Talk

Advanced search

I have just accidentally put my son's homework sheet on the fire.

(34 Posts)
Cathycomehome Mon 17-Oct-11 23:25:05

AIBU to think, "My mum set fire to it?" will not be a believable excuse tomorrow?

TethHearseEnd Mon 17-Oct-11 23:26:56

Have you got a dog?

GoreSplattersHouse Mon 17-Oct-11 23:27:38

grin YANBU, but I bet it's seen as a more creative excuse than most!

bumpybecky Mon 17-Oct-11 23:28:43

oh no! grin

pengymum Mon 17-Oct-11 23:29:36

I am sure they have heard worse! I did something along the same lines with DD1 beautifully drawn treasure map. Aged with tea, I felt it lacked a little something so I set light to the edge thinking charred edges would be the finishing touch! Of course the dratted thing caught fire and was frizzled in 2 secs. DD1 was devastated! At least the teachers were amused...

SecretNutellaFix Mon 17-Oct-11 23:29:48

well, at least that will be a new one on the teacher grin

There are no charred remains to produce?

worraliberty Mon 17-Oct-11 23:29:51

TethHearse I don't think she should set alight to the dog too shock

backwardpossom Mon 17-Oct-11 23:30:34

Write the teacher a grovelling note... I'm sure it'll be fine!

I had a pupil try the 'my dog ate my homework' excuse. He showed me the homework sheet that the non-existent dog had apparently eaten. Bless him, going to the effort of ripping the sheet up.

BertieBotts Mon 17-Oct-11 23:30:42

Oops! Send him with a note, it'll be fine.

I bet he'll be gutted if he's done it though! If he hasn't, he'll probably say thanks grin

Cathycomehome Mon 17-Oct-11 23:32:49

grin Thing is, he will probably get a detention or some such, so I am going to have to ring the bloody receptionist and say, "Hi, it's kittencomehome's mum - I inadvertently set his homework alight last night, sorry about that" blush

EdithWeston Mon 17-Oct-11 23:33:25

How old is DS? And what's his past form on homework diligence?

If you can, drop in and tell the teacher yourself (wonder if they'll keep a straight face?)

Bogeymanface Mon 17-Oct-11 23:34:32

I chucked DD's homework into the recycling bag on the morning it was taken once! I ended up writing a note explaining to the teacher that she had done it but I had thrown it away and he was welcome to call me at home to confirm if needed. She said that he laughed and was ok about it, he never did call me!

GrimmaTheNome Mon 17-Oct-11 23:35:21

Whoops. Yes, you'll need to write an embarrassed note.

I once ironed a badly crumpled sheet - was still usable but not really improved!

Cathycomehome Mon 17-Oct-11 23:36:55

First year secondary school - and they already think I'm insane. I rang up to speak to his tutor from work, and someone else was talking to me at the same time so, distracted, I said "Oh, hi it's Joe Blogg's mum in Y7 - Oh, no sorry, it's not, it's kittencomehome's mum..."

Cathycomehome Mon 17-Oct-11 23:39:32

"Joe Bloggs" and "kittencomehome" are not the ACTUAL names I used, I should point out...

troisgarcons Mon 17-Oct-11 23:40:15

How does your son feel about you carelessly destroying his time and effort? Sod the teachers in this equation.

Cathycomehome Mon 17-Oct-11 23:42:20

Oh dear. Now I feel sad as well as bad. Although since he did this one with no adult supervision, and knowing my son, it is possible I have done him a favour.

GrimmaTheNome Mon 17-Oct-11 23:48:02

Ah,but why was it lying around - if he'd put it away somewhere sensible like his schoolbag you wouldn't have tidied it up into the flames.

Cathycomehome Mon 17-Oct-11 23:52:55

Aha! Exactly Grimma! tries to justify careless homework burning frantically. Also burnt a load of other paper that partner had left lying around on table, so do hope that wasn't some OTHER childrens' homework!! shock

FlyingPirates Mon 17-Oct-11 23:54:39

I cant believe no one has asked you HOW you did it...

GoreSplattersHouse Mon 17-Oct-11 23:59:02

Try telling the school you were trying to teach DC about the re-use of things, a green lesson that went wrong. They may look more kindly on you grin

Cathycomehome Tue 18-Oct-11 00:00:27

Well, because they had left the table covered in paper and mess, and my house is for once relatively tidy, ie, not quite we're- going - to - make - a - documentary - about- this - slattern standard, so, as I had a nice fire going, I decided to shove the paper on top. Only noticed the homework as it caught nicely. I am now going to admit that, with the horrific thought that I did in fact just also burn some other childrens' homework, I have poked about in the embers, and am relieved to note that I only burnt unimportant things belonging to partner.

Bogeymanface Tue 18-Oct-11 00:13:49

Yep, embarrassed note is definitely the way to go on this one! But make sure you say that the teacher can call you if they want to, so that your DC doesnt get accused of forging a letter!

CaptainNancy Tue 18-Oct-11 00:17:17

Take a bow, Sheila! wink

Cathycomehome Tue 18-Oct-11 00:22:26

They would never think a note from my son was from me. I have decent handwriting, and occasionally punctuate....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now