Advanced search

Please advice!

(11 Posts)
funkyjoe Fri 14-Oct-11 23:45:40

Im living in ireland. My son needs his tonsils & adenoids removed, There was a mix up on the public list here, his name was never added on the waiting list. My partner is from england- Hillingdon orginally.
wOULD it be possible to find a hospital nearby and i would pay privately? Otherwise its 2-3 years waiting list or over€2500 to pay privately here.
Can any one please advice?
Thanks in advance.

Birdsgottafly Fri 14-Oct-11 23:48:17

Is there no way that you can get someone involved to sort this out, your MP or health secetary?

I am from the UK so don't understand the Irish system.

FabbyChic Fri 14-Oct-11 23:48:19

Its going to cost you about £2k here too.

troisgarcons Fri 14-Oct-11 23:49:48

It will be a lot more than 2.5K here , privately, with no insurance to have a tonsilectomy

Its not an emergency op so no hope of doing the 'NHS tourist' thing either.

sunshineandbooks Sat 15-Oct-11 00:01:11

I really sympathise. Both my DC had this operation and they really needed it. If someone had told me that they'd have had to wait a further three years I'd have broken down and cried. It's horrible when you've got a child who's suffering.

I think Birds is right. The best way round this is to kick up a stink. Going privately in either the UK or Ireland is going to cost you lots. I don't know how it works in Ireland, but take a look at your local health authority/PCT's complaints policy to make sure you follow their procedures and keep working your way up until you get what you want. I'd start with your DS's consultant and the hospital first, threatening press involvement if necessary.

You're not being awkward or demanding. YOur DS needs this operation and was supposed to be given it. It's their cock-up. Ok, cock-ups happen, that's life, but now it's happened they have a duty to make it right, not let a little boy suffer unnecessarily.

Good luck. smile

funkyjoe Sat 15-Oct-11 00:01:14

Thanks for the replies.
Basically my son at 5 years old(nearly 2yrs ago) was having various throat & sinus infections, week i week out. Brought him to doc as apublic paitent. doctor said both tonsils and adenoids are enlarged, surgery required. Doctor rang 4 weeks later saying my boy is now on a waiting list. list is approx 2 years to get seen by the ENT doctor, Son was every month on anti biotics& suffering. I was ringing doctor, doctor said be paitent its a long list. Fed up of waiting i rang my ENT doctors receptioinst and ahe had no record of him ever been on waiting list!!!Rang Doctor he said sorry , he will go bk on the list . so now im bk to square 1.
Thanks 4 replying

funkyjoe Sat 15-Oct-11 00:02:48

Thanks sunshineandbooks.

springydaffs Sat 15-Oct-11 00:23:32

completely besides the main point, but are you giving him probiotics to counterract the heavy use of anti-biotics? Looking forward to the day when GPs prescribe the both together.

Hope you get this horrible situation sorted soon, awful for your ds to be suffering. have you thought about eg a naturopath to see if there's anything that can be done there re dealing with the root cause/s.

funkyjoe Sat 15-Oct-11 00:33:42

Springdaffs i agree wit you but truthfully i have good intentsions i always have a box of the probiotic sachets in the house, i give him 4 days out of 7 and forget other days..... As for going down the homeopath road. surgery is the only treatment. i have jars & potions creams & drops but they only offer temporary relief. he really needs them out. Even know he is snoring and i can hear him from sister was sitting beside him last week and she had to get up & move away as he was breathing so loudly my poor boy sad

sunshineandbooks Sat 15-Oct-11 00:37:10

One thing you could do if you can afford it, is get him allergy tested (try to choose one where they do a skin-prick test as it's more reliable). Quite often children with ENT problems have mild allergies/food intolerances which, once dealt with, can lead to vast improvements in ENT problems.

A1980 Sat 15-Oct-11 01:15:28

You may well be able to get it on the NHS as your DP is from England. But, as others have said, it's not an emergency procedure. It isnt a case of flying in for the day getting surgery and gonig home. Your DS will go on a waiting list. You'll have to move over here to get it done while you're waiting I assume. That would be more expensive than paying privately. I raise holy hell at home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now