Talk

Advanced search

To want an nhs dentist?

(10 Posts)
WitchesBroomForMyChin Mon 17-Oct-11 20:08:51

I have only been to a dentist once in my life when I was 5. Have been trying to get an nhs dentist for most of my adult life but always seem to be on a waiting list because of frequent moving. Last time I rang an nhs dentist that had places I was told they could only put me on the books if they had an appointment available that week and I should ring every Monday to see if they have any free. I know you can go to the hospital for emergency appointments but it's not an emergency, I don't have toothache I just want a check up as I'm sure there must be something wrong with my teeth by now.

Should I give in and go private? Is it a lot more expensive?

Uglymush Mon 17-Oct-11 20:11:29

In our area you apply to a central office and they allocate on a first come first served basis. Are you following the correct procedure for applying? Try writing to the practice managers and see if they can help you.

pigletmania Mon 17-Oct-11 20:14:19

I have a lovely NHS dentist in Milton Keynes, was reading the local rag, and an advert came up for the dentist just down the road, that they were taking NHS patients, so I went there made and appointment and I am on their books as an NHS patient.

WitchesBroomForMyChin Mon 17-Oct-11 20:16:15

When I moved to this area 2 years ago I filled in a form I got from the doctors to join a list. Haven't heard anything since. I then saw an advert at the doctors for a number you can text and they will then send you test with the names of dentists with free spaces. Out of 4 texts only 1 dentist had spaces and they wanted me to ring every Monday. Sigh.

Happymm Mon 17-Oct-11 20:19:46

Look on NHS website, under Dentists-they'll have a list of them in your area.

Good luck. I had a check up last wk, no NHS available near me-£70 lighter! Teeth fine too - not sure whether to be smile or sad

AKissIsNotAContract Mon 17-Oct-11 20:20:56

An NHS check up will cost you £17. Depending on where you live it may not be much more than that to go private.

Kayano Mon 17-Oct-11 21:55:47

I have never ever had to go on a waiting list for an NHS dentist. There seem to be loads where I live

Sirzy Mon 17-Oct-11 21:58:04

We are lucky that a local dentist has a scheme whereby they will accept any children and there family who live in the town!

zipzap Mon 17-Oct-11 23:16:35

Ooh piglet can I be cheeky and ask which dentist you use if you have a good one in Mk? I live here too and when we moved here there were no Nhs vacancies so I saw a private one but have been very unhappy with them. I need to go and have been putting it off as I just can't face going back to these people but am scared of just randomly picking one after the bad experiences last time I did that...

Sorry op for the hijack!

catsareevil Mon 17-Oct-11 23:19:05

I pay £40 for a private check-up. I wouldnt want to go back to NHS dentistry due to the greater range of treatment available privately (and the amount of time taken on procedures).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now