Talk

Advanced search

ARGH bloody Facebook stupid 'post this to your status for one hour' posts...hormonal rant alert. Child abuse mentioned.

(18 Posts)
NinkyNonker Wed 19-Oct-11 19:46:26

I am usually fairly tolerant of Facebook and its inane twitterings, I tend to check it once every few days to see how my overseas friends are, every now and then maybe post a couple of new pics of DD for them.

So imagine my hormonal reaction when I log on this evening to a large, graphic picture of a little girl of about 2's face after she was beaten (to death) as it turned out, by her mother. No choice about whether I saw it and the accompanying sensationalist, turgid text about having to repost it to show I was against child abuse and now the bloody image is imprinted on my ridiculously hormonal brain and I can't get rid of it.

I know it isn't her fault as such that I am full of pregnancy hormones and am still not able to watch/hear anything relating to babies since having DD just over a year ago, but surely...anyone with an ounce of common sense and compassion would recognise that something like that could be hugely upsetting?? I have hidden the post after commenting that it was the last thing I needed and a little unnecessary, but I resent having that image forced on me and the implicit "if you don't repost this you are not against child abuse" clap trap. The culprit is a middle aged teacher of whom I am very fond, and I am surprised at her for posting it.

AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

sad

I need to pull myself together, I know.

mamatomanygirls Wed 19-Oct-11 19:49:14

I saw this too, it's absolutely horrible and I felt angry with my 'friend' for posting it - it doesn't achieve anything but to placate the posters conscience.

DontGoCurly Wed 19-Oct-11 19:50:34

angry Report it....how dare people use such a picture....angryangryangry

crazynannawitchbitch Wed 19-Oct-11 19:54:42

It really disturbed me,too. It is a friend of mine who posted it...but she also posts loads of those silly C&P things,so I have had to 'hide' her now.

bibbitybobbitybloodyaxe Wed 19-Oct-11 19:57:58

Totally horrific and disgusting. Cut these idiots out of your life. Why on earth do people think its acceptable to share this sort of image on the internet? Poor little child, I hope to goodness none of my friends think fit to share this. I credit them with more intelligence, both intellectual and emotional. I will absolutely have my say if it comes in to my news feed from anybody.

Feminine Wed 19-Oct-11 19:58:14

Yes,a 'friend' posted it on mine too.

But are they the related? is the picture (horrific as it is) to do with the story?

How would anyone know that happened before hand iyswim?

Its dreadful ...that poor baby in the picture.

NinkyNonker Wed 19-Oct-11 20:03:01

I'm so surprised at her, I really thought more of her than to post such overly emotive claptrap. I can't get the bloody image out of my head, I just keep thinking of my DD asleep upstairs. ARRRRGGGGGHHHHHH.

bibbitybobbitybloodyaxe Wed 19-Oct-11 20:05:33

Tell her straight what you think Ninky. People should engage their brains before forwarding this stuff.

MangoMonster Wed 19-Oct-11 20:08:32

I'd be upset too. Tell her.

NinkyNonker Wed 19-Oct-11 20:09:32

I bottled it and just said "Blimey S, this was the last thing I needed, and a little OTT don't you think?" I've hidden the post now so I can't get it back to comment further I don't think. sad

EricNorthmansMistress Wed 19-Oct-11 20:10:39

YANBU
I had a friend post an image of a baby who had been left outside and bitten by ants, then a few days later someone else posted that video of a toddler being run over in China. I commented on first friend's post and she removed it, but the second one drove me over the edge. I posted very ranty status saying people were being vile and voyeuristic to circulate these images and it was achieving nothing. I hid the offender and will do again (after letting them know why) - if this becomes a facebook 'trend' I might stop using it. My friend dubbed these mindless postings 'slacktivism' which I thought was a great word.

NinkyNonker Wed 19-Oct-11 20:17:16

That word sums up what DH and I were trying to express. I'm just so fed up with it, luckily most of my friends don't do it but really. Enough.

EllaDee Wed 19-Oct-11 20:37:20

I don't like it. I think it's totally inappropriate.

Arion Wed 19-Oct-11 20:38:48

Snopes.com has info on rumours doing the rounds.

here

There is a link to a picture of a little girl who looks beaten, she was actually attacked by a dog and survived.

According to the website there is no such beating, no child killed (in this story but obviously there is abuse around) it is a moral tale supposed to teach parents to think and not lose their temper. hmm

MrsLevinson Wed 19-Oct-11 20:44:13

YANBU. I saw the same image and felt very upset by it.

If I thought for one second that we could end child abuse/find a cure for cancer/prevent suicide then I would be posting these things left right and centre but of course we can't, as EricNorthmansMistress said it's pure voyeurism and seems to be done completely without thought.

EllaDee Wed 19-Oct-11 20:44:28

That is really disgusting, Arion. sad

(Not you - obviously! - the fact people would fake that.)

NinkyNonker Wed 19-Oct-11 20:46:41

Thanks Arion, I feel better now. (Though I am now eyeing my dog suspiciously...)

snetter Wed 19-Oct-11 21:41:35

I saw it and hid the post. Was surprised as it was posted by someone i didn't expect. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now