Talk

Advanced search

to ask you to sit quite near me (not too close) and consider why I have one offensive armpit?

(25 Posts)
PishWife Tue 18-Oct-11 22:05:23

Anyone else get this? I shower daily, twice a day if I'm doing something in the evening. Never wear anything more than once, although it pricks my Eco-conscience.

Often, about once a fortnight, my right armpit lets me down after about 4 hours.

I have to throw away cotton Tshirts after about 5 wears because the right armpit has gone over to the dark side. Manmade fibres are a total no-no.

The only thing that works is Driclor, which stings like a bastard and turns my skin blue... and the aluminium has been associated with breast cancer in some studies.

I am a clever person approaching 40. I just can't work it out. I saw a documentary once that suggested that people wash their bumcracks & one armpit with their dominant hand, which causes bacteria transfer... I was all excited and thought that must explain it, but it doesn't.

Today I showered in the morning (bath last night too), put on anti-perspirant, body lotion and freshly laundered clothes, and a spritz of philosophy body spray. By 11am (very stressful day) I could smell my evil armpit & I know others could too. So embarassing...

BeyondLimitsOfTheLivingDead Tue 18-Oct-11 22:09:16

could it be infected? confused

onepieceofcremeegg Tue 18-Oct-11 22:10:58

My right armpit is definitely sweatier than the left.

I used to think that solid/roll on deodorant was more effective than spray, when in reality spray is more effective for me. I spray twice, but check in the mirror whilst doing it as it is easy to miss bits. If I have shaved my armpits in the morning it makes the problem worse. A standard spray (currently I am using Sanex) was significantly better than roll on Mitchum. If I change clothes in the day for any reason, such as going to work, I spray again.

I also read on here that soap is much better than shower gel type products.

Do you do a stressful job. I do and if something stressful/shocking happens then it makes me sweat really nervously and I am generally more sweaty/in need of a shower!

Re the clothes, I spray neat white vinegar under the armpits of all dh's and my shirts/tops. I find it helps a bit.

MyMamaToldMe Tue 18-Oct-11 22:12:23

Use this. It really works.

aldiwhore Tue 18-Oct-11 22:12:39

Are you right handed? You could be working up more of a sweat under your right arm.

It does sound excessive though, I'm general sweaty, but its not smelly sweat, the smell could be diet related but wouldn't solve the general 'sweating' just the odour.

I would at least talk to your GP about it. I have to say although I am a sweaty person, my clothes last as long as any, so if its impacting that much on your life I'd certainly look at my options for reducing the sweat production. I believe Botox is supposed to be excellent, but as a last resort (for me personally) not sure what others treatments are out there.

But it must be miserable. I would gladly sniff your armpit for you and be honest... you probably don't smell as much as you think you do.

Proudnscary Tue 18-Oct-11 22:13:20

OMG re bumcrack washing with dominant hand. But surely you wash said hand vigorously after the washing of the bum crack and subsequent washing of the armpit???

onepieceofcremeegg Tue 18-Oct-11 22:14:02

meant to add re the white vinegar. I mean I apply it before washing the clothes!

BimboNo5 Tue 18-Oct-11 22:14:12

That perspirex looks awesome- where does one purchase it?

PishWife Tue 18-Oct-11 22:14:51

Definitely not infected..!

Intrigued by the white vinegar! How does that work? Yes my job is very stressful...

MyMamaToldMe Tue 18-Oct-11 22:15:53

You can get it in Tescos, Boots - the usual! Be sure to read the instructions and follow them to the letter though. The smell (and sweat) will be gone if you do.

PishWife Tue 18-Oct-11 22:19:26

That's the idea, proudnscary. I have even trialled new flannel for armpits & then showerhead only from waist down for bumcrack... etc. No good.

2% of my surface area is making life difficult.

PishWife Tue 18-Oct-11 22:21:57

MyMama... Does perspirex sting & basically plug your pores with aluminium like Driclor does? Regardless, I am definitely trying it.

Proudnscary Tue 18-Oct-11 22:22:05

How dirty is your bum crack?

NO PLEASE DON'T ACTUALLY ANSWER.

I've been led to believe, one's finger nails, hair and probably armpits are dirtier than one's waste disposal areas.

Anyway, perhaps no hands at all (or flannel) and a hugely powerful shower jet?

PishWife Tue 18-Oct-11 22:23:47

Ah thank you cremeegg, you have just saved me from smelling like a chipshop (which would be a small improvement)

brighthair Tue 18-Oct-11 22:24:32

If your tops smell sweaty after washing, soak them in Napisan first. Godsend for my gym gear and riding tops totally clears any smell

onepieceofcremeegg Tue 18-Oct-11 22:25:02

x-post re the white vinegar. Don't apply it to your actual armpit! shock
When I re-read my first post I realised it was open to misinterpretation.

You say this problem only occurs every 2 weeks or so? Is this related to anything at work? If you are stressed or whatever then apparently emotional sweat rather than physical sweat iykwim is stronger and harder to deal with.

Is it related to your menstrual cycle at all?

Re the laundry, make sure you use a really decent powder, persil or ariel. Use the full amount. Don't bother washing stuff at 30, it needs 40 or 60 if the garment can cope with it.

Are you washing your bras regularly? - some on here claim to make them last for weeks. shock

Splinters Tue 18-Oct-11 22:27:59

Some of my cardigans have been worn so much they've developed holes in the armpits, and sadly I have to say this seems to be a good thing..

V interested in the vinegar thing though. Does it not gradually burn holes in your clothes? (or is that how it works?)

PishWife Tue 18-Oct-11 22:31:25

My bumcrack is fresh as a daisy actually. It's a puzzler.

shaz298 Tue 18-Oct-11 22:31:35

Hi, in my younger years i too experienced this. Although it smelled, it was a strange not a BO type smell. I def think it was hormonal and if it is regular then potentially thst may be the problem.

Re Droiclor. If you ensure you are really dry bfore applying it and follow directions to the letter it is much less uncomfortable. x

MyMamaToldMe Tue 18-Oct-11 22:35:53

It only stings if you apply it straight after shaving and if you apply too much of it. The leaflet you get with it says not to apply after shaving but to wait 48 hrs which is actually okay if you have already started using it as it gives you up to 5 days cover. I found one slick under each armpit was the right amount. But do make sure you read the instructions!

PishWife Tue 18-Oct-11 22:36:23

I have wondered if I should use bio powder now and then... Son has awful eczema so between that & what it does to our water I'm loath to use biological anything...

Yes my bra goes in after about 3-5 wears... They never whiff, though... Too low down...

onepieceofcremeegg Tue 18-Oct-11 22:37:06

The vinegar has not ruined any of our clothes and I have been doing it for a long time. I probably read it on here tbh. (Or watching Kim and Aggie maybe!?)

With heavy cotton shirts I put it on and don't worry if the washing machine isn't going on straight away. With more delicate tops I still apply it but tend to be more cautious and wash them immediately. Never had a problem yet but at your own risk of course. I find it kind of attacks the sweat and reduces that deodorant residue that is sometimes left on fabric.

onepieceofcremeegg Tue 18-Oct-11 22:38:42

I read on here (but I must stress I have no real knowledge of eczema) that most people that think they are reacting to the bio part of powders are actually more likely to be reacting to another component such as the fragrance. In some countries apparently bio powder isn't even available.

PishWife Tue 18-Oct-11 22:39:13

Thanks MyMama. I was always put off by the old-fashioned packaging (shallow) but will try that.

It could be related to my cycle. I will put a note on my period tracker thing.

Eaglebird Tue 18-Oct-11 22:44:36

Another vote here for Perspirex.
I apply it every 3 nights and it keeps my armpits as dry as a bone with no sweaty smells.
Just make sure you apply it to totally dry armpits, otherwise it really stings. I sprinkle a bit of baby powder on mine before I apply the Perspirex.

FWIW, I'm right handed and (prior to Perspirex) my right armpit used to sweat more than the left. I wondered if it was because my left hand was less effective at putting anti-perspirant on than the right. Someone could do a PhD on dominant armpit sweating - that would be a bundle of fun.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now