Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to not want a workman to poo in my toilet?

(653 Posts)
CreamolaFoamless Fri 14-Oct-11 14:00:26

Earlier today I was having my boiler serviced and two men came to do it.

The older man said 'can I use your toilet' , I said 'yes of course' and directed him to the bathroom. Thinking he just needed to pass water

But he had a poo in it! He was in there a good 10 minutes and has colleague was looking embarressed as we chatted.

It stank ! Really stank ...why do people think it's ok to poo in someone elses house

Would it be unreasonable to refuse workmen toilet access in future shock

I'm using the term workmen because I don't know what else to call them

GreenEyesandNiceHam Fri 14-Oct-11 14:02:23

Did you want him to shit on your carpet?

switchtvoffdosomelessboring Fri 14-Oct-11 14:02:36

If you need to go....I assume hes out about about all day in peoples houses. YABU.

Open the window. I'm sure you make it smell in there sometimes!

cantspel Fri 14-Oct-11 14:03:02

where would you prefer he pooed?

behind your sofa?

sandyballs Fri 14-Oct-11 14:03:25

If you've gotta go you've gotta go!
smile at 'pass water'

MamaMaiasaura Fri 14-Oct-11 14:03:37

Poor guy could have ibs or some other condition. Regardless everyones poo stinks and I think YABU.

MrSpoc Fri 14-Oct-11 14:03:55

come on Op he asked and you said yes. YABU.

Also if you invite people to your house to undertake work then you have to be prepared to let them use your loo.

onepieceofcremeegg Fri 14-Oct-11 14:04:03

I've no idea how you can stop this really. If you refuse toilet access entirely that (imo) it isn't fair. But if they ask, you can hardly demand to know what they intend to do in there!

Some people afaik find it difficult to "hold on" - if he needed a poo perhaps he needed one fairly immediately. Would you have preferred him to make some excuse and go off for ages to look for a public toilet.

I wouldn't be keen if this happened in my bathroom, but I kind of think you have to accept it might happen.

How would you have felt if it was an overnight visitor/friend visiting for the day/family member who doesn't live in the house?

Slacking9to5 Fri 14-Oct-11 14:04:34

Eeek!

We had this when we had a new garage roof. The roofer guy would disappear every morning at 9.10 with his paper, into the downstairs loo for twenty minutes for a dump.

For a week.

ChippingIn Fri 14-Oct-11 14:04:35

YANBU

He should have used the garden.

hmm

YABU

Of couse it's not pleasant for you (or his mate!) but what's he supposed to go, go home half way through a job if he needs the toilet? No everyone poos at 6.30am on the dot you know!

Purplegirlie Fri 14-Oct-11 14:04:37

Bleurgh! YANBU, I wouldn't like it either

onepieceofcremeegg Fri 14-Oct-11 14:05:06

Possibly a partial solution is to ensure you have good ventilation, regardless of who might use it. If we have visitors I tend to leave the bathroom window open, and it kind of solves any smell issues.

KatieMortician Fri 14-Oct-11 14:05:12

What do you think the guy should've done? Brought a Tupperware box and had a crap in the back of the van?

Yabvu

piprabbit Fri 14-Oct-11 14:05:33

Are you my MIL?

She has special cleaning equipment which is reserved for use after workmen have visited the facilities.

buttonmoon78 Fri 14-Oct-11 14:06:04

Does yours not smell? confused

YANBU for not wanting him to - I don't like my dcs pooing in my house grin. YABU for expecting him to hold it in. Even if he doesn't have a medical condition, holding poo in all day would be pretty impressive!

Quite frankly I find your whole attitude [confusing]

worraliberty Fri 14-Oct-11 14:06:30

Get a super sized litter tray?

buttonmoon78 Fri 14-Oct-11 14:06:33

Or even confused

Himalaya Fri 14-Oct-11 14:06:42

PMSL at all the alternative solutions suggested. YABU.

Kayano Fri 14-Oct-11 14:06:54

Is this a joke?
He asked and you said yes he could use the loo! There are no restrictions on such a request!

worldgonemad72 Fri 14-Oct-11 14:07:00

I think yabu, he asked, you said yes. He probably felt embarrased but must of needed to go. What do you think toilets are for?

buttonmoon78 Fri 14-Oct-11 14:07:32

And what's with the I'm using the term workmen because I don't know what else to call them ?

LetThereBeRock Fri 14-Oct-11 14:07:35

It's a loo. You are supposed to urinate and defecate into it.That's the whole point of the bloody thing!

Why are people so bloody precious about their loos on MN?

Pandemoniaa Fri 14-Oct-11 14:07:38

Get him to leave his arse at home. Then you won't be troubled in future.

onepieceofcremeegg Fri 14-Oct-11 14:08:08

There have been stories on here before of visiting persons (be they ils/tradespeople or whatever) pooing in someone else's bathroom.

I think it is ok.

What is not ok (and I have read some terrible tales) is if the toilet is left unflushed/blocked. Or if there is a real mess left in there with no effort to clean up or to mention/apologise. If the person has not attempted to ventilate (window/extractor fan).

Smell isn't pleasant but as long as it doesn't go along with big skid marks, splashes on the seat/pan and other unpleasantness, generally you have to put up with it.

MumblingAndBloodyRagDoll Fri 14-Oct-11 14:09:32

Gaaak! Beugh! BLERCH!

YANBU I cannot even cope with my PILS doing it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now