Talk

Advanced search

To want 2 teachers doing a job share to both be at Parent's Evening?

(146 Posts)
Loopymumsy Mon 17-Oct-11 21:01:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lakeofshiningwaters Mon 17-Oct-11 21:05:59

YANBU to want this, but YABU to expect it.

Some job share partners split parents evenings, some don't. I've done it both ways when working as a job share.

Some parents prefer both there, some find it too much.

So you'll just have to live with whatever the school does.

Limejelly Mon 17-Oct-11 21:06:15

It's the it's the ideal, but not always possible. You can't be made to work if it is not your day, same as any other job.

SE13Mummy Mon 17-Oct-11 21:06:21

That depends on whether or not the parents' evening was scheduled on one teacher's day off! If it's a day that the teacher isn't employed to work then you can't expect him/her to be present. Quite apart from anything else s/he may have a second job that requires his/her attendance on that day.

However, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect to know in advance which teacher/s will be present at parents' evening.

Euphemia Mon 17-Oct-11 21:06:49

If it was held on a day when one of them does not normally work, then yes YABU.

If you need to see the other teacher, make an appointment.

handsomeharry Mon 17-Oct-11 21:06:56

As the teachers are job shares I presume they are both part time. As a result they are not required to do all of the parents' evenings.

It makes sense then to split the parents' evenings up so each do an equal or percentage share.

Not a naive expectation though.

Littlefish Mon 17-Oct-11 21:07:07

I've been part of 3 job share teams in the last 6 years. in each case, we both attended parents evenings together. I consider it to be part of my professional responsibility.

herbietea Mon 17-Oct-11 21:07:12

Message withdrawn

purpleturtletoise Mon 17-Oct-11 21:07:36

Hmmm. I suppose if it's not 'their' day, then they're not expected in for it. I'm afraid I can't remember what happened when DD was in a job-share class in reception.

However, at her Y6 parents' evening tonight, the teacher she has for maths had prepared a little report for her class teacher to read to us about her progress and her targets. If there were concerns I'm pretty sure the maths teacher would have been happy to see us too.

Limejelly Mon 17-Oct-11 21:08:15

Sorry for making no sense! It's been a long day (brain dead after parents evening).

Hulababy Mon 17-Oct-11 21:10:39

YABU to expect it. PT teachers do not have to work on their day off. They need to do their PT allocation of them on the days they work.

Some parents don't like two teachers being present - it feels too much for them.

If they are doing a job share then communication is key. If that is the case the teacher present should have all the relevant information anyway.

When I was teaching pt I tried to make as many parent's evenings as I could. But sometimes, if it was on my day off, it wasn't always possible as I didn't have childcare in place for those days and it was far more difficult to organise.

There is no requirement for pt teachers to attend for then their allocated amount.

teacherwith2kids Mon 17-Oct-11 21:11:17

I work as the (majority) part of a jobshare - slightly odd shape in that I work on every day but not for all of every day.

We always both do parents' evenings, despite the fact that for both I do not normally work on those afternoons so will stay in school all day to be present for the evening (too far to commute both ways).

It would never occur to us not to both attend the meetings - it seems to me to be part of the job.

Fourthdimensionallizard Mon 17-Oct-11 21:11:22

Loopymumsy Mon 17-Oct-11 21:13:52

BoattoBolivia Mon 17-Oct-11 21:14:57

Yanbu to want it but unreasonable to be cross if it doesn't happen. When I was a job share, I had childcare commitments on the days I didn't work, including taking my daughter to her swimming lessons. If my dh could get home early, I might have made it to the later sessions, but couldn't always guarantee it. We did try to both be there, but we were part time for a reason, and communicated with each other pretty well.

cat64 Mon 17-Oct-11 21:20:53

Message withdrawn

NorfolkBroad Mon 17-Oct-11 21:21:25

Another teacher here, been jobsharing for 9 years and always done parents evenings with my jobshare partner. I always expected this as part of my job. No YANBU.

teacherwith2kids Mon 17-Oct-11 21:51:19

The thing is, in any jobshare, there will be subjects that one half of the partnership tends to teach more of, and others that the other teacher teaches more of (certainly in my case, because of the slightly strange hours, there are subjects I never teach and subjects that my partner never teaches). Therefore to give the same full picture of a child that a full-time teacher could give, both of us are needed, however good the communication between us might be.

teacherwith2kids Mon 17-Oct-11 21:55:19

I do think the 'childcare' reason not to be there is somewhat 'feeble'.

It is very likely that the parent sitting opposite you has had to do some mad juggling of children, partners, activities, school and activity pickups to be there for the parents' evening. It seems to me entirely reasonable (and for PE week this term I will have to get my 75 year old mum to travel the 200 miles to come to stay for several days to look after my children, but I still think it an entirely reasonable expectation of me - equally attending my own children's parents' evening involved arranging for someone else to do an after school club for me, picking up children from here there and everywhere, missing an after school activity and feeding everyone in 20 minutes' flat!) for parents to expect the same from the teachers.

Adversecamber Mon 17-Oct-11 22:00:40

Ellefabulosa Mon 17-Oct-11 22:04:27

I think yabu - job sharers should be effective at sharing information between the two of them so that one is sufficient to relay how your child is doing

BornToBeRiled Mon 17-Oct-11 22:04:35

Yes if the teacher works on that day, or full time. Not if they don't and have a job share partner. They have taken a drop in pay, so should do a percentage of the OR. There are financial costs to coming in such as petrol, childcare.

ilovesooty Mon 17-Oct-11 22:05:56

Someone I know who works 0.7 goes to PE on her day off - the school pays her to do so. If the school feels both teachers need to be there that's what they should do - but you can't reasonably expect someone to attend on a day they don't work.

WoodBetweenTheWorlds Mon 17-Oct-11 22:10:39

DD's class has two teachers who job share - one does mon-thurs and the other does Fridays. Parents evenings are always on tuesdays and Wednesdays so I just assumed that we would only see the "main" teacher, but actually they did it together. Apparently all the job share partners do it at our school.

BoattoBolivia Mon 17-Oct-11 22:13:10

As I said, I would always try, but sometimes it is just not possible, and I don't feel I have to justify my homelife to the parents. Before people judge the teacher, stop and remind yourself that you have no idea what goes on in their life outside the classroom. I come in out of my own goodwill because I know the parents like to see both of us, but I don't get paid for the extra hours on my non-working days and won't stress my family for it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now