Talk

Advanced search

To feel 'at arms length'?

(3 Posts)
Rogers1 Sun 16-Oct-11 21:20:57

Me & my dad have only recently got back in contact (10months ago) after 12 years not speaking. I was a teen when this occurred & it wasn't even a falling out that happened between us. Since contact started...we have met once & have been in semi-regular contact. We both agree not to rush & get to know each other again after all this time.
I have suggested a few times that we meet or a casual coffee & am always rejected.
I feel disheartened & hurt. Am I being unreasonable?

ZillionChocolate Sun 16-Oct-11 21:24:30

You're not being unreasonable to feel hurt. However, presumably you lost contact for a reason and it would be right to be cautious now. Maybe you need to accept that he's not going to be the ideal father and you can't rely on him for much more than an occasional meeting.

Rogers1 Mon 17-Oct-11 14:10:48

Thank u ZillionChocolate. I think I will have to realise that this is all he can be. The falling out happened with his girlfriend...not with him. But we just never contacted eachother...I was very young at the time.
Thank u for that eye-opening piece of advice. Appreciated

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now