Talk

Advanced search

to say that if you are a single parent..

(125 Posts)
chickentikkatellmethetruth Fri 14-Oct-11 20:18:59

....I take my hat off to you. I really do.

I've been sick for the last two weeks and miserable because DH has been away for half of it and it's been a struggle.

I can't imagine how it must feel to do it alone all, or most of the time.

I really hope this doesn't sound patronising, I just wanted to say, you know, well done you guys.

Cheers wine

cjbartlett Fri 14-Oct-11 20:20:01

it's not the same though because you get to ring dh up all the time and know he's coming back

but I see what you're saying

chickentikkatellmethetruth Fri 14-Oct-11 20:20:52

Eh? I know it's not the same, that's the whole purpose of my post!

stubbornstains Fri 14-Oct-11 20:21:37

Thanks.

cjbartlett Fri 14-Oct-11 20:22:41

oops grin

I see... bit tipsy on pinot blush

scuzy Fri 14-Oct-11 20:23:14

as much as i agree with OP and i have the utmost respect for single parents (be it mum or dad) sometimes having a partner especially in these times with financial worries it can be just as lonely and tough.

we all do a good job!

GypsyMoth Fri 14-Oct-11 20:24:28

Thing is, we cope because we know we have to

And I plan in advance. A full medicine cupboard always. Petrol in the car, spare everything!

Be prepared is my motto

( lone parent to 5)

Theyremybiscuits Fri 14-Oct-11 20:26:42

I thank you OP (takes small bow)

I have just arranged to have an afternoon xmas shopping in Dec with small wine breaks!

I am hoping my Dad will be able to watch the DCs as I haven't been out without them in over a year. They don't see their Dad much. He's very busy indeed.
he's got a new girlfriend

crazynannawitchbitch Fri 14-Oct-11 20:27:08

Agree with ILT...it's all in the planning smile (LP to 3)

cjbartlett Fri 14-Oct-11 20:28:32

yes it's like me saying to full time working mothers 'I don't know how you cope'
because I honestly don't know how they do but I'm sure they'd say a) because they have to and b) it's all in the planning smile

aldiwhore Fri 14-Oct-11 20:29:14

To be honest, nothing compares to lonliness, and when DH is away I really do revel in being queen bee apart from the cuddles on demand. I know some exeptionally happy single mums, and some exceptionally lonely (un)single mums.

But I do understand where you're coming from OP... for myself, I wouldn't cope well being utterly single. But for my mate who's single, the idea of being in a relationship gives her the heebies.

In the manner it was intended I get you. Though I suspect there's many a single mum and not single mum who would argue, rightly, that you've assumed a lot in your OP!! smile No harm meant.

DogsBeastFiend Fri 14-Oct-11 20:29:27

Or all in the muddling through! grin (LP to 2).

LifeIsButtercream Fri 14-Oct-11 20:29:33

All I can say is thanks! smile

AngieWatts Fri 14-Oct-11 20:29:53

I have long thought than rather than bashing single parents, we should be taking our bloody hats off to the majority, who do a tough job alone. I'm not a single parent,but my mum was, and now I am a mother myself I see how hard she worked to keep the whole show on the road.

Single parents - I salute you!

chickentikkatellmethetruth Fri 14-Oct-11 20:29:55

How is "I can't imagine how it must feel" the same as saying "I don't know how you cope" then? confused

gordyslovesheep Fri 14-Oct-11 20:31:41

No I get the sentiment - thanks - although I find it easier than having to cope with a fourth stroppy moody child aka my ex grin

ToothbrushThief Fri 14-Oct-11 20:33:27

Thank you.
smile
Working LP to 3

ToothbrushThief Fri 14-Oct-11 20:34:41

Someone's going to get arsey over the 'working' bit

grin

It's tongue in cheek in response to cj

I'm with dogs about muddling through!

FagAshLill Fri 14-Oct-11 20:36:28

Awww, thank you x

stubbornstains Fri 14-Oct-11 20:36:34

This thread is making me feel all warm and fluffy. Nice wine too.

NotSuchASmugMarriedNow Fri 14-Oct-11 20:37:28

YABU

I was a shit-hot mother when I was married and I'm a shit-hot mother now I'm a single parent.

The fact that I had a partner at some point is irrelevant. Didn't make the slightest bit of difference to my parenting. Why would it?

adamschic Fri 14-Oct-11 20:37:48

I had the worst of both worlds, single and working full time, not in a 'I employ a nanny' situation either. Worked just to pay the mortgage and got very little in benefits. I only had one and she is 18 soon so reckon I've done it!

PeterSpanswick Fri 14-Oct-11 20:39:08

When I'm counting down the minutes til DH gets home and I can have five minutes of Fricking peace time to myself, I often think this. Single parents are saints!

CurrySpice Fri 14-Oct-11 20:41:21

I'll take all the plaudits going. I'm a plaudit whore wink

I think most mothers do an amazing job tbh!

Signed
Full time working LP to 2 (but with a pretty supportive ex and a BF on the side) grin

scuzy Fri 14-Oct-11 20:43:36

i think support networks be in extended family or friends or neighbours make a difference also. hats off to all mums!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now