Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to pitch a tent in the estate agents office?

(11 Posts)
MistressFrankly Mon 17-Oct-11 13:33:16

I am sooo sooo sick of being pipped to the post by psychic bloody househunters!!! I just want a house, flat or shed to rent and to make a home for me and dd. If i hear "oh its just this minute gone" again i will SCREAM. And quite possibly have a tantrum. ARGGGGH Sorry rant over sad

Am staying on my friends sofa and i am getting more than a little bit ratty.

Chulita Mon 17-Oct-11 13:40:27

I'm about to put our lovely house on the rental market if you live in north wales...

YANBU btw, staying on someone else's sofa is hard work for everyone. Hope you find somewhere soon!

squeakytoy Mon 17-Oct-11 13:41:37

Word of mouth works well... if you have facebook, put it on your status.. someone usually knows of someone else who is about to move...

duvetdayplease Mon 17-Oct-11 13:42:57

YANBU, its the only way at the moment. Houses aren't selling but boy are they renting out fast!

I'm quite interested to know where in NWales....

duvetdayplease Mon 17-Oct-11 13:44:37

Agree with Squeakytoy - its a bit like finding a job, the best houses never get advertised so word of mouth. Shamelessly tell everyone you're looking, tell anyone you know who is renting that you would be interested in their house if they move etc. Something will come up eventually!

Bennifer Mon 17-Oct-11 14:18:51

One of my many problems I find with letting agents is that you have to pay them for a service (all the admin charges that can add up to several hundred pounds) but they don’t seem to consider you as a customer – their landlord is the customer. For that money, I would expect to be given a phone call as soon as something comes up, etc, having taken your details. However most of them seem to say “keep an eye on the website”. But as a renter you have no choice

DuchessofMalfi Mon 17-Oct-11 14:30:02

Nothing seems to be shifting in our part of the S.West - neither sales nor rental properties. All the same stuff has been on Rightmove for over a year. We're trying to sell our house, but have only had one viewing since putting it on the market. It isn't the price that's putting people off, there just don't seem to be any people around who want to move here. Can't think why - it's a nice area, and we only want to out of town to a nearby village. Our neighbours are trying to rent their house out, but no luck yet.

AKMD Mon 17-Oct-11 14:35:08

DH used to work for a lettings agent. None of the 'best' houses ever went onto the website because they were snapped up by us people who phoned all the time to ask what was new. A couple of friends queued outside another agent's office before they opened in the morning to put down a deposit on a house they'd seen the day before, only to find that someone else had seen it and paid on the spot. Decent stuff moves very, very fast.

AKMD Mon 17-Oct-11 14:35:22

Where we live anyway!

MistressFrankly Mon 17-Oct-11 15:31:12

Yeah am ringing them every day, i think they now consider me a stalker and am considering making me and dd sandwich boards for when we walk round town grin

Oh and in case any of you know of anything i am the Whalley Range/Chorlton area of manchester smile

SingleMan25b Mon 17-Oct-11 19:15:46

Maybe these rentals never were for rent - but are just in the shop window to draw in business?

The same often happens with jobs advertised in agency windows.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now