Talk

Advanced search

to think it's inconvenient that Toys R Us do not allow carrier bags in store?

(48 Posts)
SquishyCinnamonSwirls Mon 17-Oct-11 12:58:38

There I was, merrily pottering about in town picking up a few bits and pieces for my dd's Birthday at the end of the month. Had been into TKMaxx (was carrying handbag and a carrier bag) and went into Toys R Us to get roller boots for her.
I was stopped at the door and told that they do not allow carrier bags in store and could I leave it with an assistant at the desk?
I replied that I no I could not, if that's the case I will do my shopping elsewhere. I do not need some assistant rifling through my shopping!
Note that I didn't see anyone else being stopped or handing over their shopping.
I was actually looking quite presentable as well!

Methe Mon 17-Oct-11 13:00:27

I have never heard of that but i'd to the same as you and leave to do my shopping elsewhere.

worraliberty Mon 17-Oct-11 13:00:56

That's a weird rule...they're not like that in my local TRU? confused

Pmsl at the thought of them 'rifling through your shopping'!

cantspel Mon 17-Oct-11 13:02:03

Dont blame the store, blame the shoplifters who make stores need policies like this.

minimisschief Mon 17-Oct-11 13:02:57

Are you sure they actually worked there. Sounds like some sort of scam tbh. Never seen tru do this

MarginallyNarkyPuffin Mon 17-Oct-11 13:03:34

They've had trouble recently with people coming in with large carrier bags to shoplift?

ThePumpkinKing Mon 17-Oct-11 13:04:07

Ours has signs up asking you not to bring bags in. I think the signs are part of a nationwide thing, as most branches are out of town, so they expect you to leave stuff in your car boot.

Ours is city-centre though, so they don't bother enforcing it.

Mammonite Mon 17-Oct-11 13:04:30

I suspect the amount of shoplifting that Toys R Us suffer from is pretty inconvenient to them as well.

Funny that it's OK that you assume that the assistants are nosy thieves who will rifle through your shopping, but you blame the shop for thinking the worst of you as well.

Our branch has had this rule for years, must be to do with our area!

VivaLeBeaver Mon 17-Oct-11 13:05:06

It's like that at my local one, has been since it opened. You hand your bags over and get a token and then get them back when you leave. They insisted I leave my handbag with the once, well tried to insist. I left and haven't been back, that was six years ago.

MarginallyNarkyPuffin Mon 17-Oct-11 13:06:36

I have seen a shop that had a very relaxed attitude to taking clothes to try on go ultra strict about it in response to shoplifters targeting the shopping centre. All the shops agreed a policy and stuck to it. A few months later they were back to their usual policy as the problem had been dealt with.

SquishyCinnamonSwirls Mon 17-Oct-11 13:08:57

Well, they were in uniform with name tags etc so yes I assume they worked there.
No signs were evident. Just a very abrupt staff member.

I do not assume that they are thieves (nosy perhaps!), but I am not happy to leave my shopping with someone I do not know or trust. If they had provided lockers and their policy was clearly displayed and it was a policy that included all shoppers then that's a different matter entirely.

CrystalQueen Mon 17-Oct-11 13:09:15

It's like this at our local shop. I hate the implication that all its customers are thieves. The only way out is through the checkout lane, which can be a bit awkward. Perhaps if they employed more staff (thus preventing shoplifting AND increasing the chance of being able to find someone to help customers) the shop would be more welcoming and I might actually want to shop there. YANBU.

Daughteroflilith Mon 17-Oct-11 13:12:11

Sounds bizarre! Surely when it gets to busy periods like Christmas they will be swamped with carrier bags all from the same shops, and unless they have some sort of cloakroom system in place, chaos will ensue?

Or maybe they think that if they are the only shop to insist on this, people will stop there first, before they spend their money elsewhere? grin

MuddlingMackem Mon 17-Oct-11 13:13:34

YANBU.

I know that the local TRU used to have signs up about this, don't know if it still does. Now that we have a car we're not usually carting loads of shopping in with us if we go into the shop, but I know that we did get stopped a couple of times when we used to bus it everywhere. I think I only left them once and I only sort of remember because we had to wait ages for a sales assistant to be available to get them back and then had to wait ages for the next bus. Don't think I ever handed them in after that.

catsareevil Mon 17-Oct-11 13:14:52

My local Toys-r-us is like that too. If they want to have rules like that (and a filthy shop hmm) its up to them .
The fact that this strongly contributes to me not wanting to ever shop in there is up to me grin.

Peachy Mon 17-Oct-11 13:15:45

NatashaBee Mon 17-Oct-11 13:18:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ours has a sign up telling people the same thing.

It is in one of those out of town outlets, but the car park is massive and there's no way I would want to walk all the way back to the car to hide my bags and risk a break-in just so I could then walk back to the living hell that is Toys R Us to buy some overpriced item I would almost certainly be returning with the following day (because there's usually something wrong with everything we've ever bought from them).

startail Mon 17-Oct-11 13:23:25

Our TRU has a sign, so I generally leave stuff in the car, but I've never been challenged when I haven't.
Hateful place, long queues, extremely thick staff and very few of them. And tills that miss charge you and claim you've paid with a depot card you've never owned.
Unfortunately all our other toy shops have shut so it's them or the Web.

DesperatelySeekingSedatives Mon 17-Oct-11 13:25:23

I used to work for Toys R Us. I hated it when it was my turn to approach people and get them to hand in their bags sad They used to get so arsey about it which is understandable imo, but honestly, I'd rather have been doing anything else than asking a total stranger to hand me their shopping to look after.

I never, ever looked through anyone's bags except for the time I was accused of nicking a camera someone had bought in another shop and my collegue and I frantically searched everywhere for it until it turned out the guy was trying blag some kind of compensation and hadn't lost anything angry

hayleysd Mon 17-Oct-11 13:26:42

There's a sign on our local ones but they're at out of town shopping places where you would more than likely have your car so we just drop stuff off there before going in.

AKMD Mon 17-Oct-11 13:29:32

YANBU. Our TRU is out-of-town so it isn't really a problem there but trying to enforce that in a shopping centre is a bit mad.

FetchezLaVampire Mon 17-Oct-11 13:31:40

I can understand it in the out-of-town ones, but it seems ridiculous in town centres! There's no way I'd leave my bags with anyone, I'd certainly be flouncing. Why don't they just provide lockers?

PorkChopSter Mon 17-Oct-11 13:32:06

Is that you, Netty?

switchtvoffdosomelessboring Mon 17-Oct-11 13:32:45

That, and the general dirtiness of the shop is why I'd rather shop online or argos.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now