Talk

Advanced search

or should I talk to my neighbours about this?

(23 Posts)
PeggyCarter Thu 20-Oct-11 08:25:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PeggyCarter Thu 20-Oct-11 08:28:54

moogster1a Thu 20-Oct-11 08:32:14

Sorry, I think YABU. Everything sounds very loud at that ungodly hour of the morning. I'm sure they don't like getting up then but I presume they have to.
The washing obviously has to go on before they leave for work or it wouldn't get done in the evening.
As for the volume of the alarm they will need it reasonably loud to wake them up or they'll sleep through it. Again, I bet they don't like being woken by a loud noise.
Sorry, just what happens when you don't live in a detached house surrounded by a few acres!

Shutupanddrive Thu 20-Oct-11 08:33:51

Yes it wouldn't hurt to have a word I don't think. Hopefully they don't realise how noisy they are being, and will make an effort to keep it down

malovitt Thu 20-Oct-11 08:39:03

The washing machine being put on that early would annoy me, they should buy a timer for a few quid so it switches itself on at a reasonable hour.

We are not allowed to hoover or put a washing machine on in my flats until 8am.

Our alarm goes off early and I'm sure the people downstairs from us can hear it too, so I make a massive effort to turn it off after one ring and get straight up.

valiumredhead Thu 20-Oct-11 08:40:05

Do they have carpets? - everything sounds loud when there is noting to muffle the sound.

Earplugs? They might have a timer on their machine which would mean it could go an a bit later - worth a chat.

I am SO glad I don't live in a flat anymore ( sorry NOT helpful! grin)

pud1 Thu 20-Oct-11 08:47:47

If they do not have carpets they may be in breach of the leasehold agreement. Mant state that you have to have carpets in above ground floor. Pour upstairs neighbours have wood floor and I sympathise although I have never complained about the noise I just put up with it. I am sure my kids can be heard throughout the entire building

PeggyCarter Thu 20-Oct-11 09:01:16

TotemPole Thu 20-Oct-11 09:06:37

5:30 am is too early to start the washing machine. I think 7 should be the earliest.

EllaDee Thu 20-Oct-11 09:07:17

They can't help the alarm or the stomping, I think. But do ask about the washing machine. Likely they just don't realize ho bad the sound proofing is. And if you ask them about that, they may try to tiptoe a bit more too, having realized it's noisy!

Emsmaman Thu 20-Oct-11 09:19:11

If they're wearing shoes stamping around then it's reasonable to ask them not to. Also think it's reasonable to ask them not to start the machine so early. be prepared for the possible backlash though of them either complaining about your noise or them deliberately making more noise. Not really either of your fault if the place is badly soundproofed, have been in this situation myself.

PeggyCarter Thu 20-Oct-11 11:05:50

kelly2000 Thu 20-Oct-11 11:14:58

YANBU, living in those sorts of buildings is a two way street, yes they are more noisy, but no you cannot do what you want when you want. They are being unreasonable by having an alarm so loud it wakes you, and putting the washing machine on so early. Where I used to live this was illegal (as was flushing the loo after eleven at night!!).

However, you are going to have a baby, and that will no doubt wake them up.

pissedrightoff Thu 20-Oct-11 11:17:25

Hey Joyful
Hope you are well.
I would leave it TBH, There's every chance the baby will be waking them at 3am come December. smile

Firawla Thu 20-Oct-11 11:20:15

i would just try to ignore it i think, after some time you might just get accustomed to their noise and be able to tune it out iyswim.. as they are not doing it on purpose and its just daily life like walking round and washing machines, i would feel bad to say anything myself. if it was loud music etc then yes

BsshBossh Thu 20-Oct-11 11:25:55

I would say nothing for the moment, if I were you, and try and see if you get used to it. But there is no harm continuing to try and meet them (not to talk about the noise but to simply meet them). Very soon your DS will we waking them up at all hours of the night (and day, if they do shift work) and you want them to be understanding of your noise too. Also, you have a toddler - she will get noisier as she gets older.

slavetofilofax Thu 20-Oct-11 11:30:53

I wouldn't say anything, your baby is likely to annoy them far more than their washing machine annoys you.

Also, they might not be wearing shoes, some hard/rubber soled slippers probably sound the same, and lots of people have to wear them.

suburbandream Thu 20-Oct-11 11:33:38

I lived in a basement for 10 years and I know what it's like to have noisy neighbours! TBH, I don't think you can do much about the alarm - if they have to get up at that time that's just the way it is. However, 5.30 is too early for the washing machine. Have a look in your tenancy agreement - I bet there's something in there about noise between 11pm and 7am or something similar. I had a new upstairs neighbour who used to come in and put hers on after 11pm and I had to have a word because her kitchen was right above my DC's bedroom. The neighbours might not realise how noisy they are being - although I'm sure they will realise how noise travels both ways once your new baby arrives wink smile

CustardCake Thu 20-Oct-11 11:40:28

I think YAB a little U too. If you can tell that the alarm clock is a mobile because you hear the vibrations then this indicates that the problem is with the building not with the neighbour. To be able to hear that so clearly through the ceiling means the sound proofing is zero and anything that they do is going to seem loud. They are basically living a fairly normal life (no loud music, mad parties, dropping heavy weights on the floor or anything) although maybe saying something about the washing machine would be O.K

Maybe the previous tenent had a lot of rugs that muffled the sound and took them when they moved?

AmberLeaf Thu 20-Oct-11 11:50:09

YABU

They can quite probably hear you too and will no doubt hear your new born baby when its born!

PeggyCarter Thu 20-Oct-11 13:29:40

suburbandream Thu 20-Oct-11 13:33:10

When I met my upstairs neighbour, I made sure I got in first by saying something along the lines of "I hope my DCs won't disturb you, they are quite boisterous and the walls are paper thin you know!", thus apologising in advance about my own noise and making it clear that I'd be able to hear all hers!!

GnomeDePlume Thu 20-Oct-11 13:42:11

I think suburbandream's suggestion is a good one. When you do eventually meet your neighbour then explain that you have a baby due soon and apologise in advance for the noise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now