Talk

Advanced search

To think that going to a Pantomime after Christmas is rubbish?

(33 Posts)
PosieIsSaggySacForLemaAndPigS Sat 15-Oct-11 08:41:36

Short story.
DS1 is in a large Pantomime Production, the "The Hoff".
DH said tickets after Christmas are rubbish, he finishes work on 22nd 4pm.
I agree Pantomimes (if you must go) are good as part of Christmas build up.
We've only just got the dates that DS1 is on and all weekends and Christmas Eve is booked up.
Should we:
a) go without DH and DH and I go on an early date? (good for ~DS1 as he gets seen early on, which he likes)
b) Go on New Years Eve, all of us.
c) Go to an Evening performance before Christmas starting at 7pm, with a 5, 3 and 8 year old.

531800000008 Sat 15-Oct-11 08:48:16

ok

in answer to thread title

'oh no it's not'

we go to the Panto on Boxing Day, so each to their own

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 15-Oct-11 08:49:10

YABU... Post Christmas is the most boring period of the year. It's good to have a show to liven things up. Nothing to stop you going twice to support your DS.

Seabright Sat 15-Oct-11 08:51:32

Pantomime are traditionally meant ot be post-Christmas

aldiwhore Sat 15-Oct-11 08:52:30

We usually go just before New Year.

YABU smile

DownbytheRiverside Sat 15-Oct-11 08:54:53

We always go in the New Year, Christmas is carol concerts, nativity plays, trees and Christmas stuff.
So YABU to be so narrow-minded for the rest of us. grin

StellaAndFries Sat 15-Oct-11 08:55:15

We usually go after Christmas so that we have something to look forward to after all of the Christmas excitement.

Animation Sat 15-Oct-11 08:58:21

Oh yes it is!

MrsPresley Sat 15-Oct-11 08:58:58

This year we are going on Christmas Eve but we normally go after Christmas.

I like to have something to look forward to after Christmas.

MowlemB Sat 15-Oct-11 09:01:38

Can you go twice? Early on without your dh? And again later with him?

Otherwise go after Xmas. It's when I always go anyway.

PosieIsSaggySacForLemaAndPigS Sat 15-Oct-11 09:02:47

Aha...okay thanks. I've never been after Christmas!! But we've decided not to take DS3 as the tickets are £37.50!!!!

Perhaps going after Christmas prolongs the Christmas spirit?

SnapesMistress Sat 15-Oct-11 09:03:55

Our panto is always in January, YABU

cantpooinpeace Sat 15-Oct-11 09:05:18

We go new years eve afternoon, it gives us something to look forward to after the Christmas come down. We tend to go with friends then eat out after, kids tired, put them all down at friends and celebrate the new year.

Acekicker Sat 15-Oct-11 09:14:01

We've gone every year for the last 3 or 4 years to the final weekend (mid-Jan) for DS's birthday. I agree that it's not rubbish, it fills the post Christmas slump nicely - and it's not as if there's a lack of events/activities to build up to Christmas in anycase.

I also always thought that traditionally pantos were supposed to start Boxing Day and run into early Jan.

BlathersFright Sat 15-Oct-11 09:25:45

YABU. Ours is booked for the 27th. The bit between Christmas and New Years is always a bit of an anticlimax, the panto is something fun to look forward to.

halcyondays Sat 15-Oct-11 09:47:28

Yabu, I like going after Christmas, it gives you something to look forward to afterwards and there are plenty of other things going on in the run up to Christmas. Pantos quite often go on well into January at big theatres.

MorelliOrRanger Sat 15-Oct-11 09:50:23

We went on the last day of the panto this year (Jan 15th I think) and it was brilliant. Something to look forward to after the let down of Crimbo.

bah humbug.

So YABVVVVU.

PosieIsSaggySacForLemaAndPigS Sat 15-Oct-11 10:01:51

I'm glad to concede!!

LordOfTheFlies Sat 15-Oct-11 10:07:59

When my DD was in nursery they went to local theatre panto because her nursery teachers sister was in it and they got a good deal on the tickets ( mid January)

I did not know it was a post-Christmas tradition TBH.

Mine think they are too old now, but when they were little we used to go the night before my parents came for Christmas.(Evening panto, fall asleep in car.When they woke up ,G/Parents arrive. Lovely)smile

Zippylovesgeorge Sat 15-Oct-11 11:25:57

We always go early Jan as thats when our local one is.

There's so much happening before christmas - its nice to have a treat for the first part of the new year.

GuillotinedMaryLacey Sat 15-Oct-11 11:30:13

New Year's Eve would be a lovely time to go.

Tomisinathewitchescat Sat 15-Oct-11 11:32:29

we always go in the week between xmas and new year

scarevola Sat 15-Oct-11 11:42:36

There are 12 Days of Christmas, starting on 25th and running up to Twelfth Night. I'd say any of them would be fine!

DeWe Sat 15-Oct-11 13:10:42

We go end of January/beginning of February as that's the one the girls are in.
Just started rehearsals today. smile
Glad they're not doing them before Christmas as I've enough to do then.

HayleySexiWeestains Sat 15-Oct-11 17:37:00

yabu. We used to go evey year when I was little as a birthday treat to me (30th december) always as close to my b/day as possible
I agree is nice to have something to after the christmas -anticlimax-- excitement dies down

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now