Talk

Advanced search

To not buy them presents any more?

(7 Posts)
Moulesfrites Mon 17-Oct-11 09:52:06

We have a bit of a strained relationship with my bil and sil, due to them being generally twattish. However, I have never once missed a bday or other occasion for them. They always get a bday present and card, Xmas presents, anniversary card, and they have 2 dds who always get presents too. I put a lot of effort in trying to get the right gift (for everyone in my family, not them particularly) but we rarely get a word of thanks and the gifts are never reciprocated. It was dh's bday this week and he didn't even get a text from his brother.

To top it all off, they were due to get their dds christened next weekend and we did them a plate at one of those ceramic places with their names on and the date of the christening. They text last night to say it is off, no explanation given, so plate is now redundant. would it be unreasonable to stop buying them gifts, or just to buy for their dds? Nd what would you do with the plate?

Everlong Mon 17-Oct-11 09:56:03

They sound ignorant and selfish.

If it were me I would only buy for their dds. Birthday and Christmas.

I would send them the plate, might make them reconsider their behaviour!

Everlong Mon 17-Oct-11 09:56:55

Yanbu btw!

Dawndonna Mon 17-Oct-11 10:03:53

Yanbu.
I agree. dcs only. Ignore the adults.

GoEasyPudding Mon 17-Oct-11 10:11:07

I bet you have loads of other pals and family to make a fuss of who value your time and say thanks when you have sent a card or a gift. Put all your efforts and thoughtful gift buying into these people instead.

Dont send them anything else. Get cards for the kids birthdays if you must but rethink this if your kids dont get cards...?

If they ever say "hey you forgot my birthday" just say "I didnt think you guys were into cards and stuff?"

Not sure what to suggest about the plate though....mmmm.

CreamolaFoamless Mon 17-Oct-11 10:25:13

I think it would be up to them though if they want to get their dauughters chris or Christined not?

Should you not ask them whats up ?

Maye they just don't like you anymore and don't want you involved ?

Or maybe it's more complicated but if it is then talk to them ffs

the plate is irrevelant

redskyatnight Mon 17-Oct-11 10:53:48

DH and I both have a similar sort of relationship with our respective brothers. Some years "events" are celebrated, other year's not. I'm happy to celebrate their events so I will continue to do so. If at any point I wasn't happy to do so I would stop.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now