Talk

Advanced search

in thinking someone needs to tell my dad's GF to stop feeding us!

(59 Posts)
TeapotsInJune Sat 15-Oct-11 21:14:06

It is actually getting a tiny bit beyond a joke!

She regularly invites my husband and I around for a meal (with my dad) and cooks huge three course dinners with colossal portions, to the point where to be honest it's quite embarrassing. I ate until I was full to the point of bursting today but my plate still looked as if no one had touched it. As you're eating she constantly tries to make you take even more food.

My dad has gained a stone since being with her and I was sick after our meal today because I'd just had to eat so much and it's heavy, solid food - roast beef with around eight roast potatoes, three yorkshire puddings, massive dollops of carrots, peas, cauliflour. Pate and biscuits for starters and massive crumble fo pudding and my one portion would have fed four. I've asked her really nicely not to give me so much but she still piles my plate high.

My dad is really touchy about not offending her but I feel unwell when I have come away!

LoopyLoopsPussInBoots Sat 15-Oct-11 21:15:04

Send her my way.

eaglewings Sat 15-Oct-11 21:18:42

No loopy, she needs to visit me first, I've been nil by mouth all day!

Teapot, whatever you do don't finish your plate or she will give you more next time

Just gently chip away with the request for smaller portions

TeapotsInJune Sat 15-Oct-11 21:19:44

God, I couldn't finish my plate, I had to go to the loo to be sick halfway through the meal. I'm not a delicate flower with a birdlike appetite either!

GuillotinedMaryLacey Sat 15-Oct-11 21:21:48

Just don't eat it. If you are consistent in eating only what you can then she'll either get the message and stop piling it on, or eventually get pissed off with the amount of food she's chucking.

How long have they been together? Is she nervous or trying to please?

cleanandclothed Sat 15-Oct-11 21:23:45

Can you ask to serve yourself?

BeyondLimitsOfTheLivingDead Sat 15-Oct-11 21:24:26

YABU for mentioning pate while I'm pregnant... envy

My nan is like this. So from my experience, it is NEVER going to change. Just eat what you can grin

squeakytoy Sat 15-Oct-11 21:25:34

Just leave what you cant eat. She will soon get the message that way.

Or buy her a lazy susan thingy to shove in the middle of the table so everyone can help themselves..

TeapotsInJune Sat 15-Oct-11 21:26:20

My dad is so keen that she isn't offended that he eats what we can't (god only knows where he puts it all seriously ...)

Ugh, I still feel sick! They haven't been together long so I suspect she is trying to please but how anyone thinks 8 roast potatoes is a reasonable amount I don't know!

rubyrubyruby Sat 15-Oct-11 21:26:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsCampbellBlack Sat 15-Oct-11 21:27:37

Just eat as much as you want too and say its delicious but there was too much for you.

Perhaps hover/help in the kitchen and not let so much food be put on your plate.

StewieGriffinsMom Sat 15-Oct-11 21:27:41

peggyblackett Sat 15-Oct-11 21:28:14

Is she called Mrs. Doyle?

worraliberty Sat 15-Oct-11 21:28:40

How anyone could throw up in the middle of a meal and then carry on eating is beyond me.

What's wrong with saying to her "Please can I just have a small, main meal as I don't eat much?"

Then if she insists on giving you anything else, just leave it confused

ChocolateTeacup Sat 15-Oct-11 21:28:53

8 Roast potatoes!! blimey I have 3/4

TeapotsInJune Sat 15-Oct-11 21:30:46

Nope she isn't Mrs Doyle!

Worra, I ate what I could, felt sick, went to the bathroom and my dad was eating what I couldn't. The problem is she makes it and serves it before you arrive. I don't know, really! It sounds so easy to say "no thanks, had enough!" but honestly the woman doesn't hear NO!

zukiecat Sat 15-Oct-11 21:31:37

worraliberty Sat 15-Oct-11 21:31:54

Then the next time you are invited, tell her you don't eat this much.

It sounds simple because it really is smile

squeakytoy Sat 15-Oct-11 21:35:23

Ask if you could take a doggy bag home.. that way your dad wont be able to eat it, and you can either eat more yourself later, or discreetly dispose of it.

squeakytoy Sat 15-Oct-11 21:36:00

Have you invited her over to your house yet and cooked for her? Make her see what a normal portion is.

TheLadyEvenstar Sat 15-Oct-11 21:44:17

oh send her my way!!

I am sick of doing all the cooking!

Is she of German descent. My step mum is like this, and her mum was German. She does EVENTUALLY get the message, but offers regularly when we visit, which fortunately ain't too much. My DH, who NO gland is particularly poorly developed, could easily gain 1/2 St even if we just went for a few days!!!!

cardibachFalchoFodynGymraes Sat 15-Oct-11 21:55:47

Isn't it cold/dried out if she makes it and serves it before you arrive and you have a starter too? That would bother me as much as the quantity.
Agree with ohters - just eat what you can and politely resist the pressure.

ScaredBear Sat 15-Oct-11 22:01:32

HollywoodAgentForTheLivingDead Sat 15-Oct-11 22:24:52

My DHs family dishes up and eats huge meals, whereas it doesn't take me that long to fill up and not be able to eat any more.

When I couldn't eat what they'd given me, I felt they thought I was turning my nose up at their hospitality, which just wasn't the case.

They're not in the least overweight, FIL is like a stick, but they just couldn't accept someone else might be different.

Same with making a cup of tea, they'd ask me how I'd like it, and kept calling it 'baby tea' because I wasn't keen on tea that put fur on your teeth.

Your Dads relationship with the woman is his own affair and he can do as he pleases.

Just eat what you can, you shouldn't feel forced into doing anything you feel uncomfortable with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now