Talk

Advanced search

To think outing a paedophile on fb is not a good idea?

(3 Posts)
StellaAndFries Fri 14-Oct-11 12:42:20

One of my neighbours is on my fb list and has posted a status asking for the door number of a paedophile in our small village and listing the street he lives in and who he lives with.

Obviously if I can work out who she means then so can everyone else, I already knew about his conviction and so have put my own safeguarding measures, ie knowing where dd1 is if she plays out at the park, arming her with a mobile and stranger danger talk as well as making sure she's always playing out in a group.

IMO I'm forewarned and can protect my children accordingly, I don't think a witch hunt is nessersary whereas everyone else who has commented are baying for blood. Fwiw I also know about another paedophile in the village who abused a member of my family decades ago, but I don't see the need for hunting and singling them out. They have to live somewhere and I'd rather know than be blasé about the whole thing.

Sorry for the ramble.

gordyslovesheep Fri 14-Oct-11 12:44:53

You are NBU - no one needs to know where people convicted of sexual offenses live - you would, I am sure, put all those safety rules in place ANYWAY regardless

it's false security - what about all the child abusers who live in your area who have no convictions?

slavetofilofax Fri 14-Oct-11 12:45:13

Who you are depends on whether it's a good idea or not.

It's not good for the paedophile, but it's good for the people who didn't know that they have now been informed and like you can now put safeguarding measures in place.

The people who are baying for blood need to calm down and mind their own business though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now