Talk

Advanced search

To expect to be able to get through an automated phone service in less than 5 minutes?

(9 Posts)
TheDetective Mon 17-Oct-11 23:12:04

Today I rang Virgin Media - internet has gone down on both computers, and I can connect to neighbours internet, so I know its a VM problem. It took me 5 minutes just to get through the 'Press 1 if you are thick. Press 2 if you don't know your own name. Press 3 if you want to be patronised and belittled. Press 4 if you want us to cut you off. Press 5 to speak to 'Keith' in Mumbai... yada yada.

AIBU to think this is an absurdly long time, and waste of my money to ring these companies and spend so long just to get through the automated service, let alone the time spent on hold for an operator.

I can count on one finger the number of times I have found the information I have needed by listening to the automated service...!

mich54321 Tue 18-Oct-11 09:31:47

YANBU. I spent over 24 minutes waiting for my gas supplier to answer the phone listening to some sort of music trying to keep me calm whilst my blood pressure rose ! Hope 0800 numbers are free and I didn't pay for the priviledge of hanging on to correct their mistake.

Fixture Tue 18-Oct-11 09:53:37

YANBU

ChuffMuffin Tue 18-Oct-11 10:50:47

YANBU.

Press ** (star star) on the keypad next time you get through to an automated telephone service. It should put you straight through to the switchboard or customer services. I do it to Nationwide all the time and get straight through.

grin

ChuffMuffin Tue 18-Oct-11 10:52:06

I must add I do it to Nationwide because their system doesn't recognise my details, not because I think I'm too good to wait!!

ScaredBear Tue 18-Oct-11 10:58:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tanif Tue 18-Oct-11 11:01:34

YANBU

Although the fun doesn't end when you eventually get to speak to Keith in Mumbai. DP called to enquire about us having a Virgin telephone line installed, when Keith answered, he asked what our account number was. DP informed him we don't have an account.

Keith then asked again for the account number. DP once again informed him we don't have an account.

Keith then asked for DP's postcode, house number and surname. DP provided him with these. Keith then, in a voice of utter bewilderment, whimpered 'I can't seem to find your account on the system....'

Bless them and their must-never-deviate script.

whackamole Tue 18-Oct-11 11:13:26

I must admit, Virgin Media take the biscuit in the offshore centres. I know people get annoyed with them, but genuinely I have never had a problem with other offshore centres other than Virgin!

I once called as for 8 weeks we had no BBC channels (including Cbeebies. Was hell) and asked them if they had found out the problem. An engineer had previously come out, fiddled about with the box a bit and said it should reset in 48 hours. 3 weeks later, still not working, so when I called to ask about it the guy on the phone clearly had not clue and instead of just saying he didn't know and he'd find out, he hung up on me!

januaryjojo Tue 18-Oct-11 11:17:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now