrubbing brush which is the only way to get it noticeably clean looking.

Did q well on my wooden floors, though.

dawntigga Thu 20-Oct-11 09:08:02

Got mine from Morrisons and it's fab.

GoesToShowYouNeverCanTellTiggaxx

BoastingByStealth Thu 20-Oct-11 09:09:32

I've got the HomeTec one and I bloody well swear by it.

When DS was very small I was obsessive about cleaning the floors (I have chilled out a bit now he's nearly 4) and the upheaval it took for me to use a mop and bucket then slide around the floor with a cloth on my feet trying to dry it - PLUS the "don't walk on Mummy's floors, I've JUST cleaned them!" completely vanishes with the Steam Mop. It's so good, I can even let my 10yo do it grin (which she loves)

Turn it on, shove it around, put it away, Robert is your mother's brother. grin

The ONLY thing with mine is that I only got one cloth with it, but you can buy replacement cloths.

Honestly, I really can't reccomend it enough. I have slate and laminate floors. It's brilliant!

CamperFan Thu 20-Oct-11 09:24:52

I really want one too. I don't understand how the reviews can be so mixed for the same product. On Amazon, loads of people say its 4-5 stars (Black and Decker), then you have 10 people giving it 1 star and a shit review. Are these people just not using it properly, or have weird tiles/floors?

BoastingByStealth Thu 20-Oct-11 09:29:21

I don't know, but I would say I was pretty hard to please where cleaning floors are concerned, and I am REALLY pleased.

If the cloth you have on it isn't clean, then it can leave streaks, but if used properly, it really is a doddle, with great results.

BuntyCollocks Thu 20-Oct-11 09:34:33

Love mine, have the vax one, 50 in Argos just now.

emsyj Thu 20-Oct-11 10:31:13

I've been lookinng into this after being up at 5am one morning with DD and watching a 3 hour long infomercial about them in a zombie-like trance of tiredness.

The Polti Vaporetto has amazing reviews on the John Lewis website but is about £230. The others I found had very mixed reviews. I want the Polti one very badly indeed, but cannot justify £230 on a mop at the moment. I am due a pay rise in December so if I get a decent one (ha!) I will buy the mop.

How sad. I remember a time when a pay rise meant a big night out and a new outfit. Now it's a fecking mop for celebration. And I'm excited about it. Gah. <old gimmer>

MidnightHag Thu 20-Oct-11 11:18:46

I really want one too, but I'm hesitating because the reviews are so mixed.

Maryz Thu 20-Oct-11 11:22:20

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO.

They don't work unless you clean the floor first. Honestly, that's what the instructions say. If you don't clean your floor first, the floor ends up streaked and grungy.

There's a fair few threads around her about them at this stage.

Renniehorta Thu 20-Oct-11 11:32:44

I bought the Lakeland one a few months ago. It was about £90 and came with 3 pads and a bottle to ionise the water for the steam. I think it is excellent. I have tried varous products/methods on my laminate floors and it is by far the best. I am considering buying another steamer for other jobs around the house.

I cannot understand how people can give such varying reviews for the same products. We must all have very different expectations.

ddubsgirl Thu 20-Oct-11 11:38:31

i have a vax one its great havent used mop for months now since i got the steamer,cleaners so much better as well and i can use it on the carpets.

ddubsgirl Thu 20-Oct-11 11:38:48

cleaners???? ffs cleans

BoastingByStealth Thu 20-Oct-11 12:41:26

The HomeTec one cost about £38. It's £11 for three spare cloths (or was when I bought it)

I have very high expectations, and am not disappointed. You don't need to clean the floor first. Perhaps if it's VERY dirty, you may need to mop twice with a new cloth, but once it's done, it's so easy to whip it out and spot clean, so your floors should never really get that dirty again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now