Talk

Advanced search

... to think that this new school idea to get children to eat is misguided?

(30 Posts)
aviatrix Tue 18-Oct-11 23:24:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Hettythump Tue 18-Oct-11 23:26:19

YANBU

Agree - it will encourage over eating

worraliberty Tue 18-Oct-11 23:28:49

Well on the face of it I think it sounds like a good idea if you're talking about Primary School.

My reasons being...

1.) Primary School dinners are generally very small (as they should be for a midday meal)

2.) There is so much waste when you look at what gets scraped into the bin.

3.) They'll often ask for an extra scoop of something but not finish it.

4.) Often they're more interested in getting out to play than eating.

5.) Some parents put enough food in a packed lunch to feed an Army...instead of a light midday meal.

So actually, it's probably not a bad idea smile

Birdsgottafly Tue 18-Oct-11 23:29:11

It will encourage overeating.

As for the 'dog training', classical conditioning works well on young children, as it does on animals, that haven't developed empathy, and social competence, yet.

JaneFonda Tue 18-Oct-11 23:30:30

YANBU - I don't understand the idea that you MUST clear your plate; if you're full, leave it. Also, from what I remember of school dinners especially, is that sometimes they could be really stodgy, and I certainly couldn't manage a full plate of them. This is a very strange initiative indeed - I certainly don't agree with it.

worraliberty Tue 18-Oct-11 23:32:51

Perhaps it depends on the school but I've sat and ate school dinners with the primary kids here and I can tell you I was shocked at the tiddly amount they get for £2.30 and yet I'm a firm believer in not over feeding kids or encouraging greed.

TheBestWitch Tue 18-Oct-11 23:37:20

YANBU although it wouldn't bother me personally as dd has a healthy appetite and always clears her plate and asks for more anyway.

SacreLao Wed 19-Oct-11 00:22:35

I would not be too keen on this as it may encourage over-eating.
I trust my children to know when they are full and let them finish.

How would you feel as an adult being made to clear your plate in a restaurant for example, why do the same to children?

Obviously different if you have a child that you KNOW is not full and is just distracted / wants pudding instead etc.

jamandposterpaint Wed 19-Oct-11 00:31:28

I wouldn't like this at all, and I agree that it could very well encourage over-eating.

I don't encourage my children to clear their plates, they eat till their full and they stop. My children are certainly the types (as probably are most) who would shovel a few more mouthfuls down with the promise of a 'prize' but then they are ignoring their natural response to stop eating when full.

Not a good response IMO.

grumplestilskin Wed 19-Oct-11 00:45:10

YANBU I would not be happy with this at all, the finish your plate regardless of fullness is an outdated and dangerous lesson!

startail Wed 19-Oct-11 01:34:37

It will end in tears and tantrums from the parentswink who all end up making sandwiches.

ChippingInToThePumpkinLantern Wed 19-Oct-11 01:45:09

It's a terrible idea. Children should stop eating when they've had enough and this should not be over ridden by anxious parents or knobbing schools.

aviatrix Wed 19-Oct-11 09:35:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

squeakyfreakytoy Wed 19-Oct-11 09:39:02

I doubt very much it will encourage over-eating, as the portion size is measured and should be adequate. It will however, prevent waste, and may put a stop to fussy eaters, as well as introduce foods to children that they say they dont like, even if they have never tried them.

BertieBotts Wed 19-Oct-11 09:41:03

But not everyone has the same appetite, so not everyone is going to need the same portion size.

BertieBotts Wed 19-Oct-11 09:42:11

And children might not have developed empathy and social conditioning to an adult level yet but that doesn't mean we should treat them the same as an animal who is never going to develop it.

LittleMissWoodscommaElle Wed 19-Oct-11 09:46:31

YANBU. Dh was brought up with this attitude by his parents and grandparents and became overweight then developed an eating disorder.

I saw it with my own eyes the other week when his mother told him she was disgusted with him for leaving half a chicken leg on his plate when he wasn't that hungry. (he had not served himself it had been served to him already plated.

If she EVER tries this with my kids I will flip.

I have food phobias about food I don't like/have not come across before and I remember clearly the horror of being made to eat things I didn;t like at school to the point of vomiting on my plate once.

jamandposterpaint Wed 19-Oct-11 09:49:51

There is a fundamental flaw in your argument there squeaky, how can anyone possibly say that the portion size is right for all.

There have been enough threads on here (saying their children are coming home ravenous) to prove that not everyone has the same appetite.

In lots of schools they serve the same portion to a 4yo reception child as they do to a strapping 11yo year 6 child. I'm fairly certain they won't have the same appetite and therefore don't need the same portion size.

usualsuspect Wed 19-Oct-11 09:49:53

My sister still has food issues because of being forced to eat certain foods at school

Its a terrible idea

BertieBotts Wed 19-Oct-11 09:55:33

I remember being forced to eat at school as well. I got into the hall late one lunchtime for some reason and there was only one choice of potato option left - horrible, grey, sloppy "smash". I asked if I could have extra veg instead, but NO, the rule was you had to have one portion of potatoes (the veg was actually optional! confused) So reluctantly I agreed to have the mash, and the dinner lady stood over me and insisted I eat at least half of it, even though I was retching, and said I was being silly and I'd have to stand by the window and not go out to play hmm I was so terrified of being in trouble that I forced it down, but it was awful.

I know it's not the same as bribing encouraging with positive reinforcement, but still. I swear that incident put me off potato even more than I already hated it, for years.

Scholes34 Wed 19-Oct-11 10:19:48

As a side issue, do I assume that all those parents who allow their children to stop eating when they're full are throwing leftovers away?

I would hope a parent knows what size portion their child should be eating and dish up accordingly. I know this doesn't relate to school dinners, but I do find it shocking how much food people throw away.

onefatcat Wed 19-Oct-11 10:23:09

YANBU!!!!! I hate this- dds school seems to have stopped it! What used to me was that the clean plate sticker also had a picture of burger and chips on it !! FFS!!

fatalist Wed 19-Oct-11 10:24:58

Parents were allowed to sit with their child for lunch at start of P1. I was shocked to see how many of the older children sat down with full plates, then after a few minutes chat, got up and went to scrape the meal UNTOUCHED into the bins. Then do the same for pudding. Quite a few of P1 go home for lunch, because otherwise at 3 o'clock the children are grizzling simply because they are hungry. It is allowed for children to go home for lunch, but even if that's possible for parents, the main play time is missed.
Having packed lunches doesn't necessarily help, as if everyone else is not eating, there is pressure not to eat, even if you want to, just to get outside as quickly as possible with your friends.
My child gets free school meals, but from what he says seems only to eat a few mouthfulls even on a day when he LIKES the food. I'm going to try him on sandwhiches again next week, but don't know what I'll do if they come back uneaten again.
I think it would help geatly if there was a rule that at least something was eaten by every child, but how it could be supervised I don't know. I have memories of swallowing down sick at school because the food was so yukky and we were not allowed to leave till we had finished. But more care is taken with school dinners now, and it cannot be good for a child to go hungry all day

rhondajean Wed 19-Oct-11 10:25:32

Im in two minds - I know from my own children that for the teenies, the distraction of the other children can have a bad effect on them actually eating anything so from that point of view its good, but the portions would need to be the right size.

Plus theres the healthy food aspect, is it because children are leaving all the veggies on the plate or similar?

WhoseGotMyEyebrows Wed 19-Oct-11 10:29:04

At my dcs school they give the same portion sizes for all ages. There is no way my 5yo could finish a plate of it.

I think it's a very bad idea. They will probably realise this after a couple of weeks of small children complaining of tummy ache all afternoon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now