Talk

Advanced search

to be angry with nursery

(54 Posts)
tibywibs Mon 17-Oct-11 20:23:10

So i'm on my way to collect my daughter from nursery and I saw some of the children and staff walking down the street. (not unusual, they often go for walks) when i get there i find my daughter on sat on a nursery nurses knee, crying. It turns out that ALL of the children who attended nursery on friday had gone out to the fair. As my dd was doing half a day, she was left behind in a room full of sleeping babies. They say they tried to phone me to say she'd be in the baby room but they obviously don't have the right number (i changed my number last year and they have called me on it since.)
i am so upset that they either didn't wait 5 mins until i collected her or asked me to come early or even offered to take her if i paid the extra fees.
she was sobbing and all weekend she has told me that her friends left her. I want to let them know how disappointed i am that an establishment that is supposed to care for children could be so insensitive.
Am i being pathetic??

RebelFromTheWaistDown Mon 17-Oct-11 20:26:37

Never mind

tibywibs Mon 17-Oct-11 20:28:13

so how would you handle the situation rftwd?

squeakytoy Mon 17-Oct-11 20:30:01

As my dd was doing half a day, she was left behind in a room full of sleeping babies.

to be fair, she hadnt been left behind for very long...

Dirtydishesmakemesad Mon 17-Oct-11 20:30:31

I think you are being a little bit oversensitive. My dcs did half days and ths does happen. Children who are there all day need to have the day planned around them tbh.

WhoWhoWhoWho Mon 17-Oct-11 20:30:49

Perhaps they are full on the half day she doesn't attend and therefore couldn't offer the option of her doing a full day and going along?

Why didn't you take her along to go on a ride or two after nursery? I'm assuming this was an option as you say you would have paid the extra nursery fees.

If she is old enough to understand then explain how she did/can do something else nice and that there will be other trips. If she is too young for explanations then surely she could have been distracted?

academyblues Mon 17-Oct-11 20:31:12

It sounds ill-planned by the nursery. I would ask to speak to the manager and express your concerns about the way this situation was handled and say that you'd like to be informed about any trips or treats in future so that you could opt to pay for your child to be included.

FunnyHaHaPeculiar Mon 17-Oct-11 20:31:15

she was only left for five minutes, hardly traumatic

NickNacks Mon 17-Oct-11 20:31:35

YABU

She'll get over it but not if you turn it into a drama.

academyblues Mon 17-Oct-11 20:32:06

Tbh, I'd actually be more concerned about them not using the correct phone number though.

RebelFromTheWaistDown Mon 17-Oct-11 20:34:01

OP 'never mind' is what I would say to the little girl. It's the answer I give to my DDs whenever they are pissed off about small things.

thisisyesterday Mon 17-Oct-11 20:34:19

it's annoying that they didn't tell you in advance, and concerning that they couldn't get hold of you.
that's what I would be cross about.

the other stuff? not so much. maybe they HAD to leave at a certain time. they can't all sit around waiting.. what if you had been late? they went when they had planned to go, and that is fine IMO.

when you're at nursery part time you do miss out on some of the stuff, and it's unfortunate that in this case your daughter knew that she was missing it... but I don't think it's anything worth complaining about tbh

cjbartlett Mon 17-Oct-11 20:34:33

I'd be very surprised if she'd mentioned it all weekend
Children tend to forget very quickly
How old is she?

tibywibs Mon 17-Oct-11 20:36:51

she is just 3, and we did go to the fair later on that day. it wasn't the point of going to the fair though. one nursery nurse said she sounded heart broken when the rest of the children waved bye out of the window!!

And maybe its not traumatic to be left for 5 minutes. but it would have been less traumatic for my daughter if they could have waited the 5 mins and not left one child out

ChippingInToThePumpkinLantern Mon 17-Oct-11 20:38:55

She was left there for all of 5 minutes. Really, in the nicest possible way, you need to get a grip. Why should a whole nursery wait until you pick DD up before they go out? There was no reason for DD to be that upset if it was handled better.

However, they could have told you this was happening and if they had the capacity to take another one, ask you if she would like to go (if you paid for the other half a day).

The only thing I would do is to say to them that if any other things like this come up you would like to be informed & given the choice for her to attend if it's possible.

thisisyesterday Mon 17-Oct-11 20:39:06

yeah they coulkd have done it a bit more sensitively

made a big deal about her going to do an activity in another room, then taken the rest of the kids out WITHOUT waving through the window at her, and then just waited til you came to get her

cazzybabs Mon 17-Oct-11 20:40:32

sorry think you are over reacting!

thefirstMrsDeVeerie Mon 17-Oct-11 20:43:47

I can see that you are upset but it is really not a big deal.

Please dont make it into one.

I do mean that in a kind way even if it doesnt come across that way.

RitaMorgan Mon 17-Oct-11 20:44:04

You couldn't really expect her whole class to hang around waiting for you, could you?

She was going home early, so couldn't go out with everyone else in the afternoon. Don't see the huge problem really.

chicletteeth Mon 17-Oct-11 20:45:17

So, you want them to plan to, dress and toilet appropriately etc.. the rest of the children who went, to placate, one child; your daughter?

HELLO!!!!

If they had all those children there and ready to go, but you weren't there, would you actually expect them to have to manage those other little kids and wait around just for you?

Get a Grip!

Also, get your phone number lark sorted! Far worse in my opinion.

chicletteeth Mon 17-Oct-11 20:46:29

Busted keyboard and too many commas in the first sentence

babyheavingmassofmaggots Mon 17-Oct-11 20:46:40

/ \
/ \
/WW\
/ \
/ \
/ \
/ \
/ \
/ \ /\
/____________\ out of a /_ \

Fixture Mon 17-Oct-11 20:46:45

YANBU

catsareevil Mon 17-Oct-11 20:46:57

It does sound unusual for a 3 year old to be so upset by something like that that they would cry about it for the weekend, they would usually forget about something like that more quickly.

I dont think that they nursery did anything wrong (apart from using the wrong phone number, though even that was a call they didnt really need to make, as she wasnt leaving the nursery).

babyheavingmassofmaggots Mon 17-Oct-11 20:47:42

Oh arse. All that time doing pretty graphics and I lose it when it posts.

Arsebiscuit.

You're making a mountain out of a molehill.

<grumps>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now