Talk

Advanced search

To Want To Whip This Jockey Myself?

(79 Posts)
zukiecat Sat 15-Oct-11 19:14:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

I agree. Hurting an animal to try to win some stupid race is disgusting.

Lucyinthepie Sat 15-Oct-11 19:18:18

Who on here goes to the races? Or places bets on the National? Because racehorses are always whipped. There is a new rule that reduces the number of times they can be whipped in a race, but it is accepted in the racing industry that horses can be whipped.
Misuse of the whip is just more whipping, not an alternative to no whipping.

ItWasABoojum Sat 15-Oct-11 19:18:35

YANBU. Man's an arse. angry

gordyslovesheep Sat 15-Oct-11 19:19:43

yabu - they don't beat them smile and the rules changed this week which is what they are cross about - the 'whips' are foam tipped not especially evil

cyb Sat 15-Oct-11 19:20:29

Horse are not mistreated

The whips are made of foam

You have clearly never been to a horse race or a racing stables and seen how well the horses are treated

Thingumy Sat 15-Oct-11 19:21:49

I tend to feel more sorry for the stable hands.

zukiecat Sat 15-Oct-11 19:22:25

I don't do either, Lucy.

Beat them, whip them, they strike them. That's not on. I don't believe that it doesn't hurt. But if you think it doesn't hurt, bare your arse and bend over and I'll thwack you with one of those whips and you can tell me grin

Magneto Sat 15-Oct-11 19:23:14

Yanbu, I don't ever go to the races and I don't bet on the grand national just the same way I wouldn't see a bull fight or bear baiting/cock or dog fights. They are all the same and horse racing should be should be banned too.

cyb Sat 15-Oct-11 19:24:17

You are showing your ignorance by saying it is barbaric and cruel. If that were the case dont you think the RSPCA would be up in arms and at every race course?

The use of the term 'whipping' is emotive and makes it sound like the poor creature is beaten half to death.

zukiecat Sat 15-Oct-11 19:24:45

It's a whip. What else could the use of it be called? [baffled]

ScaredBear Sat 15-Oct-11 19:26:29

peggotty Sat 15-Oct-11 19:26:33

If it's not painful to the horse, why has use of the whip been limited cyb?

gordyslovesheep Sat 15-Oct-11 19:27:31

well a toy gun is a GUN but we don;t get our knickers in a knot about them killing kids - seriously be outraged but be factual

shshiney Sat 15-Oct-11 19:28:36

Message withdrawn

discobeaver Sat 15-Oct-11 19:28:45

Racing is cruel. Horses are highly stressed, often injured, and cast aside when not needed.
However, humans treat all sorts of animals abysmally (sp?) not just those we use for entertainment. I've just eaten part of a cow for dinner for example.

zukiecat Sat 15-Oct-11 19:29:18

Thingumy Sat 15-Oct-11 19:29:25

The new law has nothing to do with any pain,it's to with tired horses being pushed beyond their limits at the end of races by overuse of the whip.

ItWasABoojum Sat 15-Oct-11 19:30:22

Not barbaric at all hmm

cyb Sat 15-Oct-11 19:30:45

Then I must be a barbarian. I like Horse racing

squeakytoy Sat 15-Oct-11 19:32:24

made of foam? so a) why are they limiting its use, and b) why does the horse run faster if it is whipped?

zukiecat Sat 15-Oct-11 19:33:53

Wow, ItWasABoojum.

That's a lot of deaths for something as pointless as a bloody race.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now