Talk

Advanced search

To think 17 degrees C is too low a thermostat setting.

(129 Posts)
WhenSheWasBadSheWasHorrid Wed 19-Oct-11 17:55:32

Dh wants to save m

WhenSheWasBadSheWasHorrid Wed 19-Oct-11 17:58:10

Sorry about that. Dd tried to help.

Dh wants to save money on heating and has set thermostat at 17 degrees. We have a 9 month old dd and I am wearing two layers of thermals and am still freezing. Is 17 too low, what is a reasonable setting?

Ripeberry Wed 19-Oct-11 17:59:57

A temp of 17c is OK for bedrooms, but downstairs (living room) needs to be at least 18-19c and if you have young children or elderly then 21c.

MoaninMinny Wed 19-Oct-11 18:00:37

we have ours about that on the few times we do have the heating actually on

i dont like it on at all as it makes the animals puff and pant too much. in fact we usually have the back door left open except if its particularly bitter

GalaxyWeaver Wed 19-Oct-11 18:00:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mustdash Wed 19-Oct-11 18:02:06

Personally I prefer 18-19c, but we had an energy survey done a couple of years ago, and the chap told us they now recommend 15c. That was for grown ups though, if you have a baby I'm sure it needs to be warmer.

Ephiny Wed 19-Oct-11 18:02:32

We have ours on 18 most of the time, sometimes 20 in the mornings if it's been a very cold night. Not trying to save money or anything, I just don't like it too warm and stuffy indoors.

If you're cold though, you're cold. Would your DH compromise on 20, that might be a bit more comfortable for you, but no one could call it excessive! And if you're at home in the day and he's not, you should get more say over it IMO, after all you (and DD) are the ones being affected.

slavetofilofax Wed 19-Oct-11 18:04:08

We have our on no less than 20, usually a little more than that.

Your dh is being tight expecting you to look after a baby in that sort of temperature.

WhenSheWasBadSheWasHorrid Wed 19-Oct-11 18:05:23

Mustdash
15 good greif, I will admit I feel the cold more than most people but has to be uncomfortable for almost anyone.

ZombiesAteYourCervix Wed 19-Oct-11 18:06:25

mines on bloody zero.

i'dlike i ton about 25.

TheEndlessArete Wed 19-Oct-11 18:06:45

Ours is set for 16.5 ! Just to take the edge off. I usually find that's ok for the mornings, as we're all warm after the night, but often turn it up later on in the day when it gets darker.

Groovee Wed 19-Oct-11 18:07:14

I like ours at about 19 but dh keeps putting it up to 30!!!!

JoandMax Wed 19-Oct-11 18:07:15

Ours is at 20, DS2 really feels the cold so we keep the house warm for him. If it was just us then 17 would be ok but not for babies

rockboobs Wed 19-Oct-11 18:08:26

We had 17 today indoors and I was contemplating putting the heating on for the first time. I have a 9 month old and he seems quite happy with a cardi and socks on without heating, he's quite active now though. We decided to go for a long walk when I started to feel chilly indoors - I can see that happening a lot as the temperatures come down, to save putting the heating on.
All in all though, 17 would be the temp when I'd want heating on...so YANBU to feel the cold but he's being a bit U by making rules about heating.

TheEndlessArete Wed 19-Oct-11 18:09:14

.......should add that it is set to 16.5 because our bill last winter was TRIPLE the year before !!! Our youngest is now 18mths, so last winter had the heating on more - I think when they're little your natural instinct is to want it warmer. Tell your husband that you'll have it lower next year when the baby is a bit bigger, but this year needs to be 18.....

Apparently it's -4C in Aviemore, so I guess we should be grateful for what we've got !

blackteaplease Wed 19-Oct-11 18:11:41

Ours is set to 17 too, and we haven't turned the heating on yet. Is your baby moving yet as that will keep them warm. Our boiler broke for two weeks last winter when dd was just 1 and I wrapped her up warm, it was fine. But, I live in a new build which holds the heat well, if you are in a draughty old place then it might be different.

catsareevil Wed 19-Oct-11 18:11:55

I have mine turned down to 17 at the moment, and it is a little bit cold, 18 was better, but I'm going to keep it at 17 for a bit longer to see if it becomes OK. There isnt a baby in our house though, its understandable that you would prefer 18 with a baby.

WhenSheWasBadSheWasHorrid Wed 19-Oct-11 18:15:39

She is crawling and pulling herself to standing so that might keep her warm. Poor thing has had cold hands all day.

ScaredBear Wed 19-Oct-11 18:17:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

blackteaplease Wed 19-Oct-11 18:19:30

But cold hands aren't an indication that she is too cold. How does her chest/ back feel? IIRC the ideal room temp for newborn babies is 18-20 otherwise they overheat. Could you and DH compromise on 18?

backwardpossom Wed 19-Oct-11 18:21:08

Apparently it's -4C in Aviemore, so I guess we should be grateful for what we've got

I'm not that far from there, and I can confirm, it is fucking freezing. Grr!

RedHotPokers Wed 19-Oct-11 18:25:35

Ours is set at 18c, but we occasionally switch it up a degree in the evening.

GalloweesG Wed 19-Oct-11 18:26:10

Fuck that. Our thermostat doesn't go below 20. Can't your dh give up something before he stops his family feeling warm?

FinancialScents Wed 19-Oct-11 18:26:12

I think generally 17 degrees is too cold in the winter. Just now, for me, it's about right. The man who built our house has several times gone around checking our thermostats to make sure they are not above 16 degrees hmm as apparently this will dry out the house and cause cracks. I actually don't give a flying feck about cracks - I care about keeping my children and me warm. So when it gets colder outside, the thermostat will go up.

To me, 16 degrees is the temperature in my car when I have the air con on in blazing weather. It is not warm enough to heat a house when it is cold outside.

I grew up in a house where ice used to form on my glass of water by my bedside, so damned if I am going to suffer being cold now. I humour the builder and go round switching the thermostats to his required temperature prior to his visits. Just so I don't get him telling me to just put another jumper on when it is -7 outside (as he did last winter).

Chattymummyhere Wed 19-Oct-11 18:29:16

Ours is set to come on at 17C but it really comes on at 16C and its nice and warm in our house however the temp currently is 18.5C

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now