Advanced search

TC, and childcare element? is this allowed?

(32 Posts)
altinkum Tue 18-Oct-11 11:40:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

altinkum Tue 18-Oct-11 11:47:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

buttonmoon78 Tue 18-Oct-11 11:51:44

As far as I am aware, the TC people don't ask when your child is in childcare or what you are doing while he is there. Simply that you work and therefore have related childcare costs.

TBH, In your circs I would probably be doing no different. Surely you need some rest in the day if you work nights, therefore paying for childcare in the day is not unreasonable.

And if it is allowed, regardless of everything else - YANBU.

I hope you get a clearer answer from someone who knows soon!

Swankyswishing Tue 18-Oct-11 12:06:19

YANBU, I would do it

OnlyWantsOne Tue 18-Oct-11 12:08:06


I have worked nights before and paid for childcare the next day so I could sleep - and claimed TC

hope things work out for you

altinkum Tue 18-Oct-11 12:12:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nickelbabe Tue 18-Oct-11 12:15:50

you still have to pay for childcare, and it is needed.

altinkum Tue 18-Oct-11 12:18:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheTenantOfWildfellHall Tue 18-Oct-11 12:53:37

It's based on the number of hours worked and the number of parents working.

Have a look at the Do I qualify? website (just google that) for the info required. They only ask what hours are worked, not what those hours are.

EricNorthmansMistress Tue 18-Oct-11 12:57:05

No, as long as you both woth the required hours you can get help with childcare costs.

usingapseudonym Tue 18-Oct-11 13:57:33

Doesn't your income need to be under a certain amount to get the childcare elemet of tax credits?

blondie80 Tue 18-Oct-11 14:03:45

i'm pretty sure your income needs to be basically minimum wage for both of you to get this element of tc.

EricNorthmansMistress Tue 18-Oct-11 16:06:23

No that's not true. WTC is for incomes under £15k but you can get the childcare element of CTC up to around £40k.

sleepevader Tue 18-Oct-11 16:10:44

I thought you needed to work 16 hrs....,,,,,

EricNorthmansMistress Tue 18-Oct-11 16:12:30

Both the parents in the OP's family work.

Peachy Tue 18-Oct-11 16:18:27

We used to do it- it meant DH could sleep anyway, kinda essential to maintaining a job!

We don't have pathfinder here (that I know of anyay and I have three with ASD at different levels)- not in England- but I do think ds4's skills have come on since sending him to preschool. He was also incredibly attacked, still is really- but not to the extent of before, at least someone else can cuddle him (sometimes) now. Which is a huge plus!

CBear6 Tue 18-Oct-11 17:47:09

To qualify you both need to be working a minimum of 16hrs p/wk each, if either of you works less than 16hrs you won't qualify unless you're disabled or otherwise unavailable (e.g., in prison).

If you're both working 16+ hours per week and your income is below the Tax Credits threshold then you should get something, it won't be the full amount because the rate is capped but would be a percentage. Give them a call or check their website, you can get an estimated calculation of what you would be entitled to.

RitaMorgan Tue 18-Oct-11 17:51:20

If you qualify then you can use it to pay for childcare when you aren't working - it just asks if it is a registered provider. I used to take ds to work with me, but use tax credits to pay for childcare on another day while I did a course.

northernrock Tue 18-Oct-11 18:20:38

I am pretty sure you can get WTC if you earn over 15K. Its a sliding scale-the more you earn the less you get, up to about 25 K, I think.

EricNorthmansMistress Tue 18-Oct-11 19:05:25

I'm 99% sure it's 15k...but I could be wrong. CTC without childcare stops around 25k. Childcare element stops around 40k I think.

northernrock Tue 18-Oct-11 19:07:10

Ah, maybe thats what I am thinking then-CTC, not WTC.
I get both cos my earnings are pitiful and I am on my own, so I thought it was more.
I do know that my childcare element went down from 80 per cent to 70 percent recently.

LineRunner Tue 18-Oct-11 19:13:25

northernrock, Eric - I'm on just under £18k at present, and a lone parent, and my WTC stopped sometime last year. Altogether. I've written twice now asking for a sensible explanation. HMRC - ha! <<cynical leer>>

Childcare Tax Credit is available like RotaMorgan says for registered ("qualifying") childcare. You'll need the Ofsted registration number from the provider. I think the 70% maximum claim is harsh. If you are on low wages, then finding 30% of a lot of money is still a lot of money.

Anyway, OP, go for it.

smokinaces Tue 18-Oct-11 19:38:56

WTC is only up to £15k - I'm on just under £10k and get £40 a week or so, but lose something like £10 a week for each £1k I go up in salary until its nothing when earning £15k.

smokinaces Tue 18-Oct-11 19:39:41

But yes, you both need to be working a min of 16hours a week to claim the childcare element, and it needs to be with a regular OFSTED registered provider.

altinkum Tue 18-Oct-11 20:45:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: