Talk

Advanced search

To change my name to something ridiculous before my wedding?

(43 Posts)
StuntCubble Sun 16-Oct-11 21:32:11

I need to change my name before we get married because I changed it by deedpoll to be the same as the Dcs but now we are getting married I don't want to say do you mr sc take miss sc etc etc as it sounds like we are either related or already married.

So do I just change back to maiden name or do I do a Phoebe and become princess consula banana hammock or similar? grin

Themumsnot Sun 16-Oct-11 21:35:05

Nothing wrong with the name you've already got. But if you want a change you could try reversing the initial consonants.

StuntCubble Sun 16-Oct-11 21:36:37

No I don't mean my mumsnet name, my actual legal proper name grin

gushofbloodtothefloor Sun 16-Oct-11 21:38:30

Can't your celebrant just say 'Do you Jane take Peter...'

Surely everyone knows the name situation, not like there's going to be a sharp intake of breath from the audience?

Littlefish Sun 16-Oct-11 21:39:57

In the wedding service, they use your first name, not your surname.

ie. Do you, Angelina take Brad to be your lawful wedded husband...

so you don't need to change your name at all.

gushofbloodtothefloor Sun 16-Oct-11 21:39:59

Getting married in your Mumsnet name - now there would be a very wonderful thing!

(would the DPs have to register to get their own MN name for the wedding to take place?)

StuntCubble Sun 16-Oct-11 21:40:23

I know but it just doesn't feel right to me iyswim. And is a church wedding, dunno if that makes any difference

onepieceofcremeegg Sun 16-Oct-11 21:40:32

They generally don't say your surname during the marriage vows do they?

It's usually "do you Annabel take Paul" rather than Annabel Smith and Paul Smith.

I will lol if your real name is Annabel - I have no idea what your rl name is of course!

MumblingAndBloodyRagDoll Sun 16-Oct-11 21:40:38

But everyone at the wedding knows you're not related....or married already surely?

StuntCubble Sun 16-Oct-11 21:41:27

Oh do they littlefish, so I need'nt worry?

onepieceofcremeegg Sun 16-Oct-11 21:41:30

If you do decide to change it to something ridiculous (!) then possibly not your mn name, imagine that in a church wink

StuntCubble Sun 16-Oct-11 21:42:24

Oh yes mn names would be fun.

Bugger I really wanted to be banana hammock

StuntCubble Sun 16-Oct-11 21:43:36

Yes mumbling I think so but it feels odd. I don't know why, I have mostly reverted to my maiden name anyway. In fact may convince dp to change his name instead

onepieceofcremeegg Sun 16-Oct-11 21:43:53

Oh go on, use your mnet name - and find some other mners with "interesting" names as bridemaids. Liven things up a bit!

StuntCubble Sun 16-Oct-11 21:45:28

Wanna be a bridesmaid then cremewgg, youngest change your name by deed poll mind. Is essential.

Btw ibthink some of you are taking it a bit too seriously smile

troisgarcons Sun 16-Oct-11 21:46:02

Forgive me for pissing on your fireworks, but I've seen a certificate (from a much married woman) that went thus:

Mary Brown formerly Green, formerly White, Formerly Black, nee Grey, .... so it'll look a bit 'ooh-ahh' in 200 years when the geneologists get at it!

notlettingthefearshow Sun 16-Oct-11 21:47:42

It's a real hassle changing your name. I wouldn't do it unless necessary.

Oh sorry are you not serious? What's your question then?

EricNorthmansMistress Sun 16-Oct-11 21:50:45

YABU
don't be daft. I think you could potentially get told off by someone if you did that anyway. Changing names is supposed to be a serious, permanent thing. You sign a legal document swearing that you will stop using the old one completely and get everyone to use your new name. Doing that with the intention of changing it back again is a bit wrong. Plus unless you revert to your original name, you'd be getting married under a completely alien name confused

I'm pretty sure you never lose the right to use your original name, so you could get married under that if you wanted to.

StuntCubble Sun 16-Oct-11 21:52:00

No it's actually very easy I've changed it before.

Trois, so with my name change already will it seem
Like I've already been marroed on certificates in years to come?

StuntCubble Sun 16-Oct-11 21:53:41

Eric, so I can still use my maiden name?

I know it sounds silly but I just don't want to marry dp whilst already having his name, it may sound irrational but I don't. Ini can use my old name that's fine.

ZillionChocolate Sun 16-Oct-11 21:54:44

My grandparents had the same surname before marriage. Coincidence rather than inbreeding.

EricNorthmansMistress Sun 16-Oct-11 21:54:56

check in legal. I could be wrong since you used deedpoll rather than marriage.

StuntCubble Sun 16-Oct-11 21:56:09

Really zillion, that's kind of cool.

onepieceofcremeegg Sun 16-Oct-11 21:58:33

I'll be a bridesmaid! Although I think I'm probably a bit old now and I can't wear peach or lemon. I will lend you my beautiful dds though grin

StuntCubble Sun 16-Oct-11 21:58:44

Thanks Eric I might contact the deed poll people it does semsillynto change it to change it again. Thing is I felt silly having dps name and not being married that I reverted to my original name quite quickly anyway so although legally I am his name I actually think of myself as my name, not even sure I do want his name at all really. But inknow I don't want to marry him having his name already. I know that probably all sounds a bit unhinged blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now