Talk

Advanced search

to tell neighbour if they cant keep their sodding cat out of our house they need to keep it in theirs

(33 Posts)
filiscare Sun 16-Oct-11 12:04:31

Apologies for another cat thread. Our cat is dying, she used to love going outside but about six weeks ago our neighbours got a cat, it attacks ours every time she goes out and it even come into our house and attacks her, through the back door when I'm putting washing out, through the living room window, climbed up the bin store into our side window, today it even climbed in the kitchen window, I can't even have a window/door open because it comes in, I'm sick of feeling like I'm locked in my home and my cat doesn't need the stress, is there anything I could do.
Oh and it also bangs its paws against our patio doors.

squeakytoy Sun 16-Oct-11 12:05:41

Water pistol the cat every time you see it. It will hopefully get the message that coming into your garden is not a pleasant experience.

filiscare Sun 16-Oct-11 12:11:30

I just can't believe bloody asbocat has broken into our house through nearly every downstairs window

LydiaWickham Sun 16-Oct-11 12:26:55

water pistol. Ideally a super soaker. Scream and try to scare it. (Don't resort to kicking it, I know you'll want to but don't).

alternatively, can you borrow a dog from someone for a couple of days? Scared the bejeezus out of neigbours cheeky cat when our friend with a dog was staying, we didn't see cheeky cat for best part of a week...

SaffronCake Sun 16-Oct-11 12:29:47

Cats wander. They also establish territories and dominance by intimidation. They break through barriers. They kill smaller creatures. It's what they're like. Usually though they do it when you can't see them, you don't know they are doing it then come home to you and cosy up with the butter wouldn't melt face.

If the first you hear about your bad cat is a crazy lady from next door hammering on your door calling it a criminal and demanding you lock it up you wont believe it and you certainly wont want to take her side above your dear fluffy pusskins.

Chase it out, water pistol it, hiss and shoo, it's all fair, but also have a serious look at your home security. Cats can be strong but nowhere near as strong as a burglar, take it as early warning now and sort your security.

filiscare Sun 16-Oct-11 12:32:34

saffron my home security is fine thanks or am I not allowed to open windows when I'm in the house.

belledechocchipcookie Sun 16-Oct-11 12:32:47

Can you tie a bell across the window? You'll be able to hear if the cat gets in because it will ring. Then you can shoot it with the super soaker.

oldraver Sun 16-Oct-11 12:33:06

Any kind of water in the general direction of the cat, you dont have to actually get them, the shoo them away. I also find one particular bully cat runs off if I pshh pshh at it.

LifeIsButtercream Sun 16-Oct-11 12:35:08

I have a similar problem (although no cat of my own), houdini cat who would not only come in through every open window but force open-a-crack windows further open and strut in (we're talking upstairs windows too as it could scale the ivy), and it didn't care if you saw it/were yelling at it/approaching it.

Water pistol works - just don't let your neighbours see you doing it, if they're anything like mine - saw me wielding the pistol in the direction of their cat (we're talking pink plastic see-through Poundland water pistol - not an AK47 replica) and threatened me with the RSPCA. The irony of it was, it was raining anyway!

I feel your pain!

blackoutthesun Sun 16-Oct-11 12:37:01

i use to live next door to a cat like that, a little shit is what it was!

i use to throw stuff at it (never hit it tho before i get flamed)

SaffronCake Sun 16-Oct-11 12:37:20

If they're open then the cat has broken in? What have I missed here?

Is it a truly terrible cat with remarkable talents (some are) or is it that you're on the edge of your nerves because your pet is sick and you're making the cat next door into something it isn't?

HullEnzia Sun 16-Oct-11 12:38:56

Keep a jug of cold water in the fridge. You'll only need to soak it once with ice cold water.

gordyslovesheep Sun 16-Oct-11 12:39:25

hiss at it and chase it - we have a number of 'chav' cats who like our house - they are un spayed, flea ridden and not allowed in their own homes very often which is sad - but no reason for my flea free well looked after cats to be chased round their own home.

SazZaVoom Sun 16-Oct-11 12:40:42

Our neighbours cat comes in our house and bullies ours. I have used water, shouting and kicking the cat flap at it when it is trying to come in. None of it has cured the problem, but things are slightly better. Sorry no miracle cure but i do sympathise.

Birdsgottafly Sun 16-Oct-11 12:45:08

If your cat is no longer going out, how about getting tiger poo, off the internet and putting that outside, i have heared that it keeps cats away.

I would also use either water and/or noise to chase it away.

You don't have to hurt the other cat to chase it, you just need to run at it and look like you are going to hit it, for it to get the message.

filiscare Sun 16-Oct-11 12:45:29

Sorry saffrontrespassed rather than broken in

iscream Sun 16-Oct-11 13:12:13

Can you go and explain this all to your neighbor? Surely as a cat owner herself, she will have some sympathy for your poor ill cat?
One of our cats did this to our other cat, when she was dying. Finally we had no choice but to keep them on separate floors of the house so our sick cat could have peace in her last few weeks.
I am sorry about your cat.

ditavonteesed Sun 16-Oct-11 13:18:03

sad sorry about your cat, we are the neighbours here though, our cats go next doot all the time, through the cat flap (ours has magnets but theirs doesnt) the neighbour lets them eat her cats food (replace with feeds them) and I dont know how to stop it, she now locks her cat flap at night, one of y cats comes home but the other one will no longer come near us and I have no idea where he sleeps, it breaks my heart, we tried everything for years we would go round at tea time every day and get the cats back bring them home and feed them but still no good. the niehgbour is a lady on her own and we have a fairly loud chaotic house so guess the cats just like hers better.
think you just have to chuck it out everythime you see it.

PeneloPeePitstop Sun 16-Oct-11 14:52:06

Those pet behave sprays are good too, but I'm thinking that might stress your own kitty out, in which case the super soaker is a good one.

LittleJennyRobyn Sun 16-Oct-11 16:18:51

Have you actually told the neighbours of the situation? If it was mine i'd want to know.

My cat did this to a female cat that moved into the street, neighbours complained and we told them to squirt water at him and shoo him off.

They did with the hose only took a couple of shots and he never bothers them now.

Have also used a hose on a nuisance cat who was spraying all over my garden. only needed to do it once

Hose is alot more effective than water pistol

myncichips Sun 16-Oct-11 16:31:59

I have a very nosey cat who kept going into next door's house and eating their cat's food. I was mortified even though they were fine about it and thought he was funny. In the end they got a magnetic cat flap to keep him out (I felt terrible they'd had to go to the expense). I sympathise with you from the other side of the fence, so to speak, but unfortunately cats can't be reasoned with. I encouraged next door to spray him with water which did help. Unless you can suggest how they would control their cat I'm not sure what they could do but still good to let them know. They'll probably be like me - really embarrassed and a bit helpless.

Insomnia11 Sun 16-Oct-11 17:39:24

Not cheap but one of our best cat buys was a cat flap that reads their microchips. So our cats disappear into the house...yowling Tom <baff> into the now closed flap smile

slavetofilofax Sun 16-Oct-11 17:46:36

Cat owners are not helpless to prevent their cats annoying other people! They can keep their cats indoors!

No, the cat probably won't like it, but tough!

TheBestWitch Sun 16-Oct-11 17:46:58

Shut the door behind you when you take your washing out. And surely you won't need your windows wide open in October?

boohoobabywho Sun 16-Oct-11 18:01:16

this sounds mean but i found out about it by accident (HONEST) i own two lovely cats, both who have been trained to keep off the kitchen surfaces and not go upstairs by using the water pistol method. soon enough even the sight of the waterpistol would send them running.

Annnyyywho, i was recommended tea tree oil for dd nits and i thought that it might be a good chemical free way to deal with cats fleas. OH OH big mistake! the cats hated it and would come inside for about a week and a half... even then the cats kept giving me the evils....

I laughed - but felt really guilty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now