Talk

Advanced search

Should I really have to buy Ralph Lauren for my sons, aged 6 and 9?

(57 Posts)
QuintessentialShadyHallows Sun 16-Oct-11 22:12:42

I am searching for merino clothing for my boys as a midlayer. I want nice sweaters, in merino wool for winter to keep them snug.

I can only find really expensive stuff, such as Ralph Lauren. I am not paying £79 for ONE sweater, no sire!

Can you please help me find merino sweaters with a more "normal" price tag?

Hungrydragon Sun 16-Oct-11 22:15:02

Gap?

EricNorthmansMistress Sun 16-Oct-11 22:15:35

Style and Beauty might help you here. Of course you don't have to buy Ralph Lauren for your sons if you don't want to.

MollieO Sun 16-Oct-11 22:17:29

YABU. Please don't post in AIBU stuff that belongs in Style & Beauty. I have no clue what merino is confused grin

A1980 Sun 16-Oct-11 22:17:37

A quick google search just brought up loads of places that sell merino wool jumpers far cheaply than that.

Didn't you try that?

TipOfTheSlung Sun 16-Oct-11 22:17:37

Get onto a crafty forum and see if you can get someone to knit you something

xpatmama Sun 16-Oct-11 22:18:35

uniqlo?

QuintessentialShadyHallows Sun 16-Oct-11 22:20:47

I have tried to google. I tried google first, but I just get baby stuff and under garments, aside from Brooks Brothers, Ralph Lauren and the like. confused

QuintessentialShadyHallows Sun 16-Oct-11 22:22:01

uniqlo does not seem to have childrens clothes.

snetter Sun 16-Oct-11 22:23:03

Aldi has adult and kids merino tops in right now for about 15 quid.
Saw them on Fri.
smile

IwishIwasmoreorganised Sun 16-Oct-11 22:23:37

YABU.

Why do they need merino wool as midlayers ?

What's wrong with a vest, long sleeved t-shirt and nice wooly pully?

How cold does it get where you live?!

squeakytoy Sun 16-Oct-11 22:25:02

I am sure Ralph Lauren is no better than any other cheaper clothing at keeping a body warm, unless that little horsey logo is some sort of magical thermal creature...

scaryteacher Sun 16-Oct-11 22:25:17

Quint is Norwegian, so used to different levels of cold to us.

Clary Sun 16-Oct-11 22:26:26

Boden use a lot of merino and have a jumper with some merino in this season. Maybe a bit chunky for your requirements tho. this one

I assume you hav efound and dismissed the JLP one at £6 but half acrylic?

AnxiousElephant Sun 16-Oct-11 22:27:30

Whats wrong with a zip up top and a decent coat! They won't freeze! This is the UK not the Pole grin
If you spend loads of money on clothes then how can they play without being constantly reminded not to ruin them confused
It would be pretty indulgent to spend more than 30 imo.

AnxiousElephant Sun 16-Oct-11 22:28:25

Ah, I didn't realise you were Norwegian! That explains it smile

RJRabbit Sun 16-Oct-11 22:29:07

Merino Kids and Bambino Merino. Bamboo is fantastic and has the same temperature-regulating properties as merino, and is so, so soft. Bamboo Baby is great for that.

QuintessentialShadyHallows Sun 16-Oct-11 22:30:19

Thats right scaryteacher, but we are back in the uk now, and I know how cold a London winter can get! The high moisture levels in the air (it is an island after all) make it feel almost as cold as the arctic. My oldest is growing out of his wools, and my youngest have not yet grown into his brothers old stuff. We are "inbetweens"

Clary, no, neither found nor dismissed!

But, I love that chunky Boden jumper! shock

squeakytoy Sun 16-Oct-11 22:31:39

It does not feel that cold in London!!!

QuintessentialShadyHallows Sun 16-Oct-11 22:31:53

Anxious, thats the point, it needs to be warm and durable. I am not sending my kids out to play in really expensive stuff!

Come to think of it, they have not outgrown their downjackets, but I think that would be overkill here! grin

AnxiousElephant Sun 16-Oct-11 22:32:52

Why not just a long sleeve T-shirt, normal jumper and coat/ body warmer underneath that if required? I still don't see the need for Merino and I have suffered 36 British winters smile

RJRabbit Sun 16-Oct-11 22:33:03

Just to add that those shops all have stuff for older kids, though I'm not sure how much older they go. Bamboo Baby definitely covers your two though.

BoffinMum Sun 16-Oct-11 22:33:05

Petit Bateau? Do they do anything?

marriedinwhite Sun 16-Oct-11 22:33:27

Can't you just go to Peter Storm and get them ski-ing thermals and a good quality fleece?

MumblingAndBloodyRagDoll Sun 16-Oct-11 22:33:39

Joules jumpers are warm. Their fleecy ones are lovely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now