Talk

Advanced search

To think our Pre school needs to gt itself sorted out?

(12 Posts)
MumblingAndBloodyRagDoll Sat 15-Oct-11 13:21:40

I have put this in Preschool education already but no responses (not yet) so want to stick it here...where people are.

DD is 3 and a half and began the preschool attached to the primary school in September. She loves it and seems very happy but the staff although lovely don't ever give me any feedback. there is no diary or even weekly newsletter.

I dont like feeling out of touch...she's not a PFB but is my 2nd child. My older DD wnt to a different nursery with much more communication.

What is the norm? Our other Nursery was a small private one and this one is larger...I am happy that DD is so settled of course but SOME news or communication about her day would be welcome.

She also had a little scrape on her face last week which she said she got falling off the top of the slide...she's very articulate and I beleived her of course...but I got no mention of it at pick up. The mark was kind of in the pattern of those bark chippings...so her head/face must have bumped hard...I thought that they should have told me? I blinking forgot to mention it though...is it too late now?

And what if anything do I say to the manager? She is a lovely woman and I know DD is happy at preschool...maybe I shouldn't rock the boat?

worraliberty Sat 15-Oct-11 13:25:39

Have you not had a parent's evening yet?

The Nursery my kids used to go to gave a weekly newsletter and you could ask the teachers at any time how your child was getting on.

Also, when I picked my DS's up the teachers would be full of laughs and comments to all the parents about something their child might have done or said that day.

The accident should definitely have been recorded and no it's not too late to ask them what happened.

MrBloomsNursery Sat 15-Oct-11 13:27:23

Do you ask the staff at every visit how her day was? That's what I do. When I go to collect DD I ask the staff how her day was, and what she did, and they're happy to tell me. It's more like second nature to me now to ask how she was...get into the habit of asking and talking to the staff.

ragged Sat 15-Oct-11 13:28:39

I think you should just ask directly for more feedback; my experience, tbh, is they give me more info than I can possibly make use of!
They will be required (Ofsted, Learning Story) to make lots of observations and keep a record book you can ask to see at any time.

Is it a charity preschool, with a "committee"? These are at high risk of being incredibly disorganised.

The injury is tough to say what they "should" have done; would it be a very obvious scrape to anyone else looking at her face? Did she say that she had told an adult about it?

Groovee Sat 15-Oct-11 13:29:54

As a nursery nurse in a state school nursery class, we have 29 other children in the class, we cannot feedback on every child's day. Newsletters tend to be monthly (but in my children's nursery it was termly). Everywhere works differently but only if there are issues such as your dd was upset at drop off but settled quickly or if a child hadn't been having a good time for a few days would we feedback to parents.

But they should have filled out the accident book over your dd falling from the slide and what first aid was given and you should have signed to say you knew it had happened.

MumblingAndBloodyRagDoll Sat 15-Oct-11 13:31:26

I have asked but they always seem so busy! They just say "Oh she's had a ovelt day! which I dont doubt as she is always talking about it and telling me what she's done...she's made friends and learned to write her name...always full of new songs etc...but no mention of a arents evening.

ragged it is commitee run....they asked parents to come to a meeting on the first week back and I had no chance as I was working. Should I just offer to help out in some way? the injury was not that obvious no...more of a mrk than a scrape...no blood.

MumblingAndBloodyRagDoll Sat 15-Oct-11 13:33:10

Grovee that's what I thought....I have seen the staff talking to the odd parent whose child was not ettling....telling them "Oh she has been much better today and no tears." so they obviously put their energy where it needs to be iyswim.

I suppose because she has settled well, they see no need to fll me in. She has pictures to bring home all the time and I have no doubt that the care is really good.

anewyear Sat 15-Oct-11 13:33:24

Parents evening, at Pre school? is it a new thing?
Day nurserys I could prehaps understand as the children are there all day, but our local Pre-School only opens 5 mornings a week, In the local village hall,
all equipment has to be put away at the end of the sessions.
The staff there will tell you if there is/has been a problem at the end of the session.

MumblingAndBloodyRagDoll Sat 15-Oct-11 13:36:03

Our pre school is open all day anewyear and DD is in 3 full days as she seemed really keen...we began her on one full and 2 halves but it became apparent she was annoyed when I took her home at lunchtime. She likes to be there for lunch and afternoon activitis are fun.

worraliberty Sat 15-Oct-11 13:43:04

No it's not a new thing. My almost 20yr old had parents evening at his Nursery.

lesstalkmoreaction Sat 15-Oct-11 13:58:21

''I have asked but they always seem so busy! They just say "Oh she's had a ovelt day! which I dont doubt as she is always talking about it and telling me what she's done''

Thats the difference now she is older thats she gives feedback, when younger children are in nursery of course there is more daily feedback as they can't tell you what they have done, eaten, how often the nappy was changed etc. Nursery is often 8-6 whereas pre school is often 9-12 or 9-3, shorter hours means less to feedback.
The learning journey with child observations will be an ongoing document which you can see, also ask who is your childs key worker and tell her you would really like to know more of what she is doing on a day to day basis, ask the manager how she feedsback info etc. You could make a suggestion about how you would like to see more feedback.
They are always busy at pick up and this is not always the best time to elay information other than important events, but the fall should have been relayed unless it really wasn't serious. I would make an appointment to discuss with the key worker how she is settling in.

MumblingAndBloodyRagDoll Sat 15-Oct-11 14:02:40

I will ask about the keyworker...I never knew she had one! Thanks lesstalk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now