Talk

Advanced search

to think I should be able to buy a bl***dy nitcomb without an inquisition!

(10 Posts)
WickedWitchofWatford Wed 19-Oct-11 14:31:08

Went to the chemist to get a nitcomb, and the assistant was giving the poor chap at the counter a very loud and intrusive inquisition about his wife's condition and medication. Ok fair enough they have a job to do, I thought. However when it was my turn, she started to inflict various leaflets on me and lecture me and try to sell me headlice remedies, when I could get a word in edgeways I explained my dd doesn't even have headlice, she has a flaky scalp and a nitcomb is good for getting the flakes out, we have been doing this for about 10 years fgs, so she then starts on about the dangers of that and her scalp would get infected and what preparations is she using, she'd recommend this that and the other.

AIBU to think I should be able to buy a nitcomb without this level of questioning?

fourkids Wed 19-Oct-11 14:32:46

YANBU. She is power crazed.

eaglewings Wed 19-Oct-11 14:34:33

You should be able to buy without being given the nth degree, but if it's been going on 10 years perhaps the lady thought there could be something new on the Market that would help like a new shampoo

10 years of nit combing sounds sore!

MrBloomsNursery Wed 19-Oct-11 14:41:29

Hmmm...pretty embarrassing. But then, you should really think about sorting the flaky scalp out - surely there must be a cure? Oilatum or something? Take her to the doctor.

purplewerepidj Wed 19-Oct-11 14:42:50

Poor assistant's probably being hounded by the powers-that-be to make more sales!!

That said, hectoring tones of voice are not the best sales tactics, so yanbu on that score wink

DoMeDon Wed 19-Oct-11 14:45:21

She was doing her job and sounds like she had a point. YAB touchy.

WickedWitchofWatford Wed 19-Oct-11 14:46:38

Sorry I should have explained that she is using prescription shampoo, and the doctor recommended the nitcomb, which I did try to tell the woman but it didn't shut her up!

reelingintheyears Wed 19-Oct-11 15:41:03

Just smile and say 'thanks' but i'll just have the comb please.

Then leave.

eaglewings Wed 19-Oct-11 15:44:16

Perhaps walking in and say "I'm the wicked witch of Watford and I'd like a nit comb" was your undoing?

LineRunner Wed 19-Oct-11 17:05:50

She has clearly been on Training.

Having said that ... when I was a kid I had scalp psoriasis, and our stupid GP told my mother to 'remove' the scales with a nitcomb. It was - pardon the language - fucking horrendous. Humiliating, sore, uncomfortable, inconvenient, and ineffective. Some GPs give stupid advice and that was truly stupid advice. My mother was till trying to do this to me with the nitcomb when I was 14 until I told her to fuck off and leave me the fuck alone.

All kids with dry scalp conditions need to learn to treat themselves, privately, with non-gunky non-stinky lotions and pleasant, effective shampoos.

GPs from the dark ages aren't a huge help, sorry.

IMHO. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now