Talk

Advanced search

In thinking a tiny little bit of Piriton for my chicken pox covered 6mo DD will be ok?

(42 Posts)
GsyGacheFiend Sun 16-Oct-11 17:18:33

DD has caught chicken pox from DS. I've put the gel on her body but she has loads of spots on her head/face, particularly around the eyes. I can't put any lotions/creams on her face as she'll rub them off.
DS has been using Piriton but it says it's not recommended for under one. I've given her Calpol but the pharmacist couldn't recommend anything else to me.
I guess I'm asking WWYD?

tooearlymustdache Sun 16-Oct-11 17:21:56

Calamine lotion dries very quickly and cannot be rubbed off very easily.

If you think your DD needs piriton I'd go see the GP tbh.

DesperatelySeekingSedatives Sun 16-Oct-11 17:22:16

I personally wouldn't do that. There's got to be a good reason as to why it says it isn't suitable for under 1s. Hope your DD gets better soon though!

GodKeepsGiving Sun 16-Oct-11 17:22:52

My 8 month old recently had chicken pox and we were told by the doctor that he couldn't have anything, but the HV said it would be fine. Unfortunately he didn't need it then. PoxClin mousse is very good, but I couldn't get anything from the doctor either. I know how rotten it is - all my children had it in the space of a month.

troisgarcons Sun 16-Oct-11 17:23:34

Use eurax cream - far better than calimine.

My 3mo had piriton prescribed .....use your own judgement depending on weight ... phone the 24 hour pharmacist to be on the safe side.

Insomnia11 Sun 16-Oct-11 17:24:26

I don't see how Piriton would work in any event as it's an antihistamine which works on reducing allergic reactions. Chickenpox is a virus not an allergy.

altinkum Sun 16-Oct-11 17:26:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BarkisIsWillin Sun 16-Oct-11 17:32:44

I second the bread soda in the bath - a cupful or so in full size bath. Never tried the porridge oats but would suggest putting them into a small washing net thingy so avoid a total sludge in the bath.

amatuermummy Sun 16-Oct-11 17:35:16

We were told to give our 6 month old Piriton by the GP, he said it was fine, just 2.5ml. And it does help chickenpox, even says it on the bottle. Hope your LO feels better soon.

sausagerolemodel Sun 16-Oct-11 17:45:57

The BNF (british national formulary - prescribing handbook for healthcare types says

Piriton: Child 1 month–2 years 1 mg twice daily

I am guessing the not under 1 year on the packaging is to cover themselves.

its at bnf.org - you have to register by saying (but no proof required) that you work in healthcare.

Andrewofgg Sun 16-Oct-11 18:53:58

Remember that the instructions which come with medication, prescription or over-the-counter, were written by professionals.

Legal professionals.

Which is why if anybody who had once taken the product has then scratched under the armpit they warn you that if you swallow this you will probably get bubonic plague. Can't be too careful about getting sued, you know . . .

GsyGacheFiend Sun 16-Oct-11 19:55:28

Thank you for your replies, I had a feeling that a GP might prescribe it so it's good to hear that has sometimes been the case with others. As it's a weekend and we're in an area where there is no NHS I didn't want to call a doctor out at the weekend and end up paying £80+ when it's not an emergency and the chances are I would be told to use Piriton (or nothing) depending on the doctor.

I have been doing the oats in the bath etc but I specifically wanted something I could give her orally as she has bad pox around her eyes. I'm going to see how she goes tonight, she woke up a few times last night but wasn't inconsolable. Luckily I'm still BF so that seems to comfort her quite a bit. The blisters first came out on Thursday so hopefully tomorrow she may be over the worst of it.

BarbarianMum Sun 16-Oct-11 19:57:47

Go to your GP. It can be given to children under 1 year (ds1 was prescribed it as an emergency medicine for a food allergy) but the correct dose will be v. small and may be needed to be calculated on body weight.

GuillotinedMaryLacey Sun 16-Oct-11 19:59:50

Piriton is currently sending my 3yo completely loopy. I wouldn't give it for that reason.

littleducks Sun 16-Oct-11 20:01:03

This may not work if there is no NHS, but is there any chance you could speak to a dr on the phone? As you already have piriton in the house he might be able to advise you give her a small dose without actually prescribing it in person and avoid callout charges etc.

nethunsreject Sun 16-Oct-11 20:03:55

I'd also ask a GP, but not at £80 a go!

As others have said, it can be prescribed (and btw Insomnia, antihistamines stop itching regardless of the source, be it allergy, viral, etc! Histamine is the substance your body produces - blocking its production stops you itching) BUT I would be too worried to give it without a HCP's say so as young babies being in the very deep sleep which comes with antihistamines might be best avoided, depending on the individual and any other risk factors. Don't mean to be alarmist, but just wanted to mention that.

Sleepglorioussleep Sun 16-Oct-11 20:08:44

We were prescribed pitiful go 3 month old ds when he had it. But that's the point-we were prescribed it under doctor's supervision. So see your gp and see what he/she says. Don't give it otherwise.

TastyMuffins Sun 16-Oct-11 20:09:47

Is your DD troubled by the pox? If not, then just leave them. Don't give anything unless she is suffering.

Sleepglorioussleep Sun 16-Oct-11 20:10:09

Why would out of hours gp cost you? Ours doesn't. Horrible to have baby with chicken pox, btw. Sympathy from me.

Sleepglorioussleep Sun 16-Oct-11 20:10:47

Oh-piriton not pitiful of course blush

Sleepglorioussleep Sun 16-Oct-11 20:12:59

So sorry-just read bit about no Nhs. Sleep dep.

CardyMow Sun 16-Oct-11 20:14:43

<<Disclaimer - NOT A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL>> When my DS3 was 16 weeks old, he had an allergic reaction to hypoallergenic suncream. The GP prescribed a 2ml dose of piriton syrup as a one-off. My GP's advice was that the reason the bottle says not suitable for dc under 1yo now (it used to say from 3mo) is because many people were giving too high a dose. When my DS3 was given a 2ml dose, it was based on his weight which at the time was 16lb2oz.

I couldn't tell you whether to use it or not, that would be your own decision, I can just tell you what DS3 was prescribed. Would NHS direct be able to advise you?

pinkytheshrunkenhead Sun 16-Oct-11 20:17:36

I have to say if she is uncomfy I would do it -I would give half the dose recommended for a1 year old provided she is average weight etc.It is common sense in these situations

nethunsreject Sun 16-Oct-11 20:31:57

Oh, sorry, I forgot to wish her well! smile

It is miserable. Virasoothe is good too. And I'd second/third the oats in the bath.

Bfing is great- times like this it really comes into its own.

GsyGacheFiend Sun 16-Oct-11 20:38:03

If I gave any I was going to just give her 1ml (she's 14lbs). I've managed to settle her for the night (for now) without so I'll see how she goes. If it's worse tomorrow I'll see if I can get hold of my GP.
I had a feeling the guidelines may have changed due to the reasons stated by huntycat but didn't know if it had previously been recommended so thank you for the info. I tend to err on the side of caution (hence the post in the first place) but my gut instinct was to give her some if it got worse so I'll stick with my gut, hopefully she won't need any.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now