Talk

Advanced search

To think that Clarks is shit?

(25 Posts)
itspeanutbutterjellytime Fri 14-Oct-11 19:18:03

how are they still in business? Tried to buy some shoes for my one year old last week, and not only was the customer service terrible, the range of shoes was horrible. My DS is only 1, and all the shoes were in varying shades of brown or a dirty blue.

I tried looking online to see if it was just this store, but it's not. Their range is awful, and horribly expensive. I think I'm the only one of my friends who thinks this though; all their children have got Clarks shoes confused

aldiwhore Fri 14-Oct-11 19:20:45

I don't buy clarkes for my kids really as there's never anything we all agree on.

But I do like their grown up comfort shoes/boots... if I want a pair that I know will last forever and be comfy ad infinitum, that's where I go. Which is probably why they are still in business!

I'm lucky in that although my kids have big feet for their ages, their sizes are quite standard, so any old shite will do them without harming their feet.

ScaredBear Fri 14-Oct-11 19:21:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Andrewofgg Fri 14-Oct-11 19:21:28

Never bought DS's shoes there but I never buy my own anywhere else. Local branch always busy. They must be doing something right.

Fixture Fri 14-Oct-11 19:21:53

YANBU. The fitters don't seem to care if you get the right size. And all the girls' shoes are pink, pink, pink.

itspeanutbutterjellytime Fri 14-Oct-11 19:29:19

I love love LOVE shoo shoos, but they don't have any proper walking shoes; just baby shoes. I would totally buy Clarkes if they looked nice, but who wants to dress their little boys in boring brown?

babycham42 Fri 14-Oct-11 19:32:16

I loved Clarks until they measured my DD's feet half a size smaller than they'd previously measured them several months before.....

Having said that,I intend to return to Clarks with the next purchase as I'm so sick of cheap shoes looking so shocking almost immediately.

duvetdayplease Fri 14-Oct-11 19:39:44

I also hate clarks. The service is rubbish and the styles repetitive and dull.

Go to an independent. They sell startrite and all the European brands, and the service in ours is total, total bliss.

The choice is wider and they are able to cater for differences in foot shape much better so the shoes fit better - because they sell shoes from different ranges they say things like 'these brand whatever boots are really good for narrow feet' etc.

The last time I went to clarks (for myself) I ended up walking out emptyhanded, the service was so utterly utterly crap.

EmsieRo Fri 14-Oct-11 19:39:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Fixture Fri 14-Oct-11 19:41:31

Start Rite fitters are much more professional and they have more variety of colours for the shoes.

NinkyNonker Fri 14-Oct-11 19:42:10

Get measured somewhere, then try Happy Little Soles online.

LynetteScavo Fri 14-Oct-11 19:43:39

They are shit, IME. I wish they weren't but they are. sad

AnotherJaffaCake Fri 14-Oct-11 19:45:28

I bought DS some really nice red Start-rite shoes recently. We're lucky in that there's a nice children's shoe shop near us but, having said that, the choice in there was pretty poor for DD recently - just black school shoes, and she had wanted red too!

sittinginthesun Fri 14-Oct-11 19:50:00

I have always shopped at Clarkes, but their service/choice/quality has gradually declined over the last few years.

I have had to return two pairs for DS1 because they literally broke. In august, they told me his current shoes were too small, but they only had trainer style shoes for his age, so I went to an independent - who measured him, checked his current shoes, and said he was fine.

I bought a pair of boots last year, which need reheeling within 6 weeks...

CroissantNeuf Fri 14-Oct-11 19:50:54

I won't normally buy the DCs school shoes from Clarks as I think their fitting is very poor, the range is rubbish and the quality is variable.

This year though I ended up having to buy DS's school shoes from there (due to being unable to drive whilst in plaster) and , lo and behold, less than 4 weeks into the term his shoes developed a great gaping hole in the side -that's less than 20 days of wear!

They have (reluctantly) changed them but I don't hold up much hope for these lasting any longer.

whackamole Fri 14-Oct-11 19:51:31

I like them, mainly because there is a lovely lady there who serves us. She is fab. Not too keen on the price, and tbh I'm not too bothered about having any sort of different or brightly coloured shoes for my two. I just want something comfy and functional that won't fall apart after a week. Preferably for less than £25 but that doesn't often happen.

eragon Fri 14-Oct-11 19:52:42

I hate clar, they have nylon inners, and make the kids feet sweat.

SausageGoulsAndFruitSpooks Fri 14-Oct-11 19:55:49

YANBU

When I took ds1 to get his first pair of shoes, they measured his feet a whole size too small. And I'd bought 2 pairs before realising which they completely and utterly refused to refund until I sat in their shop 2mins before closing time and told them
I wasn't moving anywhere until they refunded.

I went to NEXT and got him measured there, got the right size shoes for his feet for half the price of Clarkes and he outgrew them before they fell apart so good quality.

Will never go back to Clarkes. angry

itspeanutbutterjellytime Fri 14-Oct-11 19:58:19

ninky thanks for the recommendation, those shoes are much nicer!

stressheaderic Fri 14-Oct-11 19:59:02

I love Clarks, I'm still wearing a pair of winter boots that I bought there 5 years ago and they look as good as new and feel super comfy.
DD's shoes from there have been great, her white summer holiday sandals didn't rub her bare wet feet once and her red mary-janes hereare non-pink, non-sparkly and pretty damn hardwearing.
Sorry to go against the grain, but I think they're worth every penny! Cheapo shoes = false economy.

DrinkYourWeakLemonDrinkNow Fri 14-Oct-11 20:02:14

Oh yes Clarks and the 'we care' rubbish they spout - then go and put toys in the heels hmm and hike up the cost accordingly. Tbh all that malarky about trained fitters is misleading. It's not rocket science and is pretty hit and miss at best.

They get away with it because there is a serious lack of competition on the highstreet wrt childrens school shoes. I spent £122 there on 3 pairs of absurdly priced school shoes in Septshock. The 'choice' was pathetic and they're nothing special.

My 9 yr old dd who has pretty normal feet seemed for some inexplicable reason to confound the 'assistant' to such a degree that she said I'd have to look in the women's section instead. For school shoes. I mean fgs, she's 9 angry

coffeeinbed Fri 14-Oct-11 20:02:30

I bought some last week and and will get a second one tomorrow - look lovely - well, I like them, and are comfortable - I have to walk for bloody miles in them.
So there.

itspeanutbutterjellytime Fri 14-Oct-11 20:02:52

stress I agree; buy cheap, buy twice. Hence why I went to Clarkes.

I don't mind paying out, but I resent paying £25 for a pair of shoes I don't even like the look of. So many of them are brown suede; that is just going to get ruined in 5 minutes, and who dresses a little boy in brown? He's 1, not 51!

marzipananimal Fri 14-Oct-11 20:13:11

My 1 year old DS has brown shoes - I like them! smile They're not from clarks though, we have a good independent near us (though expensive - eek!)

CroissantNeuf Fri 14-Oct-11 20:21:11

stress and itspeanut.. -I don't think people are necessarily saying to 'buy cheap', just not to buy Clarks.

For school shoes I prefer Startrite and for childrens shoes in general Jones are good (but neither are cheap).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now