Talk

Advanced search

to think Drs shouldn't chew gum in front of patients

(7 Posts)
PicaK Mon 17-Oct-11 19:18:15

I recently miscarried - I'm probably going through an "anger" stage but it cheesed me off at the time and still bugs me so I don't know if I'm over reacting.

The Dr discussing with me what to do next (after 4 days in hospital bleeding and the most recent scan showing baby's heartbeat had gone) chewed gum the whole time he talked to me.

All I could think was "if you lost someone you loved, would you want the undertaker chomping away whilst you discussed how to dispose of the body?

I really did have excellent medical care - so aibu to resent this?

Sirzy Mon 17-Oct-11 19:19:56

I hate chewing gum at all so would probably find it very strange that someone performing such an important job was chewing. However, I don't think it would be something I would see as a big issue

MissPenteuth Mon 17-Oct-11 19:20:20

sad Pica, I hope you're being looked after.

I agree that it's not very professional to chew gum, especially in such a sesitive situation.

ScaredBear Mon 17-Oct-11 19:21:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ihavewelliesbutitssunny Mon 17-Oct-11 19:22:27

No they shouldn't its unpolite, really not professional. Its also not very healthy esp for jaws so I never understand why drs do it.

catsareevil Mon 17-Oct-11 19:31:27

I dont think that it is appropriate for a health professional to be chewing gum when speaking to a patient.
I dont think that you are over-reacting. Are you going to send a written complaint?

renaldo Mon 17-Oct-11 20:08:49

Maybe it was nicotine gum?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now