Talk

Advanced search

to think that this was a little inconsiderate

(15 Posts)
ZonkedOut Mon 17-Oct-11 17:49:53

We went to a small cafe attached to an "attraction". There were 7 of us, 3 adults, 3 toddlers and a baby. We were the second family there. The first family were 2 children, a mother and grandmother. Grandmother sat with the kids while mother ordered, she actually ordered after us, but they sat down before us.

It is a small cafe with around 12 tables, most of which were tables for 4 people, one is a round table for 5, and one is a big table in the middle for 10. Guess which table this family used?

So while the 3 of them waited for the mother to order, we sat at the round table, moved chairs around to add an extra chair and highchair, which didn't really fit comfortably.

On top of that, they parked a buggy in such a way that it blocked easy access to our table - when the lady brought us our food, she had to walk along one side of the big table and back the other.

Oh, and after a short and not unreasonable wait for freshly cooked food, the grandmother started singing, "Why are we waiting" under her breath.

I know it's not a big deal in the scheme of things, but AIBU for thinking these people were inconsiderate not to sit at any of the 10 tables that could have sat their party, but instead sat at the only one that we could have comfortably sat at? And would any of you asked them to move (considering they hadn't got food when we sat down), or even sat at the same table as them using the remaining 6 seats, to make a point?

mousesma Mon 17-Oct-11 18:11:34

Yes they were a bit inconsiderate and shouldn't have taken the 10 seat table if they didn't need it. I think I would have asked nicely if they minded using one of the other tables. I wouldn't have sat at the table to make a point as what would be point of creating an atmosphere.
As you said yourself it isn't a big deal and it's just one of those things you have to shrug off and not let ruin your day.

Angel786 Mon 17-Oct-11 19:20:03

No harm in sitting at the same tAble. It's a bit annoying but like mousema said, not worth getting het up about.

noseybitch Mon 17-Oct-11 19:25:23

YANBU, but I wouldn't have talked to them as they were probs too uncivilised to respond politely. I would just have moved 2 tables together, and made a lot of noise doing so!

ZonkedOut Mon 17-Oct-11 20:48:16

The layout wasn't conducive to moving 2 tables together easily, but we weren't quiet about moving the chairs around.

We didn't let it spoil our day of course, we were all just a bit bemused that anyone would do that, really.

Oggy Mon 17-Oct-11 22:38:47

I don't understand why people need to be so passive aggressive. You could have asked the other family to swap, it would have been easy if neither of the parties were eating yet. If they replied rudely and/or refused then sure, you are the bigger person and loudly move tables together in a huff, but to do so without even asking? You never know, they might have let you have the big table.

I dunno, perhaps I am just forward.

MilyP Mon 17-Oct-11 23:11:17

I would have just asked politely if they would move. If they wouldn't then I would think they were rude and inconsiderate. But without asking I am not sure you can say that. They were probably just more interested in their own lunch and the kids with them to notice your group or think through that they were taking the only decent table where you could sit.

worraliberty Mon 17-Oct-11 23:17:12

I would have tutted and then instantly forgot this whole thing...I mean really not given it another thought...probably ever again in my whole life!

Maybe they let the kids choose the table?

If it was a restaurant and you'd all gone out for the evening...you know to make a night of it then fair enough.

But you're just grabbing a bite to eat in the cafe at an attraction.

SaffronCake Mon 17-Oct-11 23:49:09

Some people are plain twatty, they were BU not you, but what can you do. Don't let it bother you.

ruddynorah Tue 18-Oct-11 00:00:46

I'd have cheerily said 'ooh you don't mind sharing do you?!' and plonked my stuff down.

youngermother1 Tue 18-Oct-11 00:19:16

but would anyone sit at a table bigger than your party if one the same size was available - ie regardless of the other occupants, would you have sat a party of 4 at the 10 table?

Birdsgottafly Tue 18-Oct-11 00:29:14

You should have just asked her to move and when she wouldn't sat the toddlers down at her table, that would have shifted her.

idlevice Tue 18-Oct-11 00:42:37

Have you not heard the saying "Hell is other people"? Every day I find this seems more & more apt. A lot of people are oblivious to their surroundings & fellow humans, esp the case with everyone now immersed in their smartphones etc Best just to stay in & make your own entertainment!

MsTownmouse Tue 18-Oct-11 00:59:31

YANBU - just , others have said , relax and be grateful you are a bit annoyed and not a completel inconsiderate person. That incident will pass into history for you - they have to live with being the kind of people they are. Who has the better deal. Let it go .

ZonkedOut Tue 18-Oct-11 06:47:15

The passive aggressive thing is, I think, a very British thing. If someone queue jumps for example, they will probably get a few tuts, and a few people telling each other how rude it is to queue jump, but rarely will someone actually tell them to their face to get to the back of the line.

And worraliberty maybe they did just plonk down or let their kids decide, but that's partly the point, isn't it? They didn't think. When I went there before, and there were 4 of us and a baby, the same big table was free, but we sat at a table for 4 with the highchair at the end, and deliberately chose one in the corner out of the way so that said highchair and the buggy wouldn't be in anyone's way. Because we were being considerate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now