Talk

Advanced search

To think nose blowing should be done in private

(59 Posts)
loserface Sat 15-Oct-11 10:53:17

Just as the title says really. DP often gives his nose a good hoot at the dinner table and other public places and it makes me sick!
Nose blowing should be done in private if possible, no one wants to hear snot flying out your nose at a million miles an hour and then see you wiping it up from your nostrils <boak>.

Am I right?!

ZonkedOut Sat 15-Oct-11 10:56:58

YABU, I don't see what the big deal is. Unless he opens up the tissue to inspect the contents.

smartyparts Sat 15-Oct-11 10:57:20

At the dinner table! Beyond disgusting.

I agree, nose blowing should be done in private. I have a huge problem with it. I work with a guy who does big, explosive sneezes, then huge snotty blows into a handkerchief to add insult to injury.

I also hate it when people blow their noses into tissues and then put them up their sleeves! <Goes off to vomit>

ScaredBear Sat 15-Oct-11 10:57:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

loserface Sat 15-Oct-11 11:00:10

If someone has a cold then fair do's, sometimes it needs to be done. I just think its gross when you could easily go off to the toilet or a spare room and do it!

smartyparts Sat 15-Oct-11 11:02:51

I agree OP! And if you have a cold, you should be washing your hands afterwards anyway, so do it in the loo!

MyBoysHaveDogsNames Sat 15-Oct-11 11:03:16

But sniffing is absolutely disgusting! Actually makes me heave, that repetitive wet, slurpy suck up the nostrils. Urrrgh, making me shudder.

LadyEvilEyes Sat 15-Oct-11 11:05:19

I agree with ScaredBear.
Sometimes you just have to blow your nose wherever you are.

BimboNo5 Sat 15-Oct-11 11:07:51

I think ALL bodily functions should happen in private. So we need to be confined in our homes 24/7, I mean ffs DIGESTION occuring in public places? Gas exchange happening at a dinner party? Wowzer!

Kayano Sat 15-Oct-11 11:10:53

Yanbu

It makes me wretch with anything to do with mucus, phlegm or raw eggs...
Anything gloopy or that I envisage to be gloopy is wretch worthy.

Yanbu

smartyparts Sat 15-Oct-11 11:11:32

I don't think I have ever been offended by digestion confused

But some 'functions' are repulsive.

HoneyPablo Sat 15-Oct-11 11:12:00

YABU
I think we are just all getting more intolerant of other people, having just read the thread about workmen pooing in his customer's toilets.

dontquotem3 Sat 15-Oct-11 13:31:30

yy myboyshavedogsnames I detest the sound of repetitive sniffing to the extent that I had to offer a person on a bus a tissue because they would not stop! Oh it grates on my nerves.
But to the original topic, blowing noses, doesn't bother me so much.

HollywoodAgentForTheLivingDead Sat 15-Oct-11 13:42:24

I'm really, really squeamish, and someone else making me think about their snotty nose (if they haven't got a cold) when I'm eating, would put me right off.

The same would go for picking at scabs, boasting about the size of the log they felled that morning, or the vet having to squeeze their dogs anal glands (like SIL did when we were eating once).

Snot is meant to be disgusting, it's not people being intolerant.

Weirdly I'm not at all bothered by my own DCs noses when I'm eating, but only when they're younger.

knittedbreast Sat 15-Oct-11 13:45:13

seriously. im very concerned for you if nose blowing upsets you.

you must have a wonderful life for this to even be an issue

HollywoodAgentForTheLivingDead Sat 15-Oct-11 13:48:47

How lovely your concern for the OP is knitted.

I'm concerned you've never felt annoyed at anything smaller than a full blown drama in your life.

Do you find you're either extremely upset about something, or not upset at all?

winnybella Sat 15-Oct-11 13:49:28

Blowing your nose at the table is absolutely disqusting. I don't want to think about gloopy snot when swallowing food.

Otoh I don't think you need to do it in private in all circumstances, but when at the table-yes.

crazynannawitchbitch Sat 15-Oct-11 13:51:54

I would rather see someone blow their nose than see a trail of green slime perched on their top lip.

Salmotrutta Sat 15-Oct-11 14:06:10

Off topic somewhat but I'm sure I read/heard once that in Japan it's considered very bad manners to blow your nose in public and people just sniff instead if, say, they are on a train/bus/out and about.
Can anyone tell me if that's true?
Personally I hate constant sniffing and snotty noses so I have a box of tissues at the front of my classroom for pupils who come in ill-prepared!

MysteriousHamster Sat 15-Oct-11 14:08:52

Meh

I have numerous but mild allergies that mean I don't go anywhere without a tissue. If I left the room everytime I had to blow my nose I'd never get anything done.

I have felt self-conscious about this since I was about six.

Thanks.

MysteriousHamster Sat 15-Oct-11 14:09:48

ps though I would try to avoid really loud nose-honking (eg when I have a cold) in public when it's possible

tigercametotea Sat 15-Oct-11 14:15:47

I don't see what the big deal is with nose-blowing. Surely that's preferable to seeing snot dripping down a person's nostrils. Euuurgh! But if someone blew their noses in front of me though, and didn't go wash their hands after, I would feel a bit funny about shaking their hands.

Thzumbazombiewitch Sat 15-Oct-11 14:18:08

YABU. I would far rather someone get on and blow their nose than sit there sniffing.

When I used to commute regularly, the sniffers made me irrationally stabby - even more so than the personal stereo noises. Just BLOW it, FFS, don't sit there sniffing and snorting!!
Obviously I'd prefer it if they blew their nose away from the meal table though...

margerykemp Sat 15-Oct-11 14:20:00

Yabu

susiedaisy Sat 15-Oct-11 14:26:28

YANBU disgusting to empty a nose full of cold at the food table then to glance at the result I hate it when people do it, I have one uncle in particular who does it, it's awful table manners angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now