Talk

Advanced search

to be really pissed off that my 5 mile commute now takes at least an hour.

(12 Posts)
azazello Fri 14-Oct-11 13:19:31

I live just outside the city where I work with easy access to a very good bus service - a bus every 8 minutes from the park and ride or buses stopping near my house which go about every 15 minutes. Prices went up for the buses a couple of months ago and the Council has recently brought in charging for the park and ride. The traffic is now absolutely terrible.

The journey to the park and ride used to take 10-15 minutes, it is now closer to 40. The bus journey from home is even longer as there aren't bus lanes most of the way.

AIBU to think it should be possible to travel this distance in 30 minutes or so and that the Councils should sort it out.

MrsStephenFry Fri 14-Oct-11 13:39:48

5 miles? Get a bicycle, you'll get there in half the time.

NotSuchASmugMarriedNow Fri 14-Oct-11 13:41:51

Yep, a bike ought to do it.

bigkidsdidit Fri 14-Oct-11 13:47:02

Or a scooter.

worraliberty Fri 14-Oct-11 13:48:22

Have you contacted the Council about it?

switchtvoffdosomelessboring Fri 14-Oct-11 13:48:29

Even if you walk you'd be there quicker , and as a bonus you'd be fitter and probably lose a few pounds (not suggesting that you need to but it would be welcome for most of us, and if you don't need to you could eat more biscuits - win win!)

CaptainNancy Fri 14-Oct-11 13:52:32

Might be difficult to get 2.4 children and a DH on the back of a bike! wink

JarethTheGoblinKing Fri 14-Oct-11 13:53:40

Sounds like where I live. Hadn't made the connection between the park and ride charging and the extra traffic. I wonder if we're talking about the same place smile

If its the city I'm thinking of I wouldn't cycle in if you paid me.

switchtvoffdosomelessboring Fri 14-Oct-11 13:58:39

Captain Nancy a tandem with a childs trailer on the back!

just hope it doesn't rain

JarethTheGoblinKing Fri 14-Oct-11 14:03:51

To be fair though, even if cycling is an option for the OP it may not be for many other people.

At least its half term soon. That should ease things a bit.

azazello Fri 14-Oct-11 14:18:01

I do cycle sometimes but it has a steep hill between two very busy roundabouts and I end up terrifying myself every time I go near it. I'm soon going to be doing some of the journey with DD as well. When we go 'family cycling' she uses a tagalong but I don't think thats an option on this road.

I think it is the same place Jareth! Beginning with O?! Lots of extremely inept cyclists and angry drivers around from the beginning of October?

I've run in or out a few times as running is more my thing than cycling. It still takes about 45 minutes though and I can only do a one-way trip a week a day.

I've written to the Council who say the bus services are more punctual now so what is the issue. This could be something to do with extending the expected journey time.

JarethTheGoblinKing Fri 14-Oct-11 14:37:44

It's the road works on Old Road causing delays in that area, it should ease in a couple of weeks I think

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now