Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to not like running in the dark on my own???

(22 Posts)
ilovewenger Fri 14-Oct-11 19:14:32

Now it's dark in the evenings I'm having to run round the streets on my own in the dark (well apart from streetlights). This freaks me out!!

There are a few people out, (ie dog walkers, teenagers etc) but not loads. My midweek runs are usually only half hour or so.

Am I just being a scaredy cat? Do you run on your own in the dark?

butterflyexperience Fri 14-Oct-11 19:16:27

No not yet run alone in the dark.
Nothing wring with being cautious

aldiwhore Fri 14-Oct-11 19:16:36

Well I don't like/can't run so for that YABVU because I'm jealous.

But you're NBU for not liking running in the dark.

Round here we don't even have street lights (well we do but they haven't worked since I moved here 8 years ago and for the council tax we pay its VU - but that's a different thread for a different day).

Can you find a running buddy, or go early morning?

babycham42 Fri 14-Oct-11 19:17:57

Would you be able to get a friend to come?YANBU - if you're scared,you're scared.I reckon you'd like not to feel like that though.

Is it quite 'safe' where you run?Is there reason for being scared?

Do you reckon you could face the fear and do it anyway?

GypsyMoth Fri 14-Oct-11 19:22:19

I run in the dark alone. Dd sometimes cones along, but prefer her not to. She talks for England!

I don't go round the park anymore. 2 sex attacks in broad daylight reported recently, so stick to paths with streetlights. Just terns and dogwalkers and fellow runners.

I never feel scared, am I odd ? Has never occurred to me really

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Fri 14-Oct-11 19:26:28

YANBU it is creepy in the city, even more creepy in the country side. I broke my nose while just walking in the dark because a car lights blinded me and I missed the step, so be careful...

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Fri 14-Oct-11 19:26:44

YaBU to run though grin

Wheelybug Fri 14-Oct-11 19:28:02

I quite like running in the dark ! But its pretty safe where I am (south west london). The worst bit is the uneven pavements.

babycham42 Fri 14-Oct-11 19:29:04

What are you actually scared of?Is it being attacked,or are you scared of the dark,or have you watched too many horror films?

ScaredKittyWitchyKitty Fri 14-Oct-11 19:47:50

I've been running in the dark but always stick to streets alongside busy roads and well-populated areas. I'd never run in a park or deserted area at night. I actually quite like going in the early evening as it's just gone dark - I feel kind of cocooned by the darkness <weirdo emoticon>.

babycham42 Fri 14-Oct-11 20:00:44

I'm not being flippant asking that by the way.My imagination and fear of the dark are my biggest obstacles and it's just a case of mind over matter.

I was attacked years ago and it left me scared of being out alone after dark or in an isolated area in the daylight.I had a real feeling of panic descend upon me.But gradually,having decided I was not going to let my attacker dictate what I do for the rest of my life,I made myself face it and do those things but while keeping myself as safe as possible.
I'm not saying everyone would be able to do that or that that you would necessarily need to if you didn't want but I found that I didn't want to be restricted so badly.

Someone once said to me that there is nothing to be afraid of but fear itself.

ilovewenger Fri 14-Oct-11 20:06:07

I'm not actually sure what I'm scared of! I suppose its being attacked or something of that nature. Where I live is a really nice area and it has a low crime rate but I still worry!
None of my friends are into running so do it alone, I could join a running club I suppose but I like the freedom of running where and when I like!
Thanks for all the replies! smile

babycham42 Fri 14-Oct-11 20:06:51

By the way I now love to run alone in the countryside.....

ilovewenger Fri 14-Oct-11 20:07:42

babycham42 sorry to hear that you were attacked and good for you for not letting it dictate your life!

FebreezeYourJeans Fri 14-Oct-11 20:08:37

I love running under cover of darkness, but then I am unfit and have hideous wobbly bits sad

I run through the streets of SW london and have never been afraid, I couldn't run in rural darkness though......No one to hear you scream grin

NoNoNoMYDoIt Fri 14-Oct-11 20:13:04

if you are freaked out, then YANBU. trying to tell someone else not to run because it's not safe would BU. i have people all the time telling me it's not safe to run in the dark. i have never been freaked though - and i run at all times of the day and night. mostly i get up early (5.30-ish) and run when it's still dark but there is hardly anyone around. not sure whether that would be more or less freaky to someone who is freaked by the dark. i also wear a head torch, reflective kit and run on unlit country roads in the dark. also do it in the ice and snow. it really doesn't bother me one bit.

TiaMariaandDietCoke Fri 14-Oct-11 20:14:42

haven't been running for a while, but didn't bother me when it was dark - the area is pretty well lit and 'safe'. I did notice some other runners with little led lights (one had them on their shoes and another on their arm) - would that help do you think? or music (if you don't listen while you run already) - and if you're worried about an attack or something, maybe an alarm? (personally I think I'd be more worried if i carried an alarm though - like I was expecting something to happen - but I'm a bit wierd like that!)

SixtyFootDoll Fri 14-Oct-11 20:20:16

YANBU our local council have switched off a lot of street lights. I run along main roads, however they are so dark I cant see what's underfoot and have twisted my ankle a few times.

topknob Fri 14-Oct-11 20:27:58

Serious question but can you borrow a friends dog? I would never go out at night by myself but if I take my dog I feel much better ! x

I like running in the dark, trust me no one wants to see my wobbly bits and as have got a few to shrink/get rid off.

I'm lucky though as have our dog to keep me company (trust me not a guard dog and would prob bolt if someone did come up to us) but a deterrant. I'm also lucky as our street lighting is good and I stick close to home.

The only thing I don't like is the uneven pavements

chickentikkatellmethetruth Fri 14-Oct-11 20:44:03

I'm with you OP. This is why I run on a treadmill!

MrsWifty Fri 14-Oct-11 20:53:17

YANBU - it's not pleasant. You definitely feel safer in a well-lit city setting, although when I ran in south London I always made sure I took off my rings first. However, I used to love running along a deserted wintry Southend seafront, it felt quite liberating. In all cases, the fear of wonky pavements or slippy leaves was the greatest as I'm such a klutz, and I'm aware I'm very lucky not to have had anything worse happen to me.

OP I would really recommend joining a running club though. I hated the thought of it at first, but my mate dragged me along and it was what turned me from a reluctant runner to one who raved about endorphins and other boring stuff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now