Talk

Advanced search

to not give blood?

(38 Posts)
MurderBloodstabsandgore Wed 19-Oct-11 14:15:35

I have registered to give blood.

I phoned them and they said I can take the baby with me. She is 11MO.

I just can't face going and taking her. She will cry and moan if I am not interacting with her and I presume I can't pick her up? I've never been before and I'm a bit scared TBH.

I am going to put it off until the new year when she is in nursery and I can go.

AIBU?

DamselInDisarray Wed 19-Oct-11 14:17:17

Why did you bother registering if you didn't want to take your baby with you?

I wouldn't want to take a baby with me either. Being immobilised with a baby to look after is not my idea of fun.

DontCallMeFrothyDragon Wed 19-Oct-11 14:17:22

YANBU. smile I don't know much about giving blood, but surely it's better that you're relaxed?

starsintheireyes Wed 19-Oct-11 14:18:03

Im suprised they said you can, I was under the impression you cant give blood until 12 months have passed since having a baby. Just go on the next date, round my way they have a session every 3months approx.

DontCallMeFrothyDragon Wed 19-Oct-11 14:18:49

Damsel, you don't have to go to the first appointment they send. hmm

MurderBloodstabsandgore Wed 19-Oct-11 14:18:49

I want to do it.

My friend lost her dad and he needed lots before he died.

It's a good thing to do.

I feel shit about not going sad

MurderBloodstabsandgore Wed 19-Oct-11 14:19:19

You can give blood when the baby is 9months.

GuillotinedMaryLacey Wed 19-Oct-11 14:20:07

You can give blood 9 months after you have given birth so that's ok. I don't think I'd fancy taking an 11 mo along with me, particularly as you have to lie down and so she would have to be in the buggy and would probably create. So yes, either go without her (there are sessions until quite late into the evening) or go when she's at nursery.

DontCallMeFrothyDragon Wed 19-Oct-11 14:20:55

<hugs>

Don't feel shit about not going. Unless you can find someone to have DD for a while? That's the only alternative.

naturalbaby Wed 19-Oct-11 14:21:38

i was told you can go when baby is 9months.
just go on the website and find another date when you can get a babysitter. i've cancelled loads of sessions (and booked another one) because they aren't at a good time. i wouldn't take any of my kids in untill they can sit quietly in a corner with a games console/book/earphones in to entertain themselves.

IloveJudgeJudy Wed 19-Oct-11 14:23:45

I definitely wouldn't take my baby with me. I did take one of my DC with me a few times ago, just to watch as I was told I could, but tbh it was far too cramped and not a good idea.

They take blood at all different times of day and at lots of different places around the town I live in. I would just try for a time when you can get a babysitter and make sure you eat and drink just before you go. Also, they give us a half-pint of water to drink before we give, now.

EdithWeston Wed 19-Oct-11 14:23:48

I think it is a good idea to be as calm and relaxed as you can be the first time, so finding a time that suits is important.

You could either wait until someone else is looking after your DD (DH? GPs? Good friend?) or until she's in nursery.

Just make sure you do do it!

Don't feel bad - it's a brilliant thing to do, and a small delay doesn't matter.

mumsamilitant Wed 19-Oct-11 14:26:23

I give blood but didn't start till DS was older. Really don't worry about it.

MurderBloodstabsandgore Wed 19-Oct-11 14:26:30

Thanks smile

I feel a bit better as I've been chasing her round the front room and she took 2 steps! First ones! grin

slavetofilofax Wed 19-Oct-11 14:27:49

YANBU.

You have every intention of doing it I presume, so you are doing a good thing!

Just don't use your baby as an excuse. It is nerve racking when you first do it, actually I still get a bit nervous and I've done it a few times, but it's really not that bad at all.

coccyx Wed 19-Oct-11 14:29:40

Good grief. What a drama queen. If you can't go this time go next time.

Don't feel shit about not going right now after all you still intend to go.

Giving blood is not scary but if your 11 month old started to get upset whilst you were donating you wouldn't be able to get up and go to her straight away which would stress you out.

I feel a bit frustrated with people who are eligible to donate and don't which includes my DH (so much for my powers of persuasion hmm)

grin first steps grin

How good is that!

colken Wed 19-Oct-11 14:31:06

I've done it. I started to give blood when I was 18 and when, after marriage, the two little ones came along (14 months between them), I carried on when I could. I took them in a twin push chair and let them watch. The older they became, the more interested they were and they are now donors themselves.

TipOfTheSlung Wed 19-Oct-11 14:31:24

I can't get an appointment that isn't school pick up time. I'll have ds3 (2) with me so don't really want to go and do the waiting thing

notcitrus Wed 19-Oct-11 14:35:16

I wouldn't feel bad about that - it's up to 15 minutes of being hooked up and needing to relax, so IMO totally incompatible with small child. Could you take a friend and take turns to play with babies?

Reschedule the appt for when she's at nursery if you want to salve your conscience. I donated regularly for some years but now haven't been since 2007 thanks to being pregnant/postnatal/ill/pregnant. Hope to manage it soon - where else do you get to feel so good about yourself and get free biscuits?!

DamselInDisarray Wed 19-Oct-11 14:36:20

Don'tcallmefrothydragon: why not wait and register when one knows one'll go to an appointment. I don't see the point in getting the system to start sending you appointments when you know you aren't going to attend any of them yet. That's madness.

MurderBloodstabsandgore Wed 19-Oct-11 14:36:24

coccyx if it wasn't for drama queens the boards would be empty grin

suburbandream Wed 19-Oct-11 14:36:44

I've taken DS2, but when he was about 3 or so and could be relied on to be (fairly) good! I couldn't have done it with a toddler, so when the DCs were really little I managed to get to evening sessions. I think it depends where you give blood too - I lived in central London at the time and went to the West End Donor Centre. It is very big and has lots of space. They were brilliant, gave DS2 a colouring book, "Billy Blood-drop" cuddly toy (and one for his brother grin) and lots of biscuits. I've since moved and now have to give blood at one of the mobile units which is v.cramped and not nearly as nice an experience TBH. There is no way I could take a child with me.

MurderBloodstabsandgore Wed 19-Oct-11 14:40:04

only 15 mins? The man said I'd be in there 45 mins to an hour shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now